PDA

View Full Version : New PBA Ruling

The German Shepherd
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
The PBA announced a new rule prohibiting members from using bowling balls until they are officially released to the public. Do you agree or disagree with this new rule?

As for me, I think this is bad marketing...

Jay

JaMau24
07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Disagree with it... I like watching the new balls on TV.. It's almost like an advertisement anyway (them using the unreleased balls all the time). If the public wants to use an unreleased ball, they can either wait for it to come out, or they can put in all the hard work the pros do, get sponsored, and go pro.

RoccoRock
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I think it's good for the companies. Say someone is watching an event, and they see someone using a ball. They say to themselves "I want that ball." They go to the pro shop the next day, "oh, that ball isn't available yet, try this ball, it's from a different company, but it's basically the same." So either the comsumer leaves with another ball, that they didn't really want, and the brand loses, or leaves with no ball. Of course they could wait, but waiting when your buying on impulse doesn't really work out. They could get a ball from the same brand, so the brand doesn't lose out, but the consumer still didnt get exactly what they wanted. Also, if someone walks in and wants a ball, but they uave no idea what they want, a pro shop guy can always say "you'll like this one, Pete Weber juat won with it last week." I can undetstand making people wait, building up anticipation, but I'm the kind of guy I who wants it now. When I bought my 607a, if it wasn't available yet I may have bought a Storm instead. I'm sure Track wouldn't love that.

ursus
07-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I think it is probably a bad decision also. I like the anticipation of the new release and then getting to see a glimpse of it in action just hightens that anticipation. It is good cheap advertisement of product releases. If they wanted to limit it somehow I would have just limited them to maybe using the ball no sooner than a month before the release date.

billf
07-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Well, I sort of, kind of agree to a point. It would be wrong for a PBA player to advance their standing with a ball that for whatever reason the company decided not to release. However, it's obvious that these companies already have these balls and delay the release. Why, I don't know. So on paper (fantasy land) all they would have to do is release the balls earlier. July 25th is DV8's release date this year yet their touring pros' were using the balls during the summer shootout. It may hurt marketing a little but benefit the average bowler more. Most of the pros don't even use the top of the line balls their sponsoring manufacturer makes anyway.

panbanger
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I totally agree with the ruling. If you are a weekend golfer and want Phil Mickleson's putter, I'm sure you can go out and buy it. Should be no different with bowling.

got_a_300
07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Jay I can not find any info on this new rule anyplace where did you
hear or see this new rule at?

Now as for the rule it doesn't really matter to me which way they
do it (pre-release or after release) to use the ball on TV. If it is a
good ball then I might consider purchasing it but by them using it
on TV before it is available to the general public is not really going
to persuade to me buy it when it firsts hits the shelves.

I always wait to see a ball in action in the real world on a THS and
on a sports shot also before I decide on buying it or not. The pros
on TV can make a dog of a ball look decent on TV but in the real
world a dog of a ball is still a dog....................

bowl1820
07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Read the JEFF RICHGELS blog post| Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:00 am here:

Click for The 11th Frame: PBA takes step to level Regional playing field with new ball use rule (http://www.11thframe.com/page/blog_id_5224)

Stormed1
07-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Like mentioned above i like seeing the balls in action before release as it gives me an idea of ball motion etc, It allows me to make recomendations with more than just specs to judge by. It's no different than staff members getting to throw balls in league before they are released

billf
07-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Throwing an unreleased ball in a league is one thing. Being able to have an advantage in a good money tournament because one player can't purchase a ball that the other gets for free, that's just unethical.

eugene02
07-20-2012, 01:10 AM
I don't mind them using because in my country it always comes out faster =P ;P

The German Shepherd
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I hadn't thought of it that way. You make a good point....

Jay

bowl1820
07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
The PBA announced a new rule prohibiting members from using bowling balls until they are officially released to the public. Do you agree or disagree with this new rule?

As for me, I think this is bad marketing...

