PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between the four nexus balls?

Ball99999
07-30-2012, 11:25 AM
By brunswick

Josch
07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
The main difference is the coverstock. They all have their own unique one. The Nexus f(P) and the Nexxxus f(P+S) are both polished pearl coverstock balls with the same arrowhead core. The Nexxxus f(P+S) is a little stronger than the Nexus f(P) but they are very similar balls. The Nexus f(P+F) and the Nexxus f(P+R) are both sanded solid coverstock balls with the same Rotor core and they are both stronger than the Nexxxus f(P+S). The Nexxus f(P+R) is a little stronger than the Nexus f(P+F). All of these balls are designed for heavier oil.

I personally hate the way that a lot of companies are naming so many balls the same thing. This is probably the worst and is extremely confusing. A lot of the companies do it it now though. There's the Hammer Vibe series, the Hammer Taboo series, the Ebonite Mission series, the DV8 Hell Raiser series, the Columbia300 Encounter series and plenty more. I understand when the name it by what it is like by adding solid or pearl after it like the Columbia300 Freeze Line of balls but when they name it by the color or what seems like randomly it just makes it confusing.

striker12
07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
josch you got it spot on but the main reason they do this kind of stuff with there balls by making it the same name they go with how much they sell if they sell out fast the first shipment then they are deffently going to make a nother ball with same name but alittle different

like take this the DV8 hell raiser (sold good) so they made a DV8 hell raiser revenge(sold just as good) now they got the DV8 hell raiser terror (made this one cause the other 2 sold well that they want to see if this one will also sell good and also its a pearl).

the encounters for the c300 not sure why they keep making more but my guess it could be someone is asking themto make more of them my best guesss at that part

Josch
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I just wish they would name it for what it is and not by color or in the Nexus's case, who knows what they're naming system is? I'm fine if they add the type of coverstock it is to the name since that way it's not confusing. How can anyone remember which Nexus ball is which. I had to refer back to bowlingball.com about 5 times per sentence to write that post. I like Track's naming system because they name all the balls exactly what they are. It's also not hard to name a ball something different than the original and make the name something unique. Take the Ebonite Cyclone. It was obviously the replacement for the Ebonite Tornado but they didn't use the same name as the first one.

bowl1820
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Nexus™ f(P) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P) PEARL COVERSTOCK
Nexus™ f(P+F) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+F) SOLID COVERSTOCK
Nexxus™ f(P+R) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+R) SOLID COVERSTOCK
Nexxxus™ƒ (P+S) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+S) PEARL COVERSTOCK

Addaptive ƒ coverstock
(P)rojection additive - gets the ball down the lane
(F)riction additive - varies the backend reaction
(R)ecovery additive - varies the backend reaction
(S)nap additive - varies the backend reaction

Josch
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Nexus™ f(P) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P) PEARL COVERSTOCK
Nexus™ f(P+F) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+F) SOLID COVERSTOCK
Nexxus™ f(P+R) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+R) SOLID COVERSTOCK
Nexxxus™ƒ (P+S) ADDAPTIVE ƒ(P+S) PEARL COVERSTOCK

Addaptive ƒ coverstock
(P)rojection additive - gets the ball down the lane
(F)riction additive - varies the backend reaction
(R)ecovery additive - varies the backend reaction
(S)nap additive - varies the backend reaction

That's a complex naming system. Where did you find this? Is there any reason for the extra x's? Is it just to distinguish what generation the ball is?

bowl1820
07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
That's a complex naming system. Where did you find this? Is there any reason for the extra x's? Is it just to distinguish what generation the ball is?

Just go to the Brunswick website and look up the balls.

Josch
07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Just go to the Brunswick website and look up the balls.

I went to bowlingball.com and it had the coverstocks but not the key for what each letter stands for.

americantrotter
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
It is a little silly. Just call it XXXXXXXX Pearl or XXXXXXXXX Hybrid or XXXXXXXXXX Solid.

It seems like a gimmick and makes me avoid brunswick for another reason then not 100% made in the USA.

Ball99999
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Do you all like pearl or solids better?

Josch
07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Pearls will go down the lane farther and then make a more angular move towards the pocket where solids have a smoother arc starting earlier on the lane and usually have more overall hook. Pick the motion that you want.

RoccoRock
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
This is one of the things that drew me to Track. The number system just makes it easier, especially someone just learning what equipment does. I do plan on trying other brands soon. I may keep a chart of some kind in my bag just to remind me what each ball does. Of course, once they're in the bag I had better know what they do beforehand. I think I will be staying away from 2 or 3 types of the same ball. If I get a Hell Raiser Revenge, I wont be running out the get a Hell Raiser Terror as well, unless DV8 is sending them to me free!

billf
08-02-2012, 11:05 PM
T I think I will be staying away from 2 or 3 types of the same ball. If I get a Hell Raiser Revenge, I wont be running out the get a Hell Raiser Terror as well, unless DV8 is sending them to me free!

Why? Just as Track's numbering system designates a different ball so doesn't another companies choice use a different name. The Hell Raiser series are asymmetrical core balls with each having a difference is heaviness of oil preference, length and angle to the pocket. This is accomplished with the difference in the cover stocks.
The Reckless series are symmetrical core balls which tend to have a smoother arc to the pocket.
The Misfit is the cheapest mid-performance ball on the market today. With it's 182.2 perfect scale rating and made for medium oil, this ball is a great value.

So I guess if you buy Track you won't get more than one "A" or one "T"?

