PDA

View Full Version : Hello New Bowler from CA

Tokes
08-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Hello Im a new bowler in southern California with a 130 average on my day league and a 150 average on my night league. I've been trolling around these boards for a few months now and thought I'd finally start posting and what not. I started bowling with friends around February this year its awesome fun and alot more affordable than golf. I've gotten kind've obsessed real quick with bowling my goal is to have my top 10 scores over 200. So yeah thanks for all the tips ive found myself getting a whole lot more consistent.

One question I am not really a day person and i find myself real stiff and not warmed up really if you have a league day in the mourning are there certain stretches or warm ups? Because that first game is awful and once i get loosened up around the second game i start hitting a 160+.

Oh my name is an old high school nickname cause I constantly had a cig. Now I am Tokes because the pins get smoked lol. My friends all used nicknames and its the only one i ever had.

Keithalw
08-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Well Tokes welcome to bowling boards... I do not know of any stretches although I am sure someone here would. I know that the guy who has been helping me tells me to always make sure to squat a few times grab my ball and act like I am throwing it to loosen up my arm. Sorry thats all I have to offer but I am curious as well

The German Shepherd
08-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome to BB!

Jay

striker12
08-09-2012, 09:22 AM
welcome to bowlingboards lots of nice people on here just try to stay away from bill he jokes around alot soo if u miss spell 2 words in 1 sentance he will get u on it....but it is all for fun

J Anderson
08-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello Im a new bowler in southern California with a 130 average on my day league and a 150 average on my night league. I've been trolling around these boards for a few months now and thought I'd finally start posting and what not. I started bowling with friends around February this year its awesome fun and alot more affordable than golf. I've gotten kind've obsessed real quick with bowling my goal is to have my top 10 scores over 200. So yeah thanks for all the tips ive found myself getting a whole lot more consistent.

One question I am not really a day person and i find myself real stiff and not warmed up really if you have a league day in the mourning are there certain stretches or warm ups? Because that first game is awful and once i get loosened up around the second game i start hitting a 160+.

Oh my name is an old high school nickname cause I constantly had a cig. Now I am Tokes because the pins get smoked lol. My friends all used nicknames and its the only one i ever had.

Current wisdom is that your muscles need to be warm before stretching. 10 to 15 minutes of walking at a brisk pace, starting slow for the first minute or two, with some vigorous arm pumping should get every thing warmed up. There was an article awhile back in US Bowler on shoulder stretches. Most of us need to stretch our hamstrings and quads too.

jimlc2001
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome!

Hot_pocket
08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
welcome...one thing i like to do are should stretches and leg stretches. http://www.google.com/imgres?start=251&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=643&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=oCXMJFHZgay9dM:&imgrefurl=http://calgaryphysicaltherapy.com/neck-and-shoulder-stretches/&docid=oUBUdEvdtAgL4M&imgurl=http://calgaryphysicaltherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/shoulder-stretches.jpg&w=586&h=240&ei=uW0kUN2hCIr_6QGZ5oH4BQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=144&sig=103591264904138454022&page=10&tbnh=82&tbnw=200&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:251,i:224&tx=104&ty=67 http://health.allrefer.com/pictures-images/thigh-stretch.html ...those in particular. Hope this helps.

billf
08-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of bowling boards. Nice to see you join and not just troll. I usually just pick on Striker for the grammar and spelling.....he gives me too many chances to pass up. As for the stretching, dynamic stretches before bowling (running in place, jumping jacks, etc) and static after (especially for the legs) is what is currently being taught by the USBC.

Tokes
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Very nice suggestions I'll try those warm ups and stretches before I go bowling tomorrow. I like the walking idea I usually take the lazy route and drive a little out of the way to pick up gatorade I could easily work that walk in before hand. They should really help me out.

striker12
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
that sounds like a good idea walking but dont walk to much its gets tiring and mainly when u have to walk 6 bowling balls up to the bowling allie.

bill i have to keep your fun up and mine by doing it but i have gotten better and not do it as much anymore, im starting to figure out where these things go and sometime i jsut forget to put it in lol.

Tokes
08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
that sounds like a good idea walking but dont walk to much its gets tiring and mainly when u have to walk 6 bowling balls up to the bowling allie.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna need a bigger car if I get 6 bowling balls lol.

1. I got a couple question i've been called a full roller whats that?
2. I have a problem pulling the bowling ball and not having a a smooth pendulum swing is there any exercise for at home to work on that or is that something strictly for practice on the lanes?
3. When I show up to practice I usually only bowl like 3 to 5 games and go bowling 3 times a week should I bowl more than that?

J Anderson
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna need a bigger car if I get 6 bowling balls lol.

1. I got a couple question i've been called a full roller whats that?
2. I have a problem pulling the bowling ball and not having a a smooth pendulum swing is there any exercise for at home to work on that or is that something strictly for practice on the lanes?
3. When I show up to practice I usually only bowl like 3 to 5 games and go bowling 3 times a week should I bowl more than that?

1. A full roller is someone who has zero or almost zero degrees of axis tilt. The oil track on the ball will generally pass between the thumb hole and the finger holes. I believe that Bowl1820 posted a good diagram of this a week or two ago.

2. You can work on getting a pendulum swing anywhere you have room to swing your arms. There is a weighted arm swing drill where you stand as if you are about to go into your slide; slide foot forward, the other foot 12" to 18" ( for an adult ) inches directly behind, knees slightly bent, upper body tilted forward about 15 degrees. Take a 3 to 5 pound weight in the hand that you bowl with and let it hang by your side, swing the weight slightly forward and then let gravity swing the ball back and forth. You could also do this with a bowling ball but then you should use a sling, a.k.a seesaw towel, to avoid getting in the habit of holding on to the ball past the release point.

3.Assuming that you have good practice habits, i.e. you go with a purpose or a plan for your practice time, not just throwing three or four games trying to get strikes, the more practice the better. Most of us don't have either the time or the money to practice as much as we should. It is possible to practice too much. When you start losing your focus, you need to take a break. If any thing starts to hurt, you need to stop an possibly take a few days off. After muscles have been used the need time to build back up, a day off every other day or every third day helps with this. Our brains retain things better if they are exposed to the information to be learned repeatedly over time at random intervals rather than being immersed in the subject for one long stretch. In other words its better to practice your free arm swing fro 15 - 20 minutes every other day for a week than it is to practice it for an hour to an hour and a half once a week.