Jay

As for me from a league bowler standpoint, it doesn't bother me one way or another. So the PBA guy's had the Newest and greatest before everyone else. So what?

Did I break down before just because I couldn't jump in the car and run to the pro shop five minutes after watching bowling on tv and get that new ball bowler X was using? Did I jump up and down and yell "hurray now I can!"?

Was I sitting around wringing my hands because a PBA guy on my league had a ball I couldn't get for an week or two, worrying how he's going to totally dominate the league, just because he had a ball I didn't?

Or if I'm on the tour, I'm going to start running around complaining about the how I have to use that old caveman ball that came out last month?

No.

It's just going to either help or hurt marketing some at first.

billf
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Bowl, so if you were doing the regional last year and all the PBA guys showed up using the Nexxus, Hell Raiser Revenge, Vivid, etc that you were not afforded the opportunity to choose from, thereby making you only a donor to the prize fund, you're ok with that?

bowl1820
07-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Bowl, so if you were doing the regional last year and all the PBA guys showed up using the Nexxus, Hell Raiser Revenge, Vivid, etc that you were not afforded the opportunity to choose from, thereby making you only a donor to the prize fund, you're ok with that?

If I was bowling in the regionals, I'd be a PBA guy thus would have been afforded the opportunity to choose from the newest balls.

As far as the public is concerned this rule changes basically nothing, they either just won't see the newest ball coming out a few weeks early before it hits the shelf or the ball company will just release it a little earlier.

As far as the PBA goes now they just have to wait a few weeks before using that new ball or if the company starts selling it to the public early they'll still have it. Either way Scores are not going to plummet those few weeks or go skyrocketing the the day the ball comes out. and If a bowler didn't have the money or sponsors to get the new ball before, this rule change doesn't change any of that.

dgz924s
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Can't say I agree or disagree. Take 2 pro bowlers, one with a new unreleased ball the other with the latest release, in my experience there is a "learning curve" to a new ball. I find it hard to believe a pro can pick up a new ball and get the ball to react just as they plan which takes any advantage away, for a period of time that is until the pro figures it out so there would not be such a great advantage during this period of time IMHO. The pro however using a ball already in use and figured out would have a bit of an edge during this initial period.

Another thought is that not all balls are going to "be the ball" the pro can master regardless of the advanced technology the ball has, for some, the technology is just not suited to a particular bowlers style, again taking any advantage away.

And lastly, even if there was an advantage but the bowler is "off target" that day and the other "on target". I fail to see how a new ball can be so advanced to make up for a bad day and still overcome any pin difference there may be.

MICHAEL
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Unethical,,,,, really? I am of the opinion personally that balls have reached a point now, that it’s all pretty much hype! I have seen, and looked at all most of the oil patterns, and the huge number of brands and ball characteristics, what can a New and Improved model actually do in the real world, that hasn’t been thought of in the last 15 years. It seems to me they come up with Cool Names, and Nanno,,, Micro, molecular guidance systems, but in the end. The equipment that’s out there now, today, with the best bowlers is as good as it gets!
I think it’s the bowler, not the magic new cover stock!
If I am wrong, what’s next? How much advantage can be expected with a ball surface that is not already there! I think two things make a huge difference in regards to a balls reaction. Number 1. The bowler, his athletic ability, and knowledge, Number 2. The driller and adapting the bowlers style into the drilling of the ball.
I would venture to say, that bowling at this point is as far as it can go with technology! Sort of like the Arrow, in hunting! The arrow that the Indian used back in the 1800’s worked fine, we have improved on it, a bunch, but where do you go from here? It boils down to New Names, and the ( “ I got to have that ball Pete Weber is throwing, did you see the score he got using that baby!!!”)
It’s a good ball, I am sure, but will you bowl like Pete using it!! Nota going to happen!!
I am sure there are guidelines that a ball must have, and rules governing the manufacturing, but I am convinced that there is no magic ball that’s going to be coming out that does anything better then what’s out there now.
Being a GREAT BOWLER, like many sports, is a GIFT! You either have the gift, or not! Sure you can improve on your game a bunch, with good equipment, knowledge, and practice…. But I see no EDGE that can be acquired by a ball, (NOW DAYs), that has not already been addressed, other than a COOL NAME! Soon I fear they will run out of names, and go to naming them with numbers: “ Wow Dude,,, did you see that ball Pete Weber the IX used the other day,,,, the X2235272,,,,, wow…. I got to get one!!”
This all about Hype!!!! IMHA! lol (:)

