PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR driver Hornish Jr. hosts charity event

onefrombills
10-31-2008, 09:05 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas - Sam Hornish Jr., along with a few other NASCAR drivers and celebrities from other sports, were on the lanes Thursday night raising money for charity.

The 4th Annual Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament was part of the NASCAR Dickies 500 race week at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. The event benefits the Speedway Children's Charities Texas Chapter.

The event started in 2001 when Hornish Jr. was driving in the Indy Racing League. With his move to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series this year, Hornish was unsure about what would happen to the celebrity bowling event. Texas Motor Speedway plays host to two NASCAR races each year and no one approached Hornish Jr. about hosting the event when he came to the track in April.

"I thought maybe they didn't want to do it anymore because I'm not a NASCAR star, I'm a rookie learning again," said Hornish Jr., a three-time Indy Racing League champion and winner of the 2006 Indianapolis 500. "So I said 'Hey, you guys think about doing the bowling event at all?" and they said they didn't think I would want to do it. And I told them, yeah, let's do it."

Held at the Brunswick Zone in Watauga, Texas, the event also featured a silent auction that included memorabilia from all the major sports. A USBC pin autographed by the celebrity bowlers went for $250. Former Team USA member Amanda Vermilyea competed in the event for the USBC.

Last year's event raised $124,000 for the Speedway Children's Charities Texas Chapter and has brought in more than $300,000 in its first three years. Speedway Children's Charities was founded by Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith with a focus on communities surrounding SMI speedways. SCC went national in 1982, and has grown to fund thousands of organizations nationwide that help children.

Team Texas High Performance Racing School, led by former pro bowler Ron Williams, edged a team from Stanley Tools in a roll-off for the tournament title.