PDA

View Full Version : New to bowling and my progress so far

Fetus
07-27-2012, 05:36 PM
So a friend talked me into joining a bowling league in April and I've definitely made some progress. My big worry is that I'm doing things wrong that will eventually hurt further progress in my game or that there's simple things I can do now that can help me get to the next level.
Started throwing a straight ball like most people and it took a good month of working with my friend and another team mate to get a hook down. Then my consistency on hitting marks was terrible, so for a month after that I'd bowl at least one game a day(the league I'm on gives you 2 free practice games a day) not worrying about the pins and just working on hitting from this dot to that arrow and eventually down to individual boards. Since then I've just been working on things like controlling speed and rotation. I've gone from a 90 pin average with a straight ball to a 190 average with a hook. Officially I have 136 average, but I'm still fighting those first 2 months of terrible bowling. The low average and high handicap has played well into our rank on the league along with a few accusations of sandbagging.

Now for my worries. Once I find a line that takes me into the pocket I stick to it almost religiously. When I start leaving 7 and 10 pins I'm more likely to rotate my wrist and adjust my speed to get a better angle on the head pin instead of changing my marks. I've had mixed success with this, about 2/3 of the time it works, but that other third my game really falls apart and I just do my best to pick up spares and get on with it. I've thought a bit about this and I've just come to realize that I really don't know how to adjust my marks in this situation. Do I widen or tighten my line? Do I move my marks left to take advantage of the oil or right and try to get less? Or some combination of both?
I've also had a few comment on how I approach left side spares. I find I'm most consistent when I just start straight on the right side of the lane and just slow the ball way down. I get at least one comment a week about how "weird" it is. Is there really any problem with what I'm doing here?

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope to get to know people here and maybe even learn a bit from you guys.

bowl1820
07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Now for my worries. Once I find a line that takes me into the pocket I stick to it almost religiously. When I start leaving 7 and 10 pins I'm more likely to rotate my wrist and adjust my speed to get a better angle on the head pin instead of changing my marks. I've had mixed success with this, about 2/3 of the time it works, but that other third my game really falls apart and I just do my best to pick up spares and get on with it. I've thought a bit about this and I've just come to realize that I really don't know how to adjust my marks in this situation. Do I widen or tighten my line? Do I move my marks left to take advantage of the oil or right and try to get less? Or some combination of both?

In regards to the 7 or 10 leaves, the simplest correction to try first is to just backup about 6 inches. Don't change lines, rotate wrist or adjust speed. The ball is coming in a little behind the head pin, backing up a little can help correct this.

or if your leaving mostly 10 pins adjust by moving over one board to the right in the stance (right-handed bowler) without changing your target.

or if your leaving mostly 7 pins adjust by moving over one board to the Left in the stance (right-handed bowler) without changing your target.

I've also had a few comment on how I approach left side spares. I find I'm most consistent when I just start straight on the right side of the lane and just slow the ball way down. I get at least one comment a week about how "weird" it is. Is there really any problem with what I'm doing here?

If you mean you stand right, throw the ball straight down the lane, slow so the ball curves (hooks) over to the left. Allot of people do that. It's not wrong, though I believe lane conditions could play into that shot more. Where as a straighter cross alley shot (throwing right to left, could take the conditions out of it more).

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope to get to know people here and maybe even learn a bit from you guys.

Welcome to the boards!

billf
07-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the boards Fetus, you now have a bowling life.
Sounds like you are making great progress and taking things at a pace that is working for you. One suggestion I would make: when throwing for your target practice, use the second throw to work on your spares. The highest percentage spare shooters throw straight at most spares, especially single pin spares. Not a big deal on a house shot but comes in handy on sport patterns.