PDA

View Full Version : Bowling needs to become an olympic sport

Risclab
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Just watching the olympic games and wondered why the heck bowling aint a olympic sport.
There are all kinds of sports represented which I never even heard of. I mean whats J. Rogge
told about the formula 1 being considered as a sport is true. There is too much engineering involved,
and too much is depending on the car and has not at least that much to do with personal performance.
But what about bowling. After all bowling was a demonstration sport in '88. Why wasnt bowling considered
as a regular event!? I would just love to watch the belmontes, barnes, jones, etc. competing.
It would just be so exciting. Woman bowling, Doubles, Mixed Doubles. Too bad it will never happen.
What do you think?

JaMau24
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't say "it will never happen". I sure hope it does. I mean, there are so many "sports" that are in the Olympics that I would say aren't more of a sport then bowling. Bowling definitely should be in the Olympics. I would love to watch that.

dgz924s
07-31-2012, 03:41 PM
In the 1988 Summer Games bowling was introduced as a "demonstration sport". Prior to 1996 any host country could select a sport(1) as an demonstration sport for those games. In the 1988 games 20 countries competed in the first and only bowling competition held. Since then bowling has never been considered mostly because of the Olympics were considered a venue for amateur athletes (how that plays out being Basketball is nothing but paid professionals) is beyond me but nonetheless bowlings best are considered professional therefore not selected as a game up for competition.

We could ask the same question for baseball, tennis, golf and a host of other well known sports to participate at the games, why they are not is a question we most likely will never get a real good answer to.

JaMau24
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
In the 1988 Summer Games bowling was introduced as a "demonstration sport". Prior to 1996 any host country could select a sport(1) as an demonstration sport for those games. In the 1988 games 20 countries competed in the first and only bowling competition held. Since then bowling has never been considered mostly because of the Olympics were considered a venue for amateur athletes (how that plays out being Basketball is nothing but paid professionals) is beyond me but nonetheless bowlings best are considered professional therefore not selected as a game up for competition.

We could ask the same question for baseball, tennis, golf and a host of other well known sports to participate at the games, why they are not is a question we most likely will never get a real good answer to.

I don't ever remember golf at the games, but I may not be old enough to remember. I know baseball was always a joke. All the top players in the world are playing Major League Baseball, and the season would never break for 2 weeks like the NHL season does. Tennis definitely has all the top paid tennis athletes competing, and that may be the most comparable to bowling (not to say they are really comparable). We want bowling!

The German Shepherd
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
If they can have synchronized DIVING (r u kidding me?), rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming and Skeet shooting as an Olympic sport, why not BOWLING!?

Jay

bowl1820
07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Bowling had a chance to get in years ago, there was article in one of the bowling mag's.The person they were talking to was on group who talked to the Olympic people about getting bowling in.
He said The Olympic Committee told them bowling was in as soon as they pony up some money. So they said bowling had integrity and wouldn't do it, They'd get bowling in on merit. Well we see how well that's worked out.

For bowling to get in now, it will take a real Paradigm shift in how bowling is done and perceived. (that and pony up the money)

striker12
07-31-2012, 04:50 PM
if they ever did get bowling into the olympic's i would soo get my self good enoph in bowling to do it because it would be lots of fun and then think of it alot of people will be getting into bowling cause they will think bowlings easy and they might maby get to the olympic's them selfs.

also with bowling on the olympics it will get bowling out there cause a hole bunch of people watch the olympics soo they will see the bowling too.

RoccoRock
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
If it was an Olympic sport, what country would even have a shot against the U.S. If it were a team event, U.S. would dominate. I guess the best bets to give the U.S. trouble are England, with Stuart Wilson and Dom Barrett, and Finland with Mika, and Osku. Who else even had 2 top level bowlers? As an indivdual sport, it would still be bad for the rest of the world, unless they only let in 3 or 4 of the top guys from each country. Then other countries would have a shot at least.

dgz924s
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
If it was an Olympic sport, what country would even have a shot against the U.S. If it were a team event, U.S. would dominate. I guess the best bets to give the U.S. trouble are England, with Stuart Wilson and Dom Barrett, and Finland with Mika, and Osku. Who else even had 2 top level bowlers? As an indivdual sport, it would still be bad for the rest of the world, unless they only let in 3 or 4 of the top guys from each country. Then other countries would have a shot at least.

Actually not the case in 1988 games. Men...South Korea-Gold.... Singapore-Silver and Finland-Bronze....For the Ladies it was Gold-Philipines.... Silver-Japan and Bronze-Finland. These medals did not count in the medal totals. Also not sure if the USA was a participant.

billf
07-31-2012, 11:07 PM
In 2020 the European host nation (I don't remember which country) has said bowling will be an event. Or so I was told by a coach of a national European team.

striker12
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
roccorock team canada would do good if there was a bowling olympics if a few people where i live get on team canada cause they are dame good bowlers 1 of them has already got 32 300 games and did 8 in 1 year but he had 3 back to back foloing weeks.

but there are a few good bowlers here in canada and im not one of them

jimlc2001
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM
In 2020 the European host nation (I don't remember which country) has said bowling will be an event. Or so I was told by a coach of a national European team.

Time to prepare!

Hampe
08-02-2012, 04:47 AM
I don't really think Bowling should be an olympic sport, but I also don't think archery or trap shooting should be either. If those two are included as olympic sports, then bowling should be too.....along with about 500 other hobbies/activities.