PDA

View Full Version : I'm the only one hooking the Ball in this league: What to do?

atty_hen05
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi there,

Our company bowling just started yesterday and I observed that since I'm the only one using a reactive ball and everyone is using the house balls, I am at a disadvantage. I cant find the right adjustment in every frame I play every frame (Luckily I bowled a 164). May average is 180. The adjustments I made were so quick and so drastic that I am surprised that I need to adjust again after two (2) frames.

Is this because everyone else is shooting straight breaking the oil pattern unevenly on the lanes? I dont really know actually. But one thing is clear, I need to adjust my stand every after 2 to 3 frames and I only get less than my average. Anybody has the same experience? maybe you can help.

sinteddy
07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
No, i don't believe that it is the straight shooting that disrupt your path. A straight ball to the pocket will have a completely different path than a hook ball. Therefore, It shouldn't affect your Breakpoint at all.

Do you know if they recondition the lane prior to your league? If not, you might be bowling on a burned up shot from previous night. That might explain your situation.

Furthermore, a House Ball should remove well less oil than a reactive resin ball.

Good Luck

The German Shepherd
07-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

Our company bowling just started yesterday and I observed that since I'm the only one using a reactive ball and everyone is using the house balls, I am at a disadvantage. I cant find the right adjustment in every frame I play every frame (Luckily I bowled a 164). May average is 180. The adjustments I made were so quick and so drastic that I am surprised that I need to adjust again after two (2) frames.

Is this because everyone else is shooting straight breaking the oil pattern unevenly on the lanes? I dont really know actually. But one thing is clear, I need to adjust my stand every after 2 to 3 frames and I only get less than my average. Anybody has the same experience? maybe you can help.

The balls used by most bowling houses are polyester and these do not absorb the oil like a reactive ball will, HOWEVER they do push the oil DOWN the lane and also OUT toward the gutters. After a few games, these balls create a sort of "reverse block" where the middle of the lanes will hook and the outside boards will not - creating a serious "out of bounds" area from approx. 7 board and further out. This can be absolutely maddening...

Jay

atty_hen05
07-26-2012, 10:55 PM
@German Shepherd

Maddening it is!! how do you get a good score in these situations?

@Sinteddy

I think that they are not reconditioning it considering that every time I play my benchmark ball (Roto Grip Cell Pearl) with an early hook, I stand at Board 25 (RH) at first frame of the first game then when I play my long skid ball (Storm Eraser Blaze) I start at Board 15. But like I said, after 2-3 frames I immediately adjust 3- 4 boards inside. Then at the 10th frame I am running out of boards so on the second game I end up moving forward for about 6 inches at Board 25.

bowl1820
07-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Quick and Drastic changes, adjusting every 2 or 3 frames. Just because everyone else is throwing house balls, it wouldn't mess up the lanes that fast and to a point that would require that much fishing for a line.

You should try sticking to one line longer. Making changes too quick is just as bad as making them too slowly.

You didn't really say just what your ball was doing or not doing either. That makes you want to make all these changes so much

atty_hen05
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Quick and Drastic changes, adjusting every 2 or 3 frames. Just because everyone else is throwing house balls, it wouldn't mess up the lanes that fast and to a point that would require that much fishing for a line.

You should try sticking to one line longer.

You didn't really say just what your ball was doing or not either.

Well my ball was pretty much doing its thing as it should be giving me atleast a 2 or 3 bagger but after 3 frames, it misses the head pin by 2 -3 boards.

bowl1820
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Well my ball was pretty much doing its thing as it should be giving me atleast a 2 or 3 bagger but after 3 frames, it misses the head pin by 2 -3 boards.

Okay you throw 2 or 3 strike's then you miss one, so that's your signal to make drastic changes?

As I said try sticking with the line a little longer, maybe make just a small move like a 2:1 move (thats move your feet 2 boards and your mark 1)

JaMau24
07-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Agree with bowl1820.. Stay where you are.. They shouldn't be altering the oil pattern that much. It's entirely possible you are missing your mark too. Make sure you watch your ball go over the same mark each time. That way, if you miss in, and you recognize that you missed inside, and it goes high, you know what the problem was.

I barely have to move during league even when there are several players going over my same line. I probably only move 3-5 boards from start to finish. Sure, some nights are more extreme.

Tampabaybob
07-27-2012, 11:43 PM
I think that they are not reconditioning it considering that every time I play my benchmark ball (Roto Grip Cell Pearl) with an early hook, I stand at Board 25 (RH) at first frame of the first game then when I play my long skid ball (Storm Eraser Blaze) I start at Board 15. But like I said, after 2-3 frames I immediately adjust 3- 4 boards inside. Then at the 10th frame I am running out of boards so on the second game I end up moving forward for about 6 inches at Board 25.

It seems you are playing pretty far inside, which is going to put yo in roughly the same area as the people throwing the house balls, so you end up being in all of the oil they're spreading around. Have you tried dropping on maybe 10 -12 and swinging the ball out to about 5 or 6 at a break point ? This should get you away from their area and give you your own area to work with. If your ball hooks up too early move your feet left and drop the ball on 14 to get a little more slide. You can also get your ball to slide a little further by moving your target further down the lane. Pick a spot about 3 - 4 feet beyond the arrows and shoot that. If the lanes are burned it may be a problem going outside but it's worth a try.

Bob

RoccoRock
07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I love when I am the only one hooking it either in my league or playing with friends. As long as I play the correct line, the oil stays pretty consistant. I usualy play a 3 game series without moving much at all, even when cranking the ball two handed. Now that my rev rate is way down, I can probably sit in the same spot all night most nights. Find the right line, and stay there.

atty_hen05
07-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will keep them in mind and hope to find my strike line the next game.