PDA

View Full Version : A good day of bowling.

beerframe
07-14-2012, 02:18 PM
I went bowling at Shelby Lanes on a whim yesterday. It's one of the nicer bowling alleys in Michigan, because it's further away from the inner city. I shot a 532 series with a high game of 201. Not bad for just randomly hitting the lanes. I just have to keep working on my targeting and game mechanics, it'll just get better from there. :cool: I also need a ball for dry lane conditions, this was my bane yesterday, throwing snappy reactives with not alot of oil was a nightmare. Maybe a Hammer Blue?

billf
07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Storm's tropical series works well on dry. I currently use a Storm Natural Pearl on dry lanes. Still waiting for DV8 to come out with a true dry lane ball. Others may say the DV8 Misfit but for me that works better on a dry-medium lane. Bone dry it's too strong.If it's a day that I'm having trouble controlling my rev rate and reaction then I use my plastic Storm Ice spare ball then I can use all the hand I want and it won't break more than 20 or so boards.

The German Shepherd
07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Storm's tropical series works well on dry. I currently use a Storm Natural Pearl on dry lanes. Still waiting for DV8 to come out with a true dry lane ball. Others may say the DV8 Misfit but for me that works better on a dry-medium lane. Bone dry it's too strong.If it's a day that I'm having trouble controlling my rev rate and reaction then I use my plastic Storm Ice spare ball then I can use all the hand I want and it won't break more than 20 or so boards.

Ditto to billf. The Tropical Heat series by Storm is an great choice. They do not over-react like some of the more aggressive balls. I tried throwing a Critical Theory on a broken down pattern Thursday night. Evan after a good polish, the CT was totally erratic - either over-reacting or (if I played it in the oil) skidding past the head-pin. Wish I had one of those Tropicals...

J.

billf
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Balls with asymmetrical cores tend to be too touchy on their reaction on drier lanes. What makes them so nice and angular on oil makes them a hot mess on drier conditions.

got_a_300
07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Balls with asymmetrical cores tend to be too touchy on their reaction on drier lanes. What makes them so nice and angular on oil makes them a hot mess on drier conditions.
Amen to that bill I couldn't have said it better myself I always use something with
a polished surface and a plain old symmetrical core or a plastic ball when the lanes
dry up.

billf
07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Before I learned more ( a lot more) about balls the past 18 months, I always bought the latest, greatest, most massive hook potential monster I could. Then wondered what the heck I was doing wrong when I couldn't get it to drive through or at times, even hit the pocket. Now I know how hard it is to out bowl the wrong equipment and how much easier it is on the body and mind to use the ball for what it was designed for.

martin
07-16-2012, 05:11 AM
since i effectively only use the Brunswick Anaconda (my only other ball is a second-hand ball that i very very rarely use), i use it on all conditions.. heavy oil, medium, dry.. lol..
it works on all conditions (just have to adjust my lines) but it works best on medium to medium-dry in my opinion..