PDA

View Full Version : I'm joining a league!

panbanger
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Yay! I'm joining a Sunday night league. It works out well since with my work schedule, I work the evening shift every 3rd week (Mon-Fri). So Saturday and Sunday are my only real league options, but Saturday is only junior leagues.

I haven't been in a league since the 80s, when it was all Young American Bowling Alliance (YABA), or something to that effect. Should be fun! I really don't know what to expect yet. The lady from the bowling center just said I need to show up for the meeting in September and they'll get me on a team, registered with USBC, etc.

So yay! :cool:

J Anderson
08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Hope that you get put on a team with good people. Best of luck!

jimlc2001
08-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Good luck!

billf
08-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Good luck and remember to have fun!

striker12
08-04-2012, 09:21 AM
good luck have fun

Fetus
08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Do they just assign random people together or do they give you an option to make a team from available singles? First night of the league I'm in they sent all of the incomplete teams to the lounge. We got to mingle there and find people we liked. It's turned out well, I'm really enjoying the people on my team.

billf
08-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Lounge? Where can one find such luxuries? lol Sorry, my home center is a tiny 12 lane facility.
Our men's league has a sign-up board. The team captains (24 highest averages last season) then draft their team by those available within a certain average range. So each team will have one player in the 230+ range, one in the 210-220 range, etc

J Anderson
08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
So its like choosing sides in gym class?

billf
08-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Kind of although I never thought of it that way. It let's the captains choose the team they want while not allowing any one team to be fully loaded. Being a scratch league it wouldn't be much fun having a 230 bowler going against a 190 bowler. The required average to join was lowered again this year. Down to 170 now. Not sure why or where the other bowlers are going but definitely having trouble filling this league.

panbanger
08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow if it's anything like gym class, I'll be the kid who was picked last for everything except kick-ball! ;)

Funny enough, I went to school at a time where bowling (with hollow rubber balls and plastic pins) was actually an activity we did from time to time in gym class. And that's where I also learned how to keep score. I doubt they still do things like that in gym class these days, or if it's even a requirement.

ursus
08-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Wow if it's anything like gym class, I'll be the kid who was picked last for everything except kick-ball! ;)

Funny enough, I went to school at a time where bowling (with hollow rubber balls and plastic pins) was actually an activity we did from time to time in gym class. And that's where I also learned how to keep score. I doubt they still do things like that in gym class these days, or if it's even a requirement.

We had those same balls and pins too, leaning to keep score and the whole 9 yards