PDA

View Full Version : Track area

edpup316
07-18-2012, 04:13 AM
I was wondering what your track can tell you. Theres all those little track marks that run across the ball but can they tell you anything? axis tilt? estimated rev rate? ect...

martin
07-18-2012, 04:52 AM
usually it tells the axis tilt..

bowl1820
07-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I was wondering what your track can tell you. Theres all those little track marks that run across the ball but can they tell you anything? axis tilt? estimated rev rate? ect...

It can't tell you the rev rate but,

The two main things it can tell you are the P.A.P. location and Axis Tilt.

There are several threads on finding the P.A.P. also you can look here:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Measure_Bowlers_Positive_Axis_Poin t

How to measure Axis can be found here:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Axis_tilt
all you need is a flexible ruler

You can also measure the flare, get a basic idea if the bowler is a full roller, 3/4 roller etc., where the bow tie is.

MICHAEL
07-27-2012, 12:25 AM
full roller,,, what is a full roller? I understand the term spinner, tweaker, stroker,,, but what is a full roller, and what come after or before a full roller?

Josch
07-27-2012, 12:32 AM
A full roller is someone who's track is the full circumference of the ball (no axis tilt). In a right handed full roller the track is usually to the left of the fingers, right through the center span and to the right of the thumb. Here's a pic of a layout for a full roller. You can see the track as I described it.
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c0374331/Massacre_DL7.png
After full roller comes semi roller, semi spinner, and spinner. They are all just terms for measuring axis tilt. Lowest is full roller and highest is spinner.

bowl1820
07-27-2012, 09:51 AM
full roller,,, what is a full roller? I am understand the term spinner, tweaker, stroker,,, but what is a full roller, and what come after or before a full roller?

Josch covered it pretty good!

Oh and a "Tweaker" is a methamphetamine user.

it's "Tweener" in bowling

You have the bowling styles:
Spinner, Cranker, Tweener, Stroker and a Full Roller.

Then you have the 3 basic roll types:
Spinner, 3/4 Roller and Full Roller

Their basically the same thing, just the matter of the context they are being used in.

MICHAEL
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Josch covered it pretty good!

Oh and a "Tweaker" is a methamphetamine user.

it's "Tweener" in bowling

You have the bowling styles:
Spinner, Cranker, Tweener, Stroker and a Full Roller.

Then you have the 3 basic roll types:
Spinner, 3/4 Roller and Full Roller

Their basically the same thing, just the matter of the context they are being used in.

Is there any advantage to one over the other? Do most GREAT bowlers, use one style over the other? Can you think of one PBA Top bowler that is a full roller/stroker?

MICHAEL
07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I am having my new V.G. redrilled becaue the track went through the thumb hole. They are moving the thumb 3", and also moving the finger holes to correct the tracking through the thumb! Hope it works,,, it has been a weak ball for me, unless the lanes are dry!

MICHAEL
07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
thanks Josh, and bowl1820! Nice diagram josh!

J Anderson
07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Is there any advantage to one over the other? Do most GREAT bowlers, use one style over the other? Can you think of one PBA Top bowler that is a full roller/stroker?

Many of the pros back in the 50s and 60s threw a full roller, by the mid seventies almost all had switched to the 3/4 roller. The two greatest bowlers of all time, Earl Anthony and Walter Ray Williams, would be considered 3/4 roller/strokers. Tom Baker, (the bowler - not Dr. Who), had some success with a spinner type release after he hurt his wrist late in his career.

edpup316
07-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Tom Baker, (the bowler - not Dr. Who), had some success with a spinner type release after he hurt his wrist late in his career.

Tommy Baker is a god among men. After being so successful early in his carrier, losing all that momentum with his broken wrist and then coming back years later with a totally different style to win several pba and senior tournys including the 04' PBA World Championship, he is simply great... sorry went off on a tangent. can ya tell i like Tommy Baker a little??

MICHAEL
07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Having two of my strike balls redrilled, was told that I was right inbetween a full roller, and the next catagory,,, I guess 3/4 roller? I will find out more later today when I pick up my Virtual Gravity! I was tracking over the thumb hole! The redrilling is suppose to correct that! I was not getting much hook out of the V.G. thanks for all the info!

bowl1820
07-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Just remember while changing the layout can move where the track is.

