PDA

View Full Version : What was your first real league?

Tokes
08-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Hey I'm new to bowling have been in a couple of leagues for bowling balls, shoes and bag, and a lunch n bowl. A bunch of the bowlers have been telling me for a little bit now that I should join a real league. So I signed up for a 39 week handicapped league that ends with a trip to vegas and I hope I do ok.

So on with the theme of this thread what was your first league? And on a lesser note how did you feel you were ready for a league?

J Anderson
08-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey I'm new to bowling have been in a couple of leagues for bowling balls, shoes and bag, and a lunch n bowl. A bunch of the bowlers have been telling me for a little bit now that I should join a real league. So I signed up for a 39 week handicapped league that ends with a trip to vegas and I hope I do ok.

So on with the theme of this thread what was your first league? And on a lesser note how did you feel you were ready for a league?

A league is a league, doesn't matter whether your team is a bunch of kids just learning how to get the ball down the lane in a Saturday morning youth league, some 200+ average guys going after a big chunk of a five figure prize fund on a weekday evening, or a seniors bowling for free coffee and an excuse to get out of the house on a weekday morning. As long as there are multiple teams and someone is keeping track of wins and losses it is a league.

Now to your questions: Norwalk Church league. I don't even remember if I felt that I was ready, this was 1975, my Dad's team was losing a player for two months. At the time it was an adult men only league, minimum age 16. I had never bowled before and Dad took me to the alley to try a couple of games the Saturday before I started in league.

Hampe
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
The first league I ever played in was a company league where the teams are all sponsored by companies (and the players for the teams are with few exceptions employees of that company). A guy I worked with kept telling me about it and I eventually I asked if I could join. Since then I've changed teams but this coming season will be my 6th. There's no handicap, instead the league is divided into smaller leagues and when you win one season you move up to the next league (and the last place team drops down). Dunno if I felt I was "ready" for it....other than the top sub-league, it's pretty relaxed and casual.

jimlc2001
08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
My first league was a juniors league when I was 11 or 12 (94-95). After that one year, I didn't league bowl until 2005 when I joined my squadron's intramural team.

panbanger
08-09-2012, 03:44 PM
My first leage was when I was about 12 in 1982 or 1983. Got a ball from either KMart or Woolco, was it a Black Beauty? I think it was a Black Beauty 10 or 12 pounder. Stayed in the YABA leaues until I was 16, then reformed my high school's team my senior year in high school when I was 17. I had worked my way up to a sweet black Rhino 16lb by then.

The high school league was great. We would all just pile in to my car (my parent's car actually) once a week after school and head to Mid City Lanes in New Orleans, what an alley! Wood lanes, above the alley ball returns, the whole deal. We weren't an incredible team, but we did okay. The week we beat our school cross-town rivals they mentioned us during homeroom announcements the next morning and played our school fight song in our honor.

The German Shepherd
08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
My first league was a Moose Club Youth league that I started in when I was 8 years old...

Jay

billf
08-09-2012, 09:53 PM
My first league was 7 seasons ago. I had no clue what to expect and had just started to bowl. My brother-in-law wanted to bowl in it so he talked me and my not ex-wife into joining. I was 36 years old. Now I'm president of that Sat. night league. I also now bowl in three other leagues.

Keithalw
08-10-2012, 04:32 AM
I bowled on "beginner" league at our local house and then we all decided we wanted to do sanctioned. I mean if we shot a 300 we would get a handshake and a print out but I wanted more and so did my team mates. This summer we joined a league called deuces wild and it was two people teams. Me and a buddy joined and our girl friends joined on a team with each other... Well first sanctioned league we came in third and the girls came in first lol and won the roll off. Compared to the beginner league we was in there was less bickering and less bs to deal with than the sanctioned. Im only in one league but thinking winter I might do two

TheSheibs
08-11-2012, 02:26 PM
First league I have ever bowled was a YABA league when I was in 6th grade and averaged 130-140. I finished the YABA league my senior year of high school and my average was a 154. I am pretty sure I maxed out the ability of the ball I was using too. First Adult league was the 2011-2012 season at Seirra Bowl(which sadly is closed) with the Lane Lovers. I had some fun with that league since most where not 200+ average bowlers and just had a good time with a good group. Especially since my average was 124 and I was getting back into bowling after 11 years.

Hot_pocket
08-13-2012, 12:20 AM
my first league was in jr. league in 96. I started pushing a ball when i was about 3 years old and bowling in the league my grandmother ran by time i was 5. I got serious at 13 where i moved from one house to the next for better competition to challenge myself. My first adult league i was in at 18.

RoccoRock
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
AMF Shirley, NY. I was 19. I did 2 leagues there, then basically didn't pick up a ball again for 13 years. Joined cause I wanted something fun to do with my best friend, started out just terrible, but I finished well. I even got a trophy for most improved. Wish I stuck with it, and didn't stop for such a long time.

backlasher
08-14-2012, 05:46 AM
I retired recently and took up bowling to have something to do. My local alley has free bowling for seniors on Monday, no taps on Wednesday and a senior league on Friday. I joined the senior league because they're all nice folks. I guess we're doing O.K. since we're a small suburb of Houston and we have 21 four person teams signed up. This is a sanctioned league.

wdc1987
08-28-2012, 07:28 PM
I started on the begineer leagues and as my average kept raising and we kept winning the leagues I started to get bored and irritated with the drama! I was ready last year but stayed with my team until they were also ready to move up, We did a doubles league over the summer and we ended up with 33.5 wins. we placed second in total wins so i was very pleased with how we performed. I noticed a big change in how i bowled by moving to a real league and felt more confident in my partner and myself. But the real test will be this coming up season when the "good Bowlers" return.

floridanative772
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Started on leauge when I was 5 bowling bumpers lol. And back then the bumpers were like inflatable tubes they blew up and stuck in the gutter. Bowled league every year and when i was old enough participated in every state tournament that was during the summer. When i was 16 i joined the high school bowling team and bowled my 9th and 10th grade years. Lost interest in playing after that and was more concerned with running around with friends and getting in trouble. Now im 28 and have a family and started to miss it, and is why i have found this great place to get back up with the times and start competing again.

AngeloPD
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
My first league was back in the Philippines when i was 11, i played with my mom in the doubles league and we finished 1st place. I remember i was the youngest on that league. then i stopped bowling when i moved here in the states when i was 12. and now my first league here will start on tuesday, and im very excited to play.

Siddy
09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
My first was The Juniors league, started when i was about 5-6 and stayed with it till i was 17-18. Pretty much when my mom said it was now my choice and the rules they was giving in the league was getting way to strict.

We had different shirts for each age group Red shirts 5-8, Green shirts 8-11, yellow shirts 11-15, blue shirts 15-18 ( think that how it went)

75lockwood
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm Still in my first League!

I Started bowling in the YBC at Markham bowl on Saturday mornings 5 years ago, since then i have had to take some time off with an ankle injury but now i'm back as one of the oldest bowlers in the league. up until this year we have had at most 10-12 bowlers in any given year, but this year things got kind of crazy! there are 15 new 8-12 years old's that haven't bowled before.

hehateme
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Started YABA when I was 7 around 1984 or so, did that 'til about 16-17, burnt out 'til about now.. I tried a couple mens leagues over the years, but never could keep it up.

bayedup84
10-05-2012, 11:05 AM
My first was a juniors league at Vero Bowl when I was 13

bowl1820
10-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I started by regularly bowling in jackpot and rock n bowl for awhile then went to a league.