abishai
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't see a problem with PBA bowlers getting balls before they're released. They're part of the marketing behind these balls and should be the first to be out there using them.

MICHAEL
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Each year the golf ball industry comes out with the new improved version of the same thing! I remember one that had a computer designed dimple system, that corrected hooks, and slices, automatically! I gave it a try, and guess what? No difference, spin,,,, SPIN! The art of making golf balls and bowling balls has reached a point where you have all it takes to bowl some great games! Most of what it takes, is knowledge, practice, focus, and more practice!! It doesn’t hurt to just have plane good rhythm, balance, endurance, and strength! Maybe even a network in your brain that gives you the ability to do many of the things mentioned above! What makes a golfer great, the best equipment money can buy? Or is it a combination of all the things I have mentioned above! The best bat in the world is not going to give you a home run record ect..ect…ect!!
What I am trying to say is the lanes out there now have been around for some time! Technology has built itself around it! Choose what works for you, I see no advantage of a new ball coming out that would make it a huge advantage! Sure equipment is important, but new technology is just a game of semantics! IMHA
Its all about selling balls! I look at the charts of balls made in the last 5 years, and guess what??? They all pretty much do the same thing, just depends on which ball you are looking at! I see no advantage at this point in time of a new ball being used before it is approved! Its all about sells!!! Nothing wrong with that!! Its what makes the world go round!!

In conclusion, YES golf balls have come a long way since the early models, but have they really gotten better in the last 5 years, maybe even 10??? I don’t think so, maybe bowling balls fall into that same slot! So, Who Cares,,,, let the pro’s use the balls,,, its not like there is really a huge new technology that has come along that I know of,,,, but ,,, then what the heck do I know!! I am a newbe!!

billf
07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Mike, if ball technology hasn't gotten any better in the last 5 years as you say, then why has bowlingball.com had to increase their perfect scale during that time? It's because the balls can handle the oil better reacting like their ancestors did on dry lanes. So if I paid my entry fee for the Regional last year it's totally fair and ok with most here that not only do I have to compete with TOURING pros but they also get to use equipment that's not even available to me?!?! We are not talking about events that get televised seeing as how the rule states that the balls have to be available to any bowler on the truck for regular PBA tour stops/tournaments. The people that disagree with me, I'm sure they wouldn't if it was THEM that spent the money to bowl a regional just to see a touring pro come in with a ball he has been practicing with for a month or more designed for that pattern and you were stuck using a used Virtual Gravity.

*only used myself as an example. I've yet to bowl a Regional.

MICHAEL
07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Bill, how much oil does a ball have to be able to handle to make it a better entry into the pocket? What I am saying is that I believe, after looking at all the charts, on where to stand, and what angle a ball will go into a pocket, ((what more could a bowling ball do, that they can’t do now?))
The technology for handling the lanes now has reached a point that I feel improvement would in reality be insignificant! The Science of cover stock, vs oil patters has reached a stalemate, no where else to REALLY GO! IMHO.
I think the EDGE will ALWAYS BE, KNOWLEDGE,,,, knowing the game inside and out, knowing WHAT ball to use under the circumstances, (because I truly believe that we have the technology and know how to make a ball do just about anything you can imagine now).
Then the MOST IMPORTANT part comes into play. THE INDIVIDUAL!! Some have that spirit, and gift to win! It’s a combination of many things, covered in part above! It’s what makes a Pete Weber, Norm Duke, ect!!
In conclusion, do you think that bowling balls have a LOOOOOG way to go in regards to better handling the oil?? If so what are they lacking at the present time that couldn’t be resolved with Knowledge of the game!
1. How to deliver the ball on various oil patterns
2. Which ball to use, knowing your abilities
3. How to drill your balls to cover the various patterns you bowl
4. Consistent delivery in regards to speed, motion, ect…
This is but a few of the things I think gives the edge,,,, No magic ball that will go down the lanes and correct itself. Balls almost do too much now, like when you go wide, and the ball picks up the dry and shoots back into the pocket! What more can a ball be designed to do? Really???
In regards to pro’s getting the (new) balls and is that fair,, I think the EDGE they get on opponents is at best, psychological! But then what do I know, bill,,,, ( but I do read a lot lol)!

