PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article

GeorgiaStroker
07-14-2012, 12:13 AM
So I'm reading Bob Johnson's column 'Strikes Me' in this month's Bowlers Journal. He's writing about how the PBA player of the year, Sean Rash, pulled in a measly $140,250 this year. He earned less than a billiards player, a bull rider, a dart player, a fisherman, a racquetball player and 2 triathetes. Most disturbing was that Sean was out-earned by competitive eater Joey Chestnut. Bob blames the lack of corporate sponsers and the explosion of cable TV that opened up the opportunity for niche sports to gain exposure and draw off sponsership from bowling. Bob states that the PBA's new team concept may help but it's too early to tell. This got me to thinking about the failed National Bowling league back in 1961 Where they tried forming a league of teams from cities around the country that would travel around playing in arenas built for the purpose. Sort of a miniature MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL concept. The idea being people would root for their home team, buy tickets to attend the matches etc... Never got off the ground as not too many cities were willing to pony up for a bowling arena, especially since the number of seats couldn't be very great because no one want's to watch bowling from nose bleed seats. I wonder though if it may make more sense now. It's not too difficult to set up temporary lanes. They did it outside at the women's open. Could just as easily set it up in a basketball arena. It would be neat to watch your favorite team take on a cross town or cross country rival on TV, or get good seats for the playoffs (bowloffs?). What do you guys think?

billf
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I would go but I am a bowling geek. Definitely easier and cheaper to do than before with synthetic lanes versus real wood.

JaMau24
07-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Wow. That sounds pretty cool. I think that would sound cool to all of us, but would it sound cool to the general sports fan? I hope so, but I don't know. I do think it would get more interest than the way it is currently. If you have a team to root for, other than an individual, it brings more excitement to it.

billf
07-14-2012, 12:45 AM
One issue. Most alleys are not on the edge of the street where they can easily be seen. Woodland bowl in Indianapolis is a prime example. I went to find it last night so I would have a clue this morning. My GPS said I had arrived at my destination. I was in the middle of a 5 lane road. All I saw were car dealerships, restaurants and enterprise rent-a-car. So I pulled over into enterprise and called my wife to double check the address. It was correct but even going lot to lot I couldn't find it. I went back to my hotel and looked on Google maps again. It was behind two car dealerships and some restaurants. The driveway actually went through the Porshe dealers back lot where they had a bunch of new cars parked. If I know what I'm looking for a had that much trouble, how would the average person find it? There are a ton of alleys that way in the mid-west, set back, small sign, other businesses in front of them. To get bowling out front we need the buildings out front too!

GeorgiaStroker
07-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Yes but if the New York team was playing on temp lanes in Madison Square Garden that wouln't be an issue. Granted they would have to set it up more like a concert on the floor rather than using the whole arena, but there would be plenty of room for multiple cameras and most importantly sponsor logos.

billf
07-14-2012, 01:31 AM
I was thinking along the lines of Central Park in January. If the women can play a championship in a dust storm than why not a snow storm? Bowling parka anyone?

GeorgiaStroker
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Don't encourage Michael. Perfect conditions for the you know what.

The German Shepherd
07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
That sounds like a pretty cool idea. The team concept works well in other sports and thought there are some logistical challenges I think that with the right minds working on it, things would work.

Jay