PDA

View Full Version : Getting my ball to hook!

NWASSUP1
07-20-2012, 12:20 AM
I have an Ebonite Cyclone ( Black/Silver/Gold ) and I'm trying to stick to throw it right to left , which mostly everyone throws it . My problem is that it will not hook . I can throw a back-up ball and it moves great or hooks if I throw it right . It's a finger-tip grip . My current average is 152 and it was about 165 . Some people in my league say to me stick with what works . One of my fellow bowlers was trying to get me away from throwing back-up ball , says get better pin action throwing it right to left . Get lots of splits sometimes when I throw back-up ball and he said that's why . I'm currently in a very bad slump .
Norm

The German Shepherd
07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
The first thing I would want to do is get a look at how you have the ball drilled. The Cyclone is a Reactive Resin ball and it will have a colored dot located somewhere around you finger holes. This dot is called the "pin." Where is this pin located on your ball?

Jay

J Anderson
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
First of all, when you make a change in technique, your average will go down until the the new way becomes automatic.
I will not attempt to explain how to throw a hook. The following should be a link to a Ron Clifton article on how to throw a basic hook.
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip35.htm
There are a number of other sites on the internet that might help you.
Could the bowler telling you to not throw a back-up ball work with you to teach you how to throw a hook? He is right in the fact that get the optimal entry angle into the pocket you need to have at least a little hook.

austin
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Personally I believe using a back up shot isn't a major issue. After all when you bowl backup, you are basically turning yourself into a lefty. More importantly is hitting the 1-2 pocket consistently. I have seen some very succesful backup bowlers here down under. I believe its more important to be consistant in what you do rather than which side of the head pin aiming for.

NWASSUP1
07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
My PIN is just above the second finger hole slightly to the right ( little past center of hole ) . I asked the pro-shop guy if it will hook if I throw it right to left and he said yes . Norm

The German Shepherd
07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
My PIN is just above the second finger hole slightly to the right ( little past center of hole ) . I asked the pro-shop guy if it will hook if I throw it right to left and he said yes . Norm

That means that your ball's natural reaction will be to hook right to left and do so in a delayed manner. The Cyclone is not a highly aggressive ball so I should not hook much on an oily condition. You'd have to turn the ball pretty well and have a fairly dry lane in order to see that ball hook a great deal...

Jay

NWASSUP1
07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you!