PDA

View Full Version : What is a swiss bowling format?

JaMau24
07-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Anyone familiar with that? There is a tournament I'm considering for late September that is a "Swiss Trios" tournament.. Obviously I know Trios is a three person team, but how does the Swiss format work?

Hampe
07-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Beats me......the trio tournaments here are just teams of 3, total team score. Pretty much what you'd expect. Depending on the tournament there might be different rules (either a handicap or divisions based on average), or your individual trio score will be used as a quali for a singles final. As far as I know there is no special "Swiss Trio" rules.

- EDIT -
Maybe this is what they're talking about:

Utilizing the lane patterns from the 2009 USBC Masters, the tournament was bowled in a Swiss format with three-person teams bowling six games one day and six games the second day. A handicap event, points were awarded on a Peterson Point system, with teams receiving one point for each individual game won (including handicap), as well as two points for winning team totals, for a total of five points possible per game. Points earned during Saturday’s round carried to Sunday; the team with the most points for the two days was crowned champion.

http://trackbowling.com/about_track/news_detail/track_sponsors_2010_swiss_trios_tournament/

Sounds kinda weird to me. I wonder when they say teams get a point for games won.....is that out of all the teams, or are they playing one of the other teams picked at random head to head? Seems kinda unfair if there are 29 teams and you only play 12.....a team could get lucky and play more of the bad teams than the good ones and get the most points. Sounds more like a league format than one for a tournament....

bowl1820
07-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I believe the Swiss Trios format tournament is where each round is a position round.

Just a FYI:

points were awarded on a Peterson Point system, with teams receiving one point for each individual game won (including handicap), as well as two points for winning team totals, for a total of five points possible per game.

That is not the "Petersen" point system, that's a Match Point System.
In the Match Point system each player bowls against the player opposite them in the opponent’s lineup. The points are awarded on an individual and team basis.

The "Petersen" point system is where a player or team receives one point for every xx number of pins scored.
Example: Say each player gets 1 point per 100 pin block. you shoot a 550 series you get 5 points, a 600 series gets 6 points .......

Read more here:
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/9188-Point-Systems-in-Bowling

GeorgiaStroker
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Maybe you have to wear lederhosen and yodel while bowling....Ricola!!!!

billf
07-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Maybe you have to wear lederhosen and yodel while bowling....Ricola!!!!
If that's the case I hope Mike gets a picture of Jason and posts it here.

I like good yodeling, btw

JaMau24
07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Well, I know for the tournament, you bowl 6 games Saturday and 6 Sunday... I guess I'm still a little confused about the Swiss format.

bowl1820
07-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Well, I know for the tournament, you bowl 6 games Saturday and 6 Sunday... I guess I'm still a little confused about the Swiss format.

At the start (1st game/round) you'll be randomly paired against another team (typically by drawing for lanes)
at the end of that game, they will see who's in 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place etc.

At the start of the 2nd game/round, the 1st place team will play the 2nd place team, 3rd place will play 4th, so on and so on.
Then at the end of that game, they will see who's in 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place etc.

Then At the start of the 3rd game/round, the 1st place team will play the 2nd place team, 3rd place will play 4th, so on and so on.

They'll keep doing that for each game, if there's a tie in points. Typically total pins will break the tie.

The total Points for the first day should carry over to the next day of bowling, with the team with the most cumulative points over both days being crowned the winner.

JaMau24
07-14-2012, 07:27 PM
At the start (1st game/round) you'll be randomly paired against another team (typically by drawing for lanes)
at the end of that game, they will see who's in 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place etc.

At the start of the 2nd game/round, the 1st place team will play the 2nd place team, 3rd place will play 4th, so on and so on.
Then at the end of that game, they will see who's in 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place etc.

Then At the start of the 3rd game/round, the 1st place team will play the 2nd place team, 3rd place will play 4th, so on and so on.

They'll keep doing that for each game, if there's a tie in points. Typically total pins will break the tie.

The total Points for the first day should carry over to the next day of bowling, with the team with the most cumulative points over both days being crowned the winner.

Hmmm.. Sounds interesting... Thanks bowl1820

MICHAEL
07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
The Swiss format sounds like it could be fun!! Dude has there been any of that format used around kansas city?

martin
07-19-2012, 04:11 AM
that sounds like a chess format.. they use that in bowling also?