PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I bowl for score

backahead
07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I was psyched to get my first 200 game the other day, and I hoped for another one soon after. I thought it would be easy enough but I don't get paid to think. It hasn't happened. I'm focusing on 30 different things within 4 steps.

I'm doing pretty good with my mechanics and I feel like tonight I deserve to just let it fly. No thinking. I'm posting this to convince myself.

MICHAEL
07-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow you have convinced Iceman!!! Make it so!!! lol Good luck, its sure to happen!!

billf
07-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Thinking is for practice. Think all you want UNTIL you get on that approach. Then trust yourself, mind and body, to execute. One breath in through the nose, out the mouth then go. Some people even sing a song in their head to help clear it of anything bowling related. That's one reason the pre-shot routine should even be followed when practicing, it helps calm the mind.

ursus
07-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Run over what you need to in your mind as you are waiting for your turn. When its your turn just repeat your routine and concentrate on your mark without trying to think about every step. It will become more and more natural to you and the muscle memory wil begin to take over.

backahead
07-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Wow you have convinced Iceman!!! Make it so!!! lol Good luck, its sure to happen!!

I'm sad to report that my high game was 187 last night. Tonight is sure to be better! :)

backahead
07-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Thinking is for practice. Think all you want UNTIL you get on that approach. Then trust yourself, mind and body, to execute. One breath in through the nose, out the mouth then go. Some people even sing a song in their head to help clear it of anything bowling related. That's one reason the pre-shot routine should even be followed when practicing, it helps calm the mind.

I bowled a 171 out of the gate, which is way above my regular first game. Felt great, effortless 16mph with a sick hook. Then my bowling partner showed up and wouldn't shut up! lol. He's great but he talks non-stop. Wouldn't be a bowler without him so I guess we take the good with the bad.

I have instituted your recommendation to wipe my ball before every throw, and someone else's to move my thumb in and out a couple times for a good fit. The past issue with my elbow has turned into a nice routine as well. I keep my head down, fiddle with my thumb entry and lock my elbow. Then twist the ball into position while I look at the target, take a deep breath, one knee bounce and begin the approach. A song might be good, I can try that tonight.

Edit: perfect song I think, "I don't care anymore." Phil Collins

backahead
07-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Run over what you need to in your mind as you are waiting for your turn. When its your turn just repeat your routine and concentrate on your mark without trying to think about every step. It will become more and more natural to you and the muscle memory wil begin to take over.

Thanks bud, it is becoming more natural. I have a long, long way to go but I can feel it taking shape.

The German Shepherd
07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
You'll get there. Just let it happen and don't ever-think...

Jay

backahead
07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
You'll get there. Just let it happen and don't ever-think...

Jay

Thanks Jay. I couldn't wait for tonight so I went this afternoon, left work early to do it :) Threw a couple 160's before this little gem on my 3rd game...

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/backahead/2012-07-21_15-29-32_809.jpg

Woo hoo! Feeling great boys, lots of thanks to this site. It's gonna take every ounce of restraint to not bowl again later tonight.

The German Shepherd
07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks Jay. I couldn't wait for tonight so I went this afternoon, left work early to do it :) Threw a couple 160's before this little gem on my 3rd game...

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/backahead/2012-07-21_15-29-32_809.jpg

Woo hoo! Feeling great boys, lots of thanks to this site. It's gonna take every ounce of restraint to not bowl again later tonight.

Outstanding! Now you'll see them coming more and more often!

Jay

Keithalw
07-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Nice score

backahead
07-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Nice score

Thanks Keith! Got a new high last night (210) but I don't feel nearly as good since I'm only getting one good game out of 30.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/backahead/2012-07-26_21-41-59_228.jpg

On a side note, yesterday morning my car was acting up so I limped it down to the mechanic, less than a mile from my house. As I'm walking back, the skies opened up and it poured rain. Last night I jump into my van to go bowling and the skies opened up again. A branch came down and smashed my windshield while I was at a stop light. D'oh! Guess I just had that day a comin'.

Keithalw
07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
That totally sucks about the car and van... I have had days like that and they suck.... 210 is a good game its just going to take practice practice practice. Sometimes I am shooting good for a few weeks then its like I have never touched a ball hardly... but I just practice and try to be consistent and hit my mark.