RoccoRock
08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
It is easier with Track at first glance, but yes once you learn what any ball does then it doesn't matter how they name it. With Track, currently I do not have more than one of any series. By series, it's the first number, which is the pefrormance level. Pretty simple, you don't need to know much about bowling to learn that basic system. You brought up the two DV8 balls I hope to get soon, and I did the research and found out what each one is for. I've learned exactly what you posted, so it's not like I'm gonna buy both, throw them in the bag and continualy have to ask myself, which on is stronger? I'm not saying Track is better cause they number the ball, just saying for the common '"idiot" like me, it made it more simple for a little while. When I can look at my bag, and say I have 900, and it's too strong, I need a 800, or 700, that's easy. Now lets say I have Rotogrip. I have a Mutant Cell Pearl, I need something not quite as strong, let me look in my bag. I have a Rising Star, and a Shooting Star, and a Dark Star. Obviously if you use them, and they are in your bag your gonna know, but how many people on here know which of those is the strongest, and weakest, without looking it up? When Track puts out a new release, all you need is the name to know where it fits into your arsenal. Remember, this is coming from someone switching away from Track, but man I love that number system.

billf
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
You would think a company that sponsors the Argyle Assassin would do a better job with ball design and naming. The numbers make it easy but that's it. No originality.

RoccoRock
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
How hard is it to come up with a name? At this point, I thing companies just put all the unused names in a hat and pull one out at random. Most of the time, the names just seem totaly random. Just think of a cool name, and slap it on the ball. Give me 10 minutes, and even I could come up with random names for all of the Track balls if needed. BTW, big fan of Mike Fagan myslef, he from the same area of Long Island I am from. The league I bowl in is in Patchogue, were he grew up.

billf
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm a huge Fagan fan. I think with another company (outside of the Ebonite International companies) he would have another 5 or 6 titles already.

Josch
08-04-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm a huge Fagan fan. I think with another company (outside of the Ebonite International companies) he would have another 5 or 6 titles already.

What's wrong with Ebonite International? It's all I've ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to.

J Anderson
08-04-2012, 09:03 AM
What's wrong with Ebonite International? It's all I've ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm not sure what's wrong, if anything, with Ebonite. It just seems like Storm and Brunswick are dominating the PBA Tour. Is it that their balls are better or that they have attracted the best bowlers to their staffs? I really don't know.

RoccoRock
08-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Didn't he start with Storm? Should have stayed with them. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with Ebonite brands. When I asked about Track, it was posted that they tend to be inconsistant. I know the 607a I use has a widespread reputaion for being over under. I learned that the day after I bought it, and wish I learned it the day before. I was planning on trying another brand for a while now, but now I am very interested to see another ball will be more consistant for me.

billf
08-04-2012, 01:29 PM
The other brands the past few years seem to all have consistency issues. Storm's domination I contribute a lot of that to their staff, Del Ballard and Hank Boomershine. Brunswick seems to finally have figured out their ills by releasing the Versa series and now the Nexus series. Brunswick HAD a reputation for low hooking balls that couldn't handle to over-under but that's not the case anymore.

Ball99999
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
What does over/under refer to?

brunswick doesn't seem to have very many big name bowlers on staff. they always show sean rash but that dude is creepy as hell

bowl1820
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
A ball reaction that tends to hook too much in the dry part of a lane and too little when in the oil.

Read more info here
Click for Bowling Over/Under Ball Reaction (http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/bowling-overunder-ball-reaction)

billf
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Rash is a head case. Parker Bohn III also on staff. Even being past his prime, he is still one of the best ever and very technically solid. Walter Ray Williams Jr is the all-time career tournament winner, recently on staff. Tom Smallwood who shows that you don't have to have a perfect anything to compete, is also on staff.
Ryan Ciminelli is young and will be a lefty to be reckoned with before long.

Over/under, wet/dry are terms that refer to lane conditions where the oil gets carried down towards the pins and away from the pattern that was laid down. At times it can get blotchy or spotted where you will have oil-dry-oil-dry, etc. This can cause the ball to react unpredictably. Plastic balls are good for causing this condition as they don't absorb oil but rather push it as they go down the lane.
*any help in explaining this so it's more understandable would be appreciated ;)

J Anderson
08-04-2012, 10:02 PM

brunswick doesn't seem to have very many big name bowlers on staff. they always show sean rash but that dude is creepy as hell

I think it means that as the lanes transition the ball over-reacts and then under-reacts as the bowler tries to adjust.

As for Brunswick, they currently have Walter Ray Williams Jr, Parker Bohn III, Johnny Petraglia, Carmen Salvino, all of whom are well known to PBA fans. They also have Tom Smallwood, Tom Hess, Ryan Ciminelli, Tony Reyes and Chris Loeschetter.

Ball99999
08-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Rash is a head case. Parker Bohn III also on staff. Even being past his prime, he is still one of the best ever and very technically solid. Walter Ray Williams Jr is the all-time career tournament winner, recently on staff. Tom Smallwood who shows that you don't have to have a perfect anything to compete, is also on staff.
Ryan Ciminelli is young and will be a lefty to be reckoned with before long.

Over/under, wet/dry are terms that refer to lane conditions where the oil gets carried down towards the pins and away from the pattern that was laid down. At times it can get blotchy or spotted where you will have oil-dry-oil-dry, etc. This can cause the ball to react unpredictably. Plastic balls are good for causing this condition as they don't absorb oil but rather push it as they go down the lane.
*any help in explaining this so it's more understandable would be appreciated ;)

Oh didn't know WRW was on Brunswick now. I haven't seen him much since I started keeping up with bowling but now he's on the senior tour (or both?) and the other names seem to be a bit out of prime, the others rather new.
Storm has Duke, Weber and Belmonte and it seems like those are the ones you always see people talking about.

Don't get me wrong, Brunswick is a huge name. Even before getting into bowling I knew about Brunswick being THE ball company without having a clue why I thought so. It's all subliminal.

billf
08-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Storm has bigger names on staff but Brunswick has been trying to step it up recently.