PDA

View Full Version : I finally remembered to take video of my bowling.

Mike White
08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I did this last night 08/06/12.

It's the first time I've seen myself bowling on video, so no matter how much you laugh at it, I've already laughed more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgFt4v5aDg

Any tips on camera placement? Oh, yes, and how to stop dropping the damn ball? LOL

The German Shepherd
08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Looks like you need a tighter thumb hole perhaps? This can be a fairly common problem for some crankers as they bend their elbow on the down swing and straighten it on their release in order to creat more revs. This requires a tighter thumb for some folks....

Jay

billf
08-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I didn't laugh at all. ,I like how low you get and the way you bend the ankle on your balance leg. Nice movement for a white dot.
Camera; move to the right about 2-3 feet.

Mike White
08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I didn't laugh at all. ,I like how low you get and the way you bend the ankle on your balance leg. Nice movement for a white dot.
Camera; move to the right about 2-3 feet.

I should see about getting sponsored by Alka-seltzer because all of my shots starts with "Plop Plop".

Mike White
08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Looks like you need a tighter thumb hole perhaps? This can be a fairly common problem for some crankers as they bend their elbow on the down swing and straighten it on their release in order to creat more revs. This requires a tighter thumb for some folks....

Jay

The elbow bend is completely unintentional, and high on my list of things to get rid of.
I'm thinking it may have something to do with subconsciously trying to keep my hand under the ball because the thumb is coming out.

I've fought with getting the span close. With a full fingertip, it hurt a nerve on the palm side of my thumb. I just had the span shortened before I took this video.
That solved the nerve problem, but magnified the "Plop Plop" problem. Clearly the thumb size is next. Hopefully the guy gets the thumb pitches right when he reduces the thumb. I'd hate the throw one through the ceiling.

DanielMareina
08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
There are two things that I think may be the cause of the dropping. One is your thumb hole is too big, or it needs less away pitch. Both of those will help get a good grip on the ball, and hold on to it a little longer. Number two is that you accelerate through your forward swing so fast that it is hard to see on the video. I would try to create more of a free arm swing. This is done by allowing the ball to fall naturally from the peak of your back swing. You will always accelerate it a little bit, but you really pull the ball down. By doing this, you create momentum for your ball in a downward motion, and your thumb can't stop it from wanting to continue on this path.

As for the camera, I really like to take video from 2 feet left of my right shoulder and back off the approach a couple feet. You need a tripod big enough to see over the ball return on the left lane, but it is a good angle. Also, if there aren't many people at the bowling center, video from the side. It will give you the best perspective on when and how much your arm bends, and how your swing looks. What the ball does on the lane isn't relivent when working on your approach and swing. Best of luck!

martinezsam2495
08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
oh god, you look like my substitue teacher who said he could school me in bowling, you don't happen to be Mr. Gomez do you?
o.O

billf
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
oh god, you look like my substitue teacher who said he could school me in bowling, you don't happen to be Mr. Gomez do you?
o.O
I would bet he isn't but rather Mr. White

Mike White
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
I would bet he isn't but rather Mr. White

Bill, don't you know that substitute teachers don't always use their real name.

A good example would be the movie The School of Rock (2003) starring Jack Black.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332379/
As a side note, look up who the writer was on that movie.

Hot_pocket
08-09-2012, 01:42 AM
so that is really a white dot? im jealous you get that kind of movement out of a spare ball lol .

Mike White
08-09-2012, 02:47 AM
so that is really a white dot? im jealous you get that kind of movement out of a spare ball lol .

Back in the day, to have a high carry percentage you had to put some hand in the ball.

Since I've been Van Winkle for the last 20 years I haven't adapted to balls that hook while still in the box.

striker12
08-09-2012, 10:43 PM
on wed i put abit of hand under my plastic ball like i normaly do and it normaly dose not hook but on wed it did shooting at a 9 pin and i had the ball a board to the right of the 9pin and it ended up at the 5pin when it got down there and i did a forward roll too.

Mike White
10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Video #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Mc4QRZW3M

Almost a good one for the camera.

billf
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Where the heck have you been?!?!?!

The German Shepherd
10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Yikes! Nice game!

Jay

billf
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Figures, miss the pocket altogether and got some strikes, hit it flush and get 9.

AZBowla
10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Yikes! Nice game!

Jay

Yeah no kidding! I hope I can bowl that "bad" someday!

Brother_jd
10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice game!

Mike White
10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Where the heck have you been?!?!?!

I took some time off so you would have a chance to win another ball.