PDA

View Full Version : Mike j. Lane side

onefrombills
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Ruocco’s meatball sub sandwich – available at Northrock Lanes in A.J.’s Sports Grill –
spills over the perfectly toasted bun bubbling with two melted cheeses, zesty tomato sauce and hearty meatballs. It grows on you with the very first bite, much like its namesake.

Meet Joe Ruocco. Ruocco (pronounced ROCK-o) was a Wichita public school teacher for 31 years; he used sports cards as a way to get kids interested in learning. Northrock Lanes’ proprietor Frank DeSocio and Ruocco both come from the Bronx, bringing that undeniable East Coast Italian talking-with-your-hands bravado to the broad plains of Kansas. They share a love for the sport of bowling and sports memorabilia.

Like the plump meatballs in Ruocco’s sandwich, the ingredients overflow and blend perfectly in Rock’s Dugout – a baseball card and sports memorabilia shop situated right inside the friendly confines of Northrock Lanes. Any visit to Wichita and Northrock Lanes just would not be complete without a visit to Rock’s Dugout. Save a few hours, trust me.

Joe and Cathy Ruocco have lovingly tended to Rock’s Dugout since 1977, moving from its original location to Northrock Lanes in 2003. The place is literally busting at the seams with memories, yet there is an unmistakable order amongst a lifetime of sports treasures. It’s a baseball card collectors’ paradise – however football, basketball and other sports are also prominently featured. Artifacts line the walls and are hanging from the ceiling; there is not an inch of the place that is not worth exploring.

I don’t think they make a New Yorker that does not have a favorite sports team built-in to their DNA. Ruocco is a dyed-in-the-wool New York Yankees man. The showpiece and literal axis of Rock’s Dugout is an ultra-vintage 10-foot wide 1956 photo montage of the beloved Bronx Bombers. Along the custom wood frame you can find many Yankee greats that have autographed the masterpiece over the years.

Joe Ruocco is a great storyteller; plus he has so many to choose from. Under the well-worn FDNY hat, warm smile and the firm, yet soft-spoken authority – he could have been of one of my favorite teachers. Seems I just missed Ralph Terry, he stopped by Rock’s Dugout the day before my visit. Terry gave up the home run to Bill Mazeroski losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1960 World Series, Ralph went on to World Series MVP in 1962 against the San Francisco Giants. Just another day at Rock’s Dugout.

In his spare time, Ruocco works on bowling promotions – he does business in a bowling center after all. Joe developed a format where 56 bowlers compete on Thursdays as singles, four games per week featuring head-to-head matchups. Ruocco reached into a packed drawer to pull out a hand-drawn multiple-fold matrix – it reminded me of that map Harrison Ford carried in Raiders of the Lost Ark – bowlers love his format, every game has something riding on it according to Ruocco.

An unbeatable combination for fans of bowling and sports memories are available at Rock’s Dugout. Look for Joe and Cathy Ruocco, you can’t miss them. If you have a question, they can help you. Take your time, work up an appetite.

When you’re done, I know a great sandwich I can recommend.