If your releasing the ball with the fingers not rotating counter clock wise, either lifting straight, or slightly clockwise is a common cause of tracking over the thumb hole too. So You may also have to adjust your release some also, to help move the track away from the holes.

billf
07-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Track area will also show you a bow tie. This will let you know how much flare you are getting. The more flare the more often a fresh area of the ball is contacting the lane rather than just the oil soaked area that just hit the lane hitting again.

MICHAEL
07-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I have, and can clearly see on my Alien,, (black ball), that the flare is about 2 1/2 inches! Does that mean its good that more fresh surface it coming in contact with the lanes? I wipe it off, after every throw! So if I reading you correctly, flare is a good thing?

billf
07-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Flare is a great thing to have. If each time your ball rotates a part of the ball that is fresh contacts the lane then your ball can read the lane easier. If it doesn't flare then your just having oil hitting oil.

MICHAEL
07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks Bill for the info!! I thought it might be a bad thing! One more question: I try to put big revs on the ball and in the process I notice that the ball rotates sideways counter clockwise! When you look at the ball, it looks like its sliding down the oil and spinning perfectly counterclockwise, not like most Really good bowlers balls look. Can you bring your hand over too far, causing this, floating spinning counter clockwise look? I am not sure I am putting this into words correctly, but most pros, have a forward and counter clockwise appearance to their ball as it goes down the lanes,,,, mine looks like a tire spinning in snow, and only when it hits the dry part, it goes into a roll. I am I making it clear what I am trying to ask?

billf
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
If I'm understanding what you are saying, then your axis rotation is what you are talking about. By your description it sounds as if you are around 90 degrees. Yes, this is controlled by how far around the ball you are coming with your hand. This rotation does allow the ball to skid longer before reading the lane. You can practice with your wrist locked at a 45 degree angle to learn that rotation and use the combination to make your ball react when you want it to.

MICHAEL
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
If I'm understanding what you are saying, then your axis rotation is what you are talking about. By your description it sounds as if you are around 90 degrees. Yes, this is controlled by how far around the ball you are coming with your hand. This rotation does allow the ball to skid longer before reading the lane. You can practice with your wrist locked at a 45 degree angle to learn that rotation and use the combination to make your ball react when you want it to.

Remember Bill, English is my second language! I am from Poland, and Pol-lock, is my first language! I am very proficient in the spelling, and grammar of my native country! (give me a break)! Lol!! I come from a town of VERY LARGE, Bold PRINT! So you can imagine how hard this is for me to cope with! (the small unbold writting),,,, yes Ursus,,, I feel your pain too! Hang in there till next week!! We will get another chance at the DUDE~

MICHAEL
07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
The Dude, bowled with Manic, and Iceman today! All my weapons are now ready for WAR! lol

That redrill of the Virtual Gravity Nanno has turned out to be the difference between NIGHT and DAY!!
Wow does that ball have more revolutions, and breaks into the pocket sweet!! I am now falling in love with two of my balls! The V.G. Nanno, and the DV8 marauder! Drilling,,,, drilling,,,, drilling a ball correctly according to “YOUR individual style of bowing”, I find out is KEY!!
I now feel even though I am almost 64, I have the ability and tools to reach those goals of a 300 game, (which I have been close to doing about a dozen times), and that 700 series! I will not die, until I have reached those goals, so help me God!! Lol (:)

Josch
07-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I now feel even though I am almost 64, I have the ability and tools to reach those goals of a 300 game, (which I have been close to doing about a dozen times), and that 700 series! I will not die, until I have reached those goals, so help me God!! Lol (:)

When I read this it reminded me of my dad's towel he got on the 80's.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/armada120/Bowling/Bowling%20Accessories/20120729_193934.jpg

MICHAEL
07-29-2012, 11:49 PM
That was cool, love the towel!!!! LOL.... has he bowled that perfect game yet?

Josch
07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately no. He only bowled for a couple years in the 80's when he was in his late teens and early 20's. He has a trophy in his office for first place in a league he was in. He was in a random companies league since they didn't have enough to start one and his team ended up winning. His high game is 211. He can still bowl in the mid 100's when he goes bowling, which is about once a year.