TheSheibs
07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
What they should do is allow the pros to use a ball only if it is going to be released or become available in shops within two weeks of the event. That way the consumer can see the new balls being used by a pro and if they like it the pro shops could tell them when to expect it to arrive and even pre-order the ball. This way the companies can get some pre-sales done and the consumer will get their ball the day it becomes available in shops across the country.

striker12
07-23-2012, 08:31 AM
i would have to disagree and agree with it disagreeing from it being takingnout of the PBA but say if they doo it at nationals then i can agree to that cause not all nationals go on tv only some that i have been able to find on tv but in turnnys like for your home town league then you should not beable to use it cause other people would want that ball cause it could be say perfect for a sertin lane contion...(ie: the shark pattern) and lots of people are playibg streght up on this pattern but the person with the new ball is playing left pushing it out too where everyone else is going streght up that means hes got the hole inner part of the loane to himself all beacause he got this new ball that other people wish they had.

soo for that part for the pba i disagree and for the rule in other turnnys i would agree because not every one is sponcered and lots of people want to be but its majorly hard to get a sponcer cause it takes year of practice.

MICHAEL
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Your right on Striker12!! I agree with 100 percent!!

billf
07-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Your right on Striker12!! I agree with 100 percent!!

Mike, the ice is freezing your brain. I said the same thing. It only small tournaments the rule applies to, NOT PBA televised events. Yet you agree with Striker and debate with me?!?!?!

MICHAEL
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Mike, the ice is freezing your brain. I said the same thing. It only small tournaments the rule applies to, NOT PBA televised events. Yet you agree with Striker and debate with me?!?!?!

To be genuine, real, totally sincere, and truthful, I am not sure what I agreed too? I could see striker12 put a lot of reflection, and cerebration into his ideas, concepts and deliberations! What ever evaluations, and appraisals assessments he came up with ,,,, is fine with me! I must have been wrong in my original inferenceses, in regards to the subject matter! I do agree with Striker12, but not you Bill! Does that purport with both of you? If not then join the club…

billf
07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I see, it's just a case of the spelling challenged sticking up for each other. I'm cool with that.

billf
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Now back to the rule. Mike, how would you feel if team evil called in a favor and had a real PBA pro come sub and they used a ball not available to anybody else there? It takes a stacked deck and tilts it even further. If their physical and mental game is better than mine, so be it. But let it come to that and not the fact that they have access to equipment the rest of us don't. Sponsored star versus sponsored star on TV, no problem because it's available to ALL of them early.

striker12
07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
well bill you got a good idea there dose not matter between the sponsors cause they do all get the ball like before anyone even gets told about the ball witch they could use them to say make videos too show how good it works but my main thing is after they do the video's then the sponsors should get the ball back untill the baall is fully out.

that would be alot easyer soo then no one is useing a ball thats not out yet witch other people cant use.

MICHAEL
07-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Now back to the rule. Mike, how would you feel if team evil called in a favor and had a real PBA pro come sub and they used a ball not available to anybody else there? It takes a stacked deck and tilts it even further. If their physical and mental game is better than mine, so be it. But let it come to that and not the fact that they have access to equipment the rest of us don't. Sponsored star versus sponsored star on TV, no problem because it's available to ALL of them early.

