PDA

View Full Version : League scoring system

shark
07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Why is league scoring scored the way it is (1 team against another)? Why is it not your team bowling against all the teams for that night?

Reason I'm asking: one of the leagues this year has 18 teams but only bowling for 15 wks (2 of which are position rounds)

Your team standing could be skewed (luck of the draw on which teams you bowl) and also if the team you are bowling just has a great night and bowls way over their average (luck again or the other team has sandbagged leading up to this game).

Would the playing field be more evened out if:

You bowl against each team's scores each night. Points are awarded based upon where you finsihed compared to all the other teams for that night.
example....
15 teams
15 points to overall highest score (including handicap), 14 points to the next highest and so on till the lowest score has 1 point.....or you could start at 14 points for highest and go to 0 for last place
AND IF YOU LIKE
give points the same way for each game bowled

Am I crazy to think this?

billf
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Wow, I actually like how that sounds. It would take a season with some ups and downs and level them off.

I hate when there are odd numbers of teams of X amount of time so all the team that bowls the blind has to do is basically show up to win points then another team gets added during the season so the next team have to actually bowl a real team.

DanielMareina
07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I actually really like this idea too. If you have 18 teams bowl, and highest handicap score gets 18 points, 2nd 17, and so on, highest point total at the end of the league wins. I think that could work. You get luck of the draw for lane pairing and teams on your pair. Excellent thought Shark!

J Anderson
07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Why is league scoring scored the way it is (1 team against another)? Why is it not your team bowling against all the teams for that night?

Reason I'm asking: one of the leagues this year has 18 teams but only bowling for 15 wks (2 of which are position rounds)

Your team standing could be skewed (luck of the draw on which teams you bowl) and also if the team you are bowling just has a great night and bowls way over their average (luck again or the other team has sandbagged leading up to this game).

Would the playing field be more evened out if:

You bowl against each team's scores each night. Points are awarded based upon where you finsihed compared to all the other teams for that night.
example....
15 teams
15 points to overall highest score (including handicap), 14 points to the next highest and so on till the lowest score has 1 point.....or you could start at 14 points for highest and go to 0 for last place
AND IF YOU LIKE
give points the same way for each game bowled

Am I crazy to think this?

This is the system that the local sport league used last season. This is a singles, scratch league with only 16 to 20 bowlers during the fall through spring season. I think that, while I didn't really like it, it was well received. For the coming season they are adding some sort of brackets for those of us who missed bowling head to head.
The format that I liked best was when the four bowlers on each pair were bowling against each other. High game would get 6 points, second: 4 pts, third: 2 pts, and fourth: 0. When it was all head to head or one on one, it seemed like every time I had a good game, I would be matched with someone making it look like he or she was bowling on real easy house shot. I would lose by twenty or thirty pins with a score that would have beaten either of the others on that pair by a similar amount.

I think that most of us need direct competition. We focus a little better when someone on the other team gets a few strikes. There is also a question of fairness. Head to head you're bowling on the same pair. The conditions are exactly the same for both teams. With the all against one system if one pair was playing really tight those two teams would be at a disadvantage. Likewise if another pair, for whatever reason, had an easier scoring condition, those two teams would have a big advantage. In the sport league this isn't a factor since we move after every game

bowl1820
07-24-2012, 03:49 PM

What your talking about is a variation of the the standard Team versus Team format, it's called "Team versus Field", this one rarely seen.
In this your team plays all the teams in the league at one time. Here you receive points (usually 1) for each team you beat in the league.

Example: If your league has 12 teams, the maximum amount of points per game you could win is 11.

The only problem I could for see, is the possibility (at least theoretically) of a couple of teams running away with the points early on. Building a lead that would be difficult to beat.

There's a whole thread about scoring systems here:
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/9188-Point-Systems-in-Bowling?highlight=point+systems

TheSheibs
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure i like this idea. Then again, i'm in a league with 10 teams and it is 15 weeks long. Every team gets to bowl all the other teams. With yours only being 15 weeks with 18 teams, there would be 1 or 2 teams that you never face. Back to how my current league does it...You bowl 13 weeks just like normal, 4 possible wins to be added to your total wins and with handicap added to scores. In the 14th week (position week) the 1st place team bowls 2nd place, 3rd and 4th bowl each other, etc....Then the last week is for fun and prizes are given out that night. I think a league should be required to last a minimum number of weeks that there are teams. 18 teams= at least 18 weeks. Just my 2 cents.

Hampe
07-25-2012, 05:10 AM
18 teams= at least 18 weeks. Just my 2 cents.Well...it would actually have to be 17 weeks, but I agree with you. Whoever is organizing the league should either set the number of games after all teams have applied, or allow a set number of teams so everybody plays each other an even amount of times. Anything else is just not fair.

Even though my team got screwed over this year by teams playing over their head against us and bad against another team, I still like the direct team vs team format instead of team vs. field. I love the adrenaline rush when a game comes down to me vs. the other team's anchor. It's probably my favorite part of bowling.