PDA

View Full Version : Need a Heavy Oil/Highly Aggressive ball

The German Shepherd
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I need to know - when the oil is heavy and fairly long (my league tapers the oil down to 45 feet), I would assume you want a ball that is aggressive AND that reacts quickly to friction. When you are faced with heavy (and long) oil, what ball do you reach for??? I am considering a ball purchase and need to know what works best for the folks here...

Jay

billf
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
I reach first for my Hell Raiser Revenge pin down. Based off how that ball reacts determines if I stick with it, go to the pin up or grab my Nexxus.

bowl1820
07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
A ball with a aggressive coverstock, Pin down, a X-hole and some surface texture (Dull).

Also play a little closer to the head pin.

The German Shepherd
07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Also play a little closer to the head pin.

As in, play a tighter line? I already have a Vivid drill with a x-hole and the cover is dull. Because of the amount of top-weight this ball has, the pin was not able to be drilled "down" but had to be drilled so that my ring finger hole covers it. I also have a Nexxus drilled similarly...

My goal in asking this question was to find out what brand ball folks here uses in heavy+long oil. What do you use, bowl1820?

Jay

billf
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Jay, where is the x-hole compared to your thumb hole?
On longer, heavy oil patterns I usually play 25 to 15. That seems to work pretty well for me.

The German Shepherd
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Jay, where is the x-hole compared to your thumb hole?
On longer, heavy oil patterns I usually play 25 to 15. That seems to work pretty well for me.

My X is located about 3 1/2 inches right of my thumb and 3/4 inch up.

Jay

billf
07-20-2012, 11:43 PM
That's roughly the P3 location which is good for increasing the ball dynamics.

bowl1820
07-21-2012, 08:59 AM
As in, play a tighter line? .
Yes don't swing the ball as wide, with a longer pattern the line is usually one that is closer to the pocket or more towards the inside portion of the lane.
Using the Exit point formula, a 45' pattern places the exit point at about 14. And depending on your style the breakpoint would be just a little farther right after that.

My goal in asking this question was to find out what brand ball folks here uses in heavy+long oil. What do you use, bowl1820?
Jay

I carry 4 ball's A nomad solid, The Dagger, A old Pyro and a WD. (I also have a Urethane when needed). If I know ahead of time there will be "oil", I just increase surface texture on the Nomad, move right and reduce the number of boards crossed.

kev3inp
07-22-2012, 09:17 AM
The Nexxus f(P+R) I won is a heavy oil monster.

Tampabaybob
07-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I need to know - when the oil is heavy and fairly long (my league tapers the oil down to 45 feet), I would assume you want a ball that is aggressive AND that reacts quickly to friction. When you are faced with heavy (and long) oil, what ball do you reach for??? I am considering a ball purchase and need to know what works best for the folks here...

Jay

Jay,

Looks like you've already got some good stuff. I use Bowlingball.com specifically because they use a "perfect scale" to rate the aggressiveness of balls. They also have very good prices, free shipping, and delivery is very fast. One of the newer Morich balls seems to also be very aggressive and made for long oil. take a look at their web site also....http://www.morichbowling.com/Index.aspx (by the way the balls are made by Brunswick ) If you like the Nexxus ball there's a new one coming out 8/8/12 that I'm hoping to add to my bag. Also like the look the newer Roto-grip ball has - you might want to look at that, too. Good luck you have your work cut out for you.

Bob

The German Shepherd
07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Right now I am torn between the Defiant (original model) and the HRR....choices, choices, choices...

Jay

striker12
07-24-2012, 05:53 PM
i would manily grab anyball of mine that is pin down and dull but i only have 2 balls that are not dull and thats my 2 balls for when the oil is close too dry i do have 1 pin up dull ball my 900 global the nuts and it catchs alot.

but i would still prefer to use my HHR pin down once i get it all fixed not sure of the problem might need to get the grit taking down on it abit i think too put some teeth on it

billf
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Right now I am torn between the Defiant (original model) and the HRR....choices, choices, choices...

Jay

I've thrown both, drilled the same and the HRR is more aggressive. Whether you want or need that much aggression is a question only you can answer.

striker12
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
jay go with the defiant it is alittle weaker then the HHR but it is still agressive and strong but thing you cna do with it and not soo much with the HHR is throw it on medium oiled lanes the HHR will take off way too soon and the defiant will at least get down the lane before it goses anywhere.

with difiant on medium oil: minor adjustments

with HHR on medium oil: alot of moving around

The German Shepherd
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I've thrown both, drilled the same and the HRR is more aggressive. Whether you want or need that much aggression is a question only you can answer.

I am just worried that the HRR may be TOO much ball for me. Still, I have not made a carved in stone decision yet...

Jay

billf
07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
To put this as delicately as I can I will say, when I'm playing a stroker style on a sport shot I stand 5 boards left with the HRR compared to the Nexxus. Same oil, same lane, same style. When I'm cranking it the HRR is about 8 boards left of the Nexxus. I absolutely love both balls and in no way intend my comments to be deemed at claiming anything against either ball.

The German Shepherd
07-25-2012, 05:22 PM
To put this as delicately as I can I will say, when I'm playing a stroker style on a sport shot I stand 5 boards left with the HRR compared to the Nexxus. Same oil, same lane, same style. When I'm cranking it the HRR is about 8 boards left of the Nexxus. I absolutely love both balls and in no way intend my comments to be deemed at claiming anything against either ball.

8 boards??? Great googly moogly. And the Nexxus is a BIG ball....wow.

Jay