PDA

View Full Version : Why do people play inside vs outside?

Ball99999
08-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Can anyone point me to the specific mindsets for why people play say 5th arrow and why some would play 1st arrow? Or for that matter why some play center arrow (is it for longer patterns so it doesn't have to go far to reach the pocket?)

Why would someone hook from gutter to gutter while Norm Duke can roll the ball up pretty straight into the pocket?

eugene02
08-03-2012, 05:39 AM
It depends on how individual would play. Thats why there's Cranker, Stroker, and Tweener and so forth.. for me i'll try to throw straight down and into the pocket until it's rather dry than i'll start moving left..

Ball99999
08-03-2012, 05:51 AM
I think I've read that stroker has to be more accurate and that's the difference?

Keithalw
08-03-2012, 06:56 AM
I know I am not a cranker and been told that I more less stroke the ball out there. I play right down the first arrow from the right and as eugene02 said I move left as it starts to dry up.

Keithalw
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
I dont know if they have to be more accurate or not Ball99999 im kind of curious as well.

Ball99999
08-03-2012, 07:58 AM
So when you move left, do you eventually end up on the inside playing a gutter to gutter ball? Or do you transition balls by then?

J Anderson
08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Can anyone point me to the specific mindsets for why people play say 5th arrow and why some would play 1st arrow? Or for that matter why some play center arrow (is it for longer patterns so it doesn't have to go far to reach the pocket?)

Why would someone hook from gutter to gutter while Norm Duke can roll the ball up pretty straight into the pocket?

Part of it is the style of the bowler, part is the lane conditions. When you see Duke rolling it down down 5 it is because the lane conditions favor his "A" game. Believe me that when that shot isn't working he's out in the middle or the left throwing as much hook as he needs.

eugene02
08-03-2012, 09:44 AM
For me I'm using the DV8 HRR, when the lanes are getting dry, i'm throwing from the middle arrow either right 1 arrow or left 1 arrow. depends on how dry the lanes are.

eugene02
08-03-2012, 09:46 AM
I think I've read that stroker has to be more accurate and that's the difference?
This is totally untrue. Whatever ways you throw it, wherever you throw it.. you need to be accurate. How can you score great if your not accurate at all.. So.. think about it..

I dont know if they have to be more accurate or not Ball99999 im kind of curious as well.
The answer would be no. thats in my own opinion.

bowl1820
08-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Stroker style bowlers tend to have a lower rev rate and not as high a back swing as crankers, so they depend more on having a repeatable and accurate shots. Mainly because the ball doesn't have quite the kinetic energy a cranker style would have.

Strokers get into trouble more when the lanes are dry and might not carry as many less than perfect hits that a cranker would.

Strokers I feel also have more room to adjust by moving and varying their release. Where as Crankers adjust mainly by varying speed and release.

Cranker style bowlers tend to have higher rev rates and higher back swings. And depend on generating area (a margin of error for being just a little less accurate) and power to score well on less than perfect shots/hits.

Crankers get into trouble when the lanes are "tight" (Lanes that don't hook much). They don't have any area to miss and tend leave more bad split's than a stroker. So they have to wait for the lanes to "open up", to get that area they need.

If the lanes are too dry both would have a problem.

Tweeners are trying for a little of both styles

Ball99999
08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
How do they get such a high backswing?

bowl1820
08-03-2012, 07:26 PM
How do they get such a high backswing?

Click here for How To Begin The Bowling Back Swing (http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/how-to-begin-the-bowling-back-swing-6)

Sample:

The height of your back swing will depend on several factors. How high you hold the ball from the floor in your stance position will influence the pace of the back swing once the ball begins swinging. How much you restrict the ball from swinging loosely and freely from your bowling shoulder during the back swing motion will influence the back swing height. Your physical stature contributes to the your level of flexibility and to how high the ball will swing in relation to shoulder level. Typically, the ball should swing to about shoulder level at the top of the back swing cycle.

Some bowlers with great flexibility have a naturally higher back swing than other bowlers. Some bowlers have a short swing radius and the ball will not reach shoulder level at the top of their back swing. Tall bowlers will typically have a back swing higher off of the floor than short players. Any number of back swing levels can be successful. So long as your back swing cycle moves freely and smoothly to the top of the back swing with little or no muscle restriction, then the height of your the back swing will be natural regardless of your physical stature. The strategy is to set the ball into a good position at the top of your back swing and aligned to your target.