Bill,,, bill,,,, what am I going to do with you!! If team evil called a favor and called a PBA PRO to come in and bowl in our 14 week $1000.00 two person league, I would simple break his frigen fingers, and go directly to Jail!!

That PBA pro could probably use a coconut and beat the average bowler! I truly believe that balls, have reached a point where Science and engineering have it figured out! I look at all the angles on the charts that show what all the balls will do, and I say to myself, (((( Its all covered??))) I would not like the fact that a PBA bowler, took the place of the otherwise person that would have been there!
Bring in Top Gun type bowler’s when your on a league, is unethical, IMHA!! I don’t like it, and think its criminal!! When I look at all the ball’s, and brands that are out there, and how they work on what types of oil patterns,,,,, come on……. There are much more important things that come to play in bowling!
1. The bowler himself! Some have the gift,,, some will never have it to a PBA level… (GIFT)
2. Knowing what ball of the many that you have to choose from, works with your style of bowling and having it drilled correctly for YOUR STYLE OF bowling, (not what you think your style is, but in reality, YOUR TRUE STYLE,,, !!
3. Knowledge,,,, knowing the many facets of the sport
4. Always pick a ball that smells good! (unless it’s a DVD 8
I really thing that there is really,,,, no where else to go with the nanno, micro, ect ect..! Again look at a chart of what all the Storm balls will do, regardless of your style of bowling? How much more can be accomplished with ball surface.
I don’t see a new ball doing anymore for a Good Bowler that has what I mentioned above, that a ball that’s out there now can do.
Its marketing,,,, Virtual Gravity, Nanno! What????? What in the he$$ has virtual gravity nanno got to do with a bowling ball??
We have a guy in town first name Pat!,,, he has bowled 37 300 games…. And one I witnessed Last week.
He is 58 years old. I ask him how it did,,,, and he said he was up all night drinking and playing poker,,, in fact he said he was up till 4 am!! If a man 58 can do that, so many times,,,, I must conclude the equipment works just fine where we are now…
In conclusion, its not the magic new ball, its knowledge, and skill!!

JaMau24
07-26-2012, 02:23 AM
I really thing that there is really,,,, no where else to go with the nanno, micro, ect ect..! Again look at a chart of what all the Storm balls will do, regardless of your style of bowling? How much more can be accomplished with ball surface.
I don’t see a new ball doing anymore for a Good Bowler that has what I mentioned above, that a ball that’s out there now can do.
Its marketing,,,, Virtual Gravity, Nanno! What????? What in the he$$ has virtual gravity nanno got to do with a bowling ball??
We have a guy in town first name Pat!,,, he has bowled 37 300 games…. And one I witnessed Last week.
He is 58 years old. I ask him how it did,,,, and he said he was up all night drinking and playing poker,,, in fact he said he was up till 4 am!! If a man 58 can do that, so many times,,,, I must conclude the equipment works just fine where we are now…
In conclusion, its not the magic new ball, its knowledge, and skill!!

I somewhat agree and disagree with you Mike. A good bowler will be able to make any of the newer balls work (balls that are around 10 years old), but that being said, I'd bet they do, in fact, do BETTER with the newer balls. No way do I agree that balls are done evolving and improving. I'd guess that 20 years ago, there was a guy, like you, saying that balls are done evolving and they can get no better. Virtual Gravity Nano is just a name. Nothing more, nothing less. So again, I agree that a lot of what makes a ball work good is the bowler throwing it, but that being said, it's incorrect to say that the ball doesn't factor into it, and incorrect to say balls can't improve anymore. (In my opinion.)

Hampe
07-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Yea, but are the balls advantageous because of the new technology in them, or simply just because they are new? I would bet that a 5 year old pro performance ball that had never been used, can outhook/outperform a new ball like the Nano with a bunch of games on it. It's not like the balls that are coming out now completely blow the balls from last year out of the water. I don't think there is that big of a difference.

