PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Peri
07-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone!

I am very excited to find this site and have been eagerly reading through all of the different forums. I don’t see many women posting but that is ok – I still like the site ;). I am pretty new to bowling but am as hooked on it as one can get! I started going to the bowling alley in January with my husband and son when they were practicing for their league night.

My husband bought me a Pyramid Path 8lb ball and soon I was getting better (my first game I bowled a whopping 39). My son decided that the 8lb ball was now to light and he got me a 10lb Slingshot for Mother’s Day. He then decided that I needed a 12lb ball and got me a used Brunswick Galaxy 300 - a good $20 spent.

I have been doing pretty good with this ball and joined a “No Tap” league with my husband and son. I am so happy. Last night I bowled a 225 (this is No Tap) and the guy at the desk announced that not only did I have high game with a 225 but that I beat my husband and hot shot son!

Since this is a really rare occurrence I was pretty happy. Now they want me to join them in the regular winter league. I am still not sure that I am good enough for a regular league but everyone who bowls league is really nice and they keep encouraging me to join.

I am thinking of replacing the good old Galaxy with a new ball. At the moment I am kind of more into color and love hot pink (the Pyramid and Slingshot have great hot pink colors) – everyone laughs at that including myself. However, as I am becoming more knowledgeable color is not so important. Right now I have a short list of 14 different balls that I like. I will be getting a new one come September so I spend a lot of time online reading about them and watching videos. I will post in the appropriate forum for advice when I am closer to purchase. The pro at the bowling alley is really a nice guy and says that I bowl so slow that most balls will react pretty much the same for me.

Anyway I am glad to find this site and am really enjoying reading all the different posts!

The German Shepherd
07-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the Boards!

Jay

backahead
07-21-2012, 11:53 PM
@Peri: I'm new to the sport as well. Lot's of great info and caring people here. Good luck. Yes, you must join the league!

kev3inp
07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Have you seen the pink one from Lane #1? My wife has the black and silver slingshot and I've got the red and silver one. They're great dry lane balls.

billf
07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Peri, welcome. We need more female bowlers on here and on the lanes. Join the league. Most leagues include a handicap score to try and even everyone out so you can learn, have a blast and not have to worry that you're hurting the team at all.
Congratulations on the 225! Even in a no tap league that's better than a lot of people can score.

ursus
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Welcome Peri!! I like your enthusiasm. As Bill said, they put a handicap on most of the leagues to help even things out. It sounds like some really encouraging people around so it should be a good experience.

RoccoRock
07-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Join the league, you will have a blast. My wife has done a few leagues with me the last few years and she averages around 95, and she has fun.

striker12
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
welcome and join the league you will have a great time and gratz on the 225 game you have beat my highest all year witch was a 224

Florida Bowler
07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Welcome! I will add my vote to join the league. They are a lot of fun and most bowlers are very supportive of new bowlers.