PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Symmetric and ASymmetric cores?

Keithalw
08-04-2012, 05:14 AM
I seen the balls with Symmetric and ASymmetric cores.. is there a difference and if so what is it? Do you prefer one over the other? I know my vital and mission 2.o have aSymmetric cores and my freeze has a Symmetric core.

J Anderson
08-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Asymmetric cores will have more track flare than symmetric ones. This gives them a stronger reaction for a given coverstock. It also means that you need to be more consistent in your delivery since any variation from the norm will be amplified.

bowl1820
08-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I seen the balls with Symmetric and ASymmetric cores.. is there a difference and if so what is it? Do you prefer one over the other? I know my vital and mission 2.o have aSymmetric cores and my freeze has a Symmetric core.

Well heres the wiki answer to start:

Symmetrical Core:
A core which is radially symmetric about the Low RG axis, meaning you can take a cross-section of the ball at any point along the Axis with the Low RG as its end point, the ball will be circular.

Asymmetrical Core
Asymmetrical cores are cores which are NOT radially symmetric down the long axis (Low RG), which is the axis with the Pin as its end point. If we were to take cross sections down the long axis, the cross sections would NOT be symmetric.

If there are axes of symmetry in the cross section, each one would give a different shape. For instance, an equilateral triangle would be considered symmetric, because it has three identical axes of symmetry. A perfect square would also be considered symmetric, with four axes of symmetry, with two identical pairs. However, an ellipse would be asymmetric, since it has two axes of symmetry, which both look different. A regular, non-square, rectangle would also be considered asymmetric, since it also has two, non-identical axes of symmetry.

Think of a child's toy TOP or a Light bulb they would examples of a Symmetrical object (in fact there are cores that look like those).
When you spin the top, it's very stable and starts to wobble slowly.

Symmetrical core balls are the same way, they give you a smooth, controllable motion compared to an asymmetrical ball.

Now think of a child's toy TOP with a big thumbtack stuck on the side, This would be like a Asymmetrical core.
When you spin it, the top will start wobbling real fast.

Asymmetrical cores react to friction on the lanes faster and more aggressively.

billf
08-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Added to above;
Asymmetric cores tend to read friction quicker. This can be advantageous on heavy oil, long patterns or fresh THS. However, when the pattern starts to wear these balls also have a tendency to over-react and tend to not like wet-dry conditions.
Symmetric cores see the friction but due to their construction they take a split second longer to react. This delay allows for the ball to not over-react and be more stable through wet-dry conditions. While these balls can be used on heavy oil, longer patterns, most bowlers will have to be a few boards (about 5) closer to the ball hand to compensate for the delayed reaction when it reaches the friction.

Keithalw
09-27-2012, 06:07 AM
What exactly is the difference between the two? is one better than the other?

GeorgiaStroker
09-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Without getting too technical, a symmetrical ball has less than 5 percent difference between the high radius of gyration and the intermediate radius of gyration. An asymmetrical ball has more than 5 percent difference. This is before drilling. Really once a ball is drilled they all become somewhat asymmetrical. Practically speaking a symmetrical ball will have a smoother more even hook while an asymmetrical ball will tend to have a sharper break point to the pocket, all other things being equal.

bowl1820
09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Keithalw Since you asked this before I merged the threads.

Zothen
09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I have both asymmetric and symmetric balls. I having high speed(15-16mph)and low revs(250 range)prefer symmetrical balls for THS which include dry-medium oil conditions where I don't need a big hook. For sport leagues which use either Kiegel or PBA patterns I prefer asymmetrical balls where I need the bigger hook to get thru the heavier oil. Most symmetrical balls have a round shape where as asymmetrical balls have been shaved off on 1 side. Their are exceptions!

Examples of aysmmetricl balls-Brunswick-neXus,Roto Grip-Defiant
Examples of symmetrical balls-Amf-bullwhip,Roto Grip-beserk & shout

Zothen

Keithalw
09-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Thank you bowl1820... I was thinking last night when I posted it that I asked once before but couldnt find it and figure if I ask again someone would point it out that I asked lol... Sorry bout that though. Also nifty lil trick you did on merging them...