PDA

View Full Version : Bowler collapses, dies moments after 300 game

Baroncad
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Bowler collapses, dies moments after 300 game
Updated: October 31, 2008, 11:17 AM EST Comment

RAVENNA, Mich. (AP) - He had belonged to the same team at a bowling alley for 45 years, and he had just rolled a 300 for his first perfect game.

Then Don Doane collapsed on the floor while high-fiving his Nutt Farm teammates. The 62-year-old bowler from Ravenna was taken to a hospital but couldn't be saved. A medical examiner said a heart attack was the cause of death.

Jim Nutt spoke with Grand Rapids TV stations WOOD and WZZM about his friend and teammate, who collapsed Oct. 16 at Ravenna Bowl. Nutt says "Doane had many friends at the bowling alley and it's strange not seeing him on league nights".

Just read it on MSN, sorry to hear this and sad that he couldn't savory his first 300.

May he be bowling with Earl and Dick at the Pearly Gates Bowl-a-Rama.

kev3inp
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, if I had to choose a way to go that might be one of them. It's sad, but I'm happy for him that he got to get it in before his life ended. There's no way any of us can know when our time is up, but what better way than after achieving perfection in the sport he so obviously loved? It's a shame he didn't have more time to savor the moment. I raise my glass to you, Mr. Doane.

Trex
08-04-2011, 01:21 AM
I have seen this, sort of,.... This guy finally bowls a 300 game after years of bowling. The next year he passed away. At least he got to savor it for a year.

comfortably numb
08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
This is sort of like the high school boy from Michigan who dropped dead after scoring the winning basket in overtime last year. Maybe such extreme excitement and exertion puts some people with hidden heart problems into no-win situations; it is always tragic.