PDA

View Full Version : Best ball for house shots??

EboniteKid299
08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm just curious as I go into my first year as adult what everybody's opinion is on what the overall best ball out there is for most easy house shots? I'm guessing the more angular is always better for carry purposes. Idk anybody have an opinion or two?

jimlc2001
08-12-2012, 04:29 PM
It all depends on your release style, what area you prefer to play, and each center's THS. I usually start with my Cell Pearl because it shows me the oil pattern length and how aggressive of a ball I will need. For heavier house shots, I love the Virtual Gravity, and for drier shots, my Karma pearl is fantastic.

striker12
08-12-2012, 05:58 PM
well as jimlc sead it depends for me when i irt go to the bowling allie i grab 4 out of 6 of my balls out of my bag my pro performance, my high performance , and 2 med performace balls my pro performance is the first to go down the lane my hell raiser revenge soo i cna see how much oil is on the lane if it works good then i pull it off and save it for later on in the game for when my line starts to dry soo i can move all the way left, next shot i use my 900 global the nuts and its agressive just like my hell raiser revenge but it will help me find out how long the oil, but my normal ball i throw is my track kinetic pearl i throw it always up the right side from standing on 20 and pushing it out to the 6 board and it comes back in but when that ball starts to over hook i grab my DV8 too reckless witch is drilled for length and it always dose the job when my kinetic pearl starts over hooking to much.

but also still in my bag is my plastic ball and also my c300 freeze those 2 are for dry lanes mostly but i can throw my freeze on med oil it jsut dose not move as hard, soo it just depends on how you want the ball to mvoe agressive or smooth if u want agressive then u should go with a high performace ball like the hell raiser or defiant but if u want a smooth hook into the pocket then u should get the too reckless or reckless or another med performace ball maby even the sotrm frantic.

it all depends on how u want to throw the ball you should go to your local proshop and have him take a look at your bowling and see if he could sujest a good ball for you depends on how u want it to move.

bowl1820
08-12-2012, 06:35 PM
If your just looking for a new ball to go with what you have.

You could try a DV8 Marauder, it should make it through all three games.

billf
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
The signature on Bowl1820's posts says it all to me; it's not how much your ball hooks but where (and when). Speed, revs, tilt, rotation and style all play a part in that bowler's selection. A lot of newer bowlers (and those that don't learn as quickly as others) tend to use balls that are too aggressive for the pattern. The Marauder by DV8 with it's symmetrical core and polished finish would be a great ball on a house shot in most centers. It does have a nice angular backend to it also.

Hot_pocket
08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
would the Defiant edge be a good pick or one of the newer storm balls manic fringe? Bill or Bowl1820

RoccoRock
08-13-2012, 06:54 AM
what the overall best ball out there is for most easy house shots?

A round one :D Your style, and how you want to play the lanes matter a lot when choosing a ball. When I was a no thumb cranker, mid level balls, like my 607a were perfect. Now I have less revs with my thumb in, and I am more of a tweener, so I'm looking at something stronger, like a Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl. If you know, and trust your local pro shop guy, ask him what he thinks is the best ball for you.

bowl1820
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
would the Defiant edge be a good pick or one of the newer storm balls manic fringe? Bill or Bowl1820

The Defiant Edge is okay, the cover might need some tweaking depending on who throws it and if you have a slower speed.

The Fringe I think will be a little fiddly on the fresh/wet and the Manic is better suited for wet and will lose it as the lanes dry out.

billf
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Fringe. I prefer polished balls during league with all the people that screw up a pattern.

That's hard for me to answer. When my teammates are using their Defiant and Critical Theory I'm using the Reckless or Misfit and usually playing the same line. When that dries up I use urethane then hook plastic. It's only my opinion but I believe most bowlers use too aggressive a ball on house shots rather than learn how to control revs and axis rotation. Again, just my opinion, but performance and pro performance balls should be used only for sport patterns, not house shots.

vgw
08-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I would usually go for a mid-level, polished ball. For an easy house shot, just shoot it straight and let the lanes bring the ball into the pocket. It really depends on your style, arsenal and "easy" house shot conditions. Easy house shots have a pretty decent back end so you don't want something too aggressive if you don't need it.

Zothen
08-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I bowl at Matador Bowl(Northridge,Ca) and Missin Hills Bowl(Mission Hills,Ca) and I use a Defiant & Bullwhip SE to start and see which gives better reaction. I
am going to be getting a Roto Grip Beserk and hope that will work just as well as the Defiant. I find Symetric balls work better for me on THS and Asymmetric works better for me on Sport shots.

Zothen

The German Shepherd
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
The Crossroad would be a good choice considering the criteria you have laid out....

Jay

EboniteKid299
08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Yup, I agree I actually already drilled a Marauder up with a pin up I threw it on a Scorpion like pattern in my PBA league and shot 797 for 4 games, my first DV8 ball and the carry with it is incredible, it probably will be my main ball for house shots this year great piece.

Stormed1
08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm glad to see you came up with something to work for you. In reality there are too many variables to make accurate suggestions without knowing rev rate, axis rotation , ball speed, lane surface etc. Just using myself as an example the 3 centers i bowl in require far different equipment. One is on Pro-Anvilane and i can throw very aggressive equipment there. My other is on older Brunswick synthetics with more friction and requires more medium equipment with weaker drills. The third house which i sub in requires very weak equipment as it is wood and has a ton of friction, So without specs suggestions are just guesstimates

billf
08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Yup, I agree I actually already drilled a Marauder up with a pin up I threw it on a Scorpion like pattern in my PBA league and shot 797 for 4 games, my first DV8 ball and the carry with it is incredible, it probably will be my main ball for house shots this year great piece.

Now you're going to have to change your name to "MarauderKid"

wdc1987
08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
If your just really getting into bowling i would recommend a cyclone or the first freeze.

EboniteKid299
09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
haha nah, it's my first DV8 ball I just love ebonite products overall but it's really good i love how but energy it has downlane but it still isn't uncontrollable at times like my cyclone is

EboniteKid299
09-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Nah, I've been bowling since I was 3 and im 19 now, lol I have a cyclone already and it's pretty good for sure, I was just asking for everybody else's opinion on the subject and seeing what works best for most