PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y. Leads Wednesday's TQR Field in Omaha.

onefrombills
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
CIMINELLI LEADS PEPSI VIPER CHAMPIONSHIP TQR
Omaha, Neb. - 10/29/2008

Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y. appears to have picked up where he left off last season. Ciminelli led Wednesday’s Tournament Qualifying Round (TQR) with a 1,710 pinfall to easily earn a spot in the Pepsi Viper Championship at Thunder Alley in Omaha, Neb.

Last season, the 22-year-old made a name for himself, by advancing past five TQRs into the main field. In fact, he became only the fourth bowler to lead a TQR in back-to-back events in both the Lumber Liquidators Earl Anthony Classic in Reno and the PBA Exempt Doubles Classic in Las Vegas. Ciminelli went on to finish a career-best 10th in Medford last year.

In Wednesday’s TQR, Ciminelli bested the field by at least 67 pins.

“You always have to think that you can finish No. 1 because if you have that attitude, even if you don’t get it, but you’re close, you have a good shot of making it past the TQR,” Ciminelli said. “I never made it out (of TQR) on Viper (lane condition) before. I was 0-2 coming into this event. Last year it was the Scorpion pattern which I usually have good luck on, but I didn’t make it out.”

Ciminelli is confident that he can continue his success here in Omaha.

“The key is just for me to stay relaxed,” he said. “As soon as I get anxious, any time I had too much adrenaline, the ball would not read the lane right.”

Also earning spots in Thursday’s Round of 64 were: Rick Miller of Lincoln. Neb. with a score of 1643, Scott Newell of Deland, Fla. with 1608 pins, Lonnie Waliczek of Wichita, Kan. with a score of 1551, P.J. Haggerty of Clovis, Calif at 1546 and Jonathan Van Hees of Newport, R.I. with a score of 1530.

Thursday’s competition continues with the qualifying round of 64, cutting down the field to the top 32 players.