Of course I'm not saying that the balls don't get better at all, it's obvious that they do. It's just not that huge of a difference on a year to year basis.

JaMau24
07-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Yea, but are the balls advantageous because of the new technology in them, or simply just because they are new? I would bet that a 5 year old pro performance ball that had never been used, can outhook/outperform a new ball like the Nano with a bunch of games on it. It's not like the balls that are coming out now completely blow the balls from last year out of the water. I don't think there is that big of a difference.

Of course I'm not saying that the balls don't get better at all, it's obvious that they do. It's just not that huge of a difference on a year to year basis.

I'm not saying you are going to see a big jump from year to year, I'm saying the balls from 10 years ago aren't nearly as good as the balls coming out now... and also saying that it is likely that in 10 years, the balls coming out then, will be better than the balls now.

I'd agree with you that a 5 year old ball that is brand new will out hook a new ball with a bunch of games on it... Not sure what exactly that proves. I'm sure a brand new never been used Nano would probably out hook whatever 5 year old never been used ball.

Hampe
07-26-2012, 06:02 AM
I'd agree with you that a 5 year old ball that is brand new will out hook a new ball with a bunch of games on it... Not sure what exactly that proves.The point is simply that a ball being brand new will have more of an effect on performance than it's release date.

I'm sure a brand new never been used Nano would probably out hook whatever 5 year old never been used ball.So am I, but I doubt that a brand new Nano could noticably outpreform a brand new original VG. In 5 years you will notice a difference between balls.....in 1 year you probably won't (unless there is some kind of huge breakthrough). That's the whole point.....I don't think the Pros would have a huge advantage with new releases over regional players that are using balls from last year.

billf
07-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes most of it is knowledge and skill, I agree. I also agree that most PBA pros could beat most league bowlers using a nerf golf ball. 99.9% of my opponents will always have an edge in experience over me being that I started so late in life. If my mental and physical game and knowledge is at least on par with that pro, why should he be given any kind of advantage with equipment? Let's be brutally honest about this. Most of the pros that do this are not the Norm Duke's, Rash's, etc. It's usually a bowler close to losing their exempt status. This is their attempt at making a living bowling. They will do whatever they can to keep making a living, that's human nature. Now, when Rhino Page and Jack Jurek won their respective regionals this past season, they had the latest and greatest of unreleased Storm equipment and the best coaches with them. I like both of the guys mentioned. Real sportmanship, integrity and have every reason to walk around with their heads held high. Definitely two men I would like to meet. However, as good as they are, why give them ANY advantage of the rest of the field?
Mike, you keep going back to the human part of bowling. At that level, how much of a difference is there in that aspect?

J Anderson
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think that there is any way of knowing if bowling balls have reached the limit of what they can do. History of full of innovators who, after creating something revolutionary, sat back and said 'who could want anything better than this?' Someone else would promptly come along, make an improvement and leave the original innovator in the dust. Look at Henry Ford. The Model T was revolutionary, transforming the automobile from an expensive toy, to a common, useful means of transportation. The only changes that Ford allowed were those necessary to maintain his price advantage. By the 1920s that was no longer enough, and Ford slipped to the #2 position is sales.

MICHAEL
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I somewhat agree and disagree with you Mike. A good bowler will be able to make any of the newer balls work (balls that are around 10 years old), but that being said, I'd bet they do, in fact, do BETTER with the newer balls. No way do I agree that balls are done evolving and improving. I'd guess that 20 years ago, there was a guy, like you, saying that balls are done evolving and they can get no better. Virtual Gravity Nano is just a name. Nothing more, nothing less. So again, I agree that a lot of what makes a ball work good is the bowler throwing it, but that being said, it's incorrect to say that the ball doesn't factor into it, and incorrect to say balls can't improve anymore. (In my opinion.)