Ball99999
08-04-2012, 05:17 AM
I've seen a couple times about having bent elbows, where does this apply and why is it bad?

J Anderson
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I've seen a couple times about having bent elbows, where does this apply and why is it bad?

If you are trying to use a free relaxed arm swing bending the elbow introduces muscle tension.

billf
08-04-2012, 01:45 PM
John, I've told him that on a few threads already. Evidently he doesn't want to believe me so here's to hoping he will believe you.

billf
08-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Now to answer very bluntly the question of this thread

There are a lot of people that are in love with the "hollywood" hook. The sweeping, huge, powerful, gutter to gutter hook. Splits and nasty leaves be damned, these people are there for the flash, not the cash. These are the jokers that play that same line on every pattern, every lane, every condition. They either can't or won't adjust their game to the conditions.

There are others that are true "bowlers". They can play gutter to gutter but know their strengths and weaknesses. They play where the conditions dictate to maximize score. They can play down and in when needed and can throw the big, sweeping hook if needed. When they miss they tend to leave spare attempts than can be converted.

RoccoRock
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
No matter what your style, you need to be versitile. You have to learn what patterns are favorable for playing inside, and which play outside, and which lend themselves to multiple angles. When you say, "why do guys play inside" who are you refering too? Guys who show up, and just play house shots and try to hook it as much as possible? Or are you talking about pros? Guys like Belmo, Rash, PDW, that's what they do best, that's why they do it. Guys like Mike Fagan can do both very well, that's why he may be one of the best all around guys in the world. I was thinking of bowling a touney tomorrow, and they use shark pattern. I read up on it, and pretty much the only way to play Shark is inside. So if your watching a PBA event, and they're on Shark, you may see Belmo lofting over the left gutter, and using huge hook. It's because his rev rate is through the roof, and that's the best way for him to play it. BTW, he won the Shark tourney this year doing that. It all depends on the lanes conditions, the bowlers ball speed, and rev rate, and the ball they are using. Higher rev bowlers will tend to play more inside than others. You say Norm Duke plays outside and they are great, so why doesn't everyone play like that? Well Pete Weber is just as great, and he plays inside most of the time, so why don't most people play like that? Pick what works for you, and stop worrying about what other people do, and how they bowl.

Ball99999
08-04-2012, 09:02 PM
John, I've told him that on a few threads already. Evidently he doesn't want to believe me so here's to hoping he will believe you.

What do you mean??

Ball99999
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM
No matter what your style, you need to be versitile. You have to learn what patterns are favorable for playing inside, and which play outside, and which lend themselves to multiple angles. When you say, "why do guys play inside" who are you refering too? Guys who show up, and just play house shots and try to hook it as much as possible? Or are you talking about pros? Guys like Belmo, Rash, PDW, that's what they do best, that's why they do it. Guys like Mike Fagan can do both very well, that's why he may be one of the best all around guys in the world. I was thinking of bowling a touney tomorrow, and they use shark pattern. I read up on it, and pretty much the only way to play Shark is inside. So if your watching a PBA event, and they're on Shark, you may see Belmo lofting over the left gutter, and using huge hook. It's because his rev rate is through the roof, and that's the best way for him to play it. BTW, he won the Shark tourney this year doing that. It all depends on the lanes conditions, the bowlers ball speed, and rev rate, and the ball they are using. Higher rev bowlers will tend to play more inside than others. You say Norm Duke plays outside and they are great, so why doesn't everyone play like that? Well Pete Weber is just as great, and he plays inside most of the time, so why don't most people play like that? Pick what works for you, and stop worrying about what other people do, and how they bowl.

I was hoping to understand technically how the oil conditions make one way better than the other to play. Like you said with the Shark pattern, what is it about the Shark pattern requires players to play inside?

bowl1820
08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
what is it about the Shark pattern requires players to play inside?

In the middle of the pattern there is less oil, toward the outside of the pattern there's a lot more oil.

If you throw the ball outside it's in all that oil and won't want to hook back to the pins. So you have to play more in the middle of the lane where you don't have to fight that larger amount of oil.

Think of it as a narrow road with ice on both sides of it, if you get too far off to the side of the road and into the ice your tires lose traction and you won't be able to get back on the road. So you have to drive in the middle of the road.

Tampabaybob
08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Believing a picture is worth a thousand words.....here's a link to some videos that may explain everything and answer your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL825AE390411D9624&feature=plcp

Bob