PDA

View Full Version : Is It Necessary to Know the P.A.P. for a Standard Layout

Josch
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
My first ball, an Ebonite Cyclone, was drilled with a standard pin up and to the right of the fingers and CG in the middle of the span layout. Since this was my first ball I didn't find it strange when the driller did not ask about my P.A.P. since I did not have one yet. When I got my second ball drilled, a Columbia300 White Dot, I didn't find it weird once again since it was just the standard spare ball layout so I didn't believe P.A.P. was necessary at all. When I got my third ball, a Hammer Rhythm, I was a little confused on why the driller did not find my P.A.P. Was this because he was just using a standard layout? The pin is just above my fingers in the center with the CG in the same spot as my Cyclone. I believe my track is medium to medium-low. He had seen me bowl before so he may have known this and had a good guess on what my P.A.P. is. Is it common not to use the P.A.P for standard layouts?

J Anderson
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
My first ball, an Ebonite Cyclone, was drilled with a standard pin up and to the right of the fingers and CG in the middle of the span layout. Since this was my first ball I didn't find it strange when the driller did not ask about my P.A.P. since I did not have one yet. When I got my second ball drilled, a Columbia300 White Dot, I didn't find it weird once again since it was just the standard spare ball layout so I didn't believe P.A.P. was necessary at all. When I got my third ball, a Hammer Rhythm, I was a little confused on why the driller did not find my P.A.P. Was this because he was just using a standard layout? The pin is just above my fingers in the center with the CG in the same spot as my Cyclone. I believe my track is medium to medium-low. He had seen me bowl before so he may have known this and had a good guess on what my P.A.P. is. Is it common not to use the P.A.P for standard layouts?

I suspect with most shops the driller has a favorite layout that hr or she will use unless the customer says the secret word. In other words if you don't mention your P.A.P. or wanting your ball to react a particular way, they will assume that you don't know enough to care if your ball is laid out for your P.A.P. If you show some knowledge and interest in how the ball is laid out, they are usually more than happy to work with you to get you the reaction that you're looking for.

Josch
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I suspect with most shops the driller has a favorite layout that hr or she will use unless the customer says the secret word. In other words if you don't mention your P.A.P. or wanting your ball to react a particular way, they will assume that you don't know enough to care if your ball is laid out for your P.A.P. If you show some knowledge and interest in how the ball is laid out, they are usually more than happy to work with you to get you the reaction that you're looking for.

With my Rhythm I wasn't too worried since I told him I wanted a medium to heavy oil ball and that's what he recommended for me and I was pretty sure he would drill the ball the correct way for that.

got_a_300
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Using the bowlers PAP you can fine tune the ball to get the
most bang for your dollar I would guess he just used what
I call a safe standard layout on your ball.