Dude,,, dude,,, I agree that 20 years ago,,, ( maybe,,) a guy or gal,Said that bowling balls have nowhere to go, and that they have reach a plateau! But that guy would have been Forest Gump!! Look at the golf ball, and even the baseball! They went through many changes but with the baseball they stopped to keep records fair, and not to have outfields over a mile deep! One of the reasons they don’t allow aluminum bats! You hit farther with one, and would not be fair to the old records, and I respect that!
Golf is much like bowling in that they keep coming up with new and improved balls, but are they really?
The bowling ball YOU chose is very important! ((But not as important as picking the right ball for YOU))!
AND,,,,, more importantly,,,, having it drilled by a person that KNOWS your style of bowling. Dude I have seen you bowl many times, (and might I say it’s an honor to do that), but let me make this clear! The day you bowled the 300 game, you were in the ZONE! You always have the talent to do it, and no MAGIC ball is going to come out in the future that is much different than what’s out there now!
Lets say they could make a ball that gives you a strike every time, with a self-adjusting gyro that has pocket finding technology, WOULD WE EVEN WANT IT? What we have now should be regulated by the PBA, (like the baseball), and only spins on what’s out there NOW should be allowed!
Maybe like the baseball, we have come a LONG ways from the balls of twenty years ago, but they have set a standard that is followed for good reasons! Bowling balls, and the SCIENCE behind them and the new more difficult oil patters, and machines that lay them down have JUMPED Quantum Leaps in regards to the balls, oil machines, and technology in general.
In conclusion: Yes 20 years ago someone (might) have said that where else can they go with this sport! The better question is, how far do you want to go, to take the skill out of the game! You can miss a shot on a house pattern now by 3321 boards, and balls can make it back to the pocket and strike! WAS THAT really a STRIKE! That being said, please tell me what you think a (NEW SECRET WEAPON of a ball COULD DO,,,,,,,, that’s balls are not doing today! Technology eventually reaches a point where no real improvement can be achieved, or should be achieved if you want to have a sport where some form of skill is needed. All a good, bowler needs is out there! HIT your MARK, Good ball delivery, knowledge and knowing HOW to adjust to oil conditions, and all of you will bow a great score!!
I firmly believe this to be true so help me god!!

The German Shepherd
07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
After reading Mike's post above, I remembered back to the late 70's when I threw a Columbia Yellow Dot. I loved that ball. Then came the Yellow Dot "Bleeder." When I decided to get one, my girlfriend (another avid bowler) got upset with me as she felt that I was getting a ball that wuld give me an unfair advantage. She actually felt I was kinda cheating! I bowled in a house that used nothing but (what we now call) the US Open pattern. Imagine what she would have thought about what we regularly bowl on these days with a THS!

Jay

JaMau24
07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
That's a good point, Mike. How much better of a ball do we need and still have fun bowling!? If they had a drastic improvement over the balls now, in 20 years, then no, I don't think bowling would be as fun. You make an excellent point.

The baseball is definitely done evolving, at least for our foreseeable future. They used to play with a lemon peel in the 1850's for goodness sakes!

hoppy1605
08-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I disagree with the rule, I'm entering my 3rd season of bowling (36years old, so a little bit of a later start), and after I wanted to start getting "better" and throw a hook, I began to watch the pros on TV. And three years ago, Storm was dominating, so I went out and bought what Norm Duke was using (Anarchy), and loved it. I now have several balls, and after watching the pro's, will check out the web-site and see when the new ones are coming out. It's almost like Christmas for adults, I love the anticipation on trying out a new ball! Also, this year was pre-recorded for most of the events, so they all used the same gear, which was kind of boring!

billf
08-05-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure why reading comprehension seems to be such an issue with this topic but THE RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO TELEVISED PBA EVENTS!! It's only regionals and smaller events that are not even televised so nobody would see what the pros are using anyway.

dawn022773
08-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi all, from Ohio. This is actually my first post in your forums. I think that is an awful rule, I can't believe that the PBA would do that, because I'm sure they make money out of the sponsors and promotions of those products, not to mention, the companies manufacturing the products could be ahead of the game by the advertisement of the products by the Bowlers that utilize them.