PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Off

ursus
07-09-2012, 11:31 PM
I started out tonight doing great, six strikes out of the first 8 frames. But about half the people on both teams didn't feel like getting up and bowling within a decent amount of time so about half way through the 2nd game my bowling started going to hell. What was a nice even rhythm got to be long stetches in between frames, and my back started to tighten up and I couldn't seem to buy a strike. Then half way throught the third game they finally decided that they were so far behind and wanted to get out of there that they were ready to bowl when it was their turn, I regained a little bit of the rhythm back and started striking again. I can't believe how much that little bit of change in pace affected me both mentally and physically.

billf
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
When that happens, which is a lot since I bowl on two teams with my ex-sister-in-law, I end up standing. I prefer a nice, steady, consistent pace that tends to be too fast for most people, especially the ones my age or older. I respect the older bowlers and don't complain. At times, ok many times, I've had to rush this person on my team. She always seems busy doing something else when it's her turn. I also hate waiting for the next bowler to walk from their seat to the approach. Why can't people be picking up their ball when their teammate is coming back? I understand some people want to relax but I am tired of always being the last team done due to my own teammate! If you can't smoke a cigarette between games and be ready when it's your turn then don't go out for one! I know, use that time to use the bathroom instead of waiting until you're suppose to bowl. I tried getting her to bowl on her husband's new team and have my daughter replace her but she doesn't want to bowl with her husband because he rushes her even more rudely than I do lol

ursus
07-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Amen!! I would probably be more pissed off but the said offenders had good games in the 2nd and 3 rd game when i was off and carried us to getting 4 out of 4 points

GeorgiaStroker
07-10-2012, 12:47 AM
I can understand someone not being ready to bowl when they are doing something like using the restroom or getting a beer or whatever. Yes too many times they wait til it's almost their turn to run off and do these things and that grinds my gears but I can live with it. But what really gets me is when they are just sitting there in the bowlers seat and the bowler before them has finished and they sit there like they are waiting on a written invitation. Makes me wish they had ejector seats installed. I'm with Bill, stand up pick up your ball while the bowler in front of you is making his delivery, let him exit the approach, then step up, go through a quick pre-shot routine, check the adjacent lanes and go.

billf
07-10-2012, 01:18 AM
My teammate bugs me with the bathroom break and concession runs because she bowls leadoff, I'm anchor and she will wait until I'm bowling to go! She is also a sit in her seat while it's her turn type. What really set me off with her is when last year I was wondering where she went; she went for a smoke DURING the game. I no longer have the patience to deal with her on a weekly basis. I feel that attitude is disrespectful to her team and our opponents. When and if the other team smokes then I have zero problem with a little more than normal time being taken BETWEEN games.

J Anderson
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
I prefer a nice, steady, consistent pace that tends to be too fast for most people, especially the ones my age or older.

In my experience, the senior bowlers with a few exceptions are the ones who are up and ready to go when its their turn. They are also the first to grumble about slow play. It seems like the 20 to 40 year old crowd that gets caught up in conversations, or texting their friends that need the constant reminders.

The German Shepherd
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
<snip> I'm with Bill, stand up pick up your ball while the bowler in front of you is making his delivery, let him exit the approach, then step up, go through a quick pre-shot routine, check the adjacent lanes and go.

That is my usual routine, but once in a reat while we get so far ahead of the other team that if I go aahead and take my shot, a member of the other team will be up on both lanes in our pair. When that happens, I will let a couple of their bowlers go before I do. That way it keeps a more even pace...

Jay

Hampe
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
What really set me off with her is when last year I was wondering where she went; she went for a smoke DURING the game. Wow....the two leagues I play in that would NOT be tolerated. She would get a 0 for each frame she missed, and I don't know any teams that would put up with that kind of behaviour.

MICHAEL
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
In my experience, the senior bowlers with a few exceptions are the ones who are up and ready to go when its their turn. They are also the first to grumble about slow play. It seems like the 20 to 40 year old crowd that gets caught up in conversations, or texting their friends that need the constant reminders.

Anderson, you are RIGHT on in that regards!!! I am almost 64, and I am, (as my wife says, always ready)!! I do have my ball in hand, oil rubed off, ready to bowl as soon as its my turn!! Some have a hard time walking, but guess what!!!! They are always there, ready to bowl when its their turn!

When I bowl with 30, 40 year olds, A DIFFERENT STORY! ONE woman was actually filing and painting her finger nails!!! REALLY>>> GEEEEEE!!! Help!! Another problem is smoking! They have to go outside! I thought about bring a dozen of them smokless things,,,, or even several packs of candy smokes!!! Anything,,,!!
I can and do bowl at a very fast pace many games in a role... not sure how many I could bowl,,, I just know that the Dude, and myself last friday bowled 11 games, and it was at that time 9:30 pm ,,,,, we debated maybe going till midnight, but the Dude had a big game Saturday, so we didn't!
I know some older bowlers who wear diapers, just to keep league play moving FAST!! Older people are not the problem, but the solution to many problems in the alleys... and WHEN was the last time you saw a 60,70, 80, or even 90 year old texing on their phone while bowling???

billf
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
How many people over 60 actually know how to text? My mother just turned 64 and texts which amazes everyone I know.

Tampabaybob
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm 65 soon to be 66 and I always get up when the bowler in front of me is getting ready to throw his first ball. This is my time to get into the zone and concentrate on my next shot. When he finishes, I'm right there to high five or whatever and I know where I'm going to throw the next shot. No rushing, but a good steady pace that helps keep everything going. I've noticed over the last year or so, my team mates have started doing the same routine so it moves at a good pace. Everyone on the team is over 50 and there's no dust under our butts.

As far as your ex-sister-in-law, depending on how much you want to stay friendly with her, I'd let her know that you'll be going with a different team next year. Either that or go to another league. No one should have to put up with that. Lot's of luck with that scenario.

Bob