PDA

View Full Version : Drilling an index finger hole !!

serial bowl
08-15-2012, 11:28 PM
I am thinking about adding an index finger hole to my ball, due to the fact that I have pretty bad arthritis in my hand. Are there any members out there who use this type of grip?

Ball99999
08-16-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure how that helps,
are you actually grabbing the ball with your fingers?

RoccoRock
08-16-2012, 06:53 AM
I bowl with a guy who uses a pinky hole. He has a bad wrist, he uses a brace and the pinly hole to help. Works great for him, he has the highest average in the league.

Hampe
08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
The only guy I've ever seen with that layout was a righty throwing backup. I wondered myself what it would be like to try and throw with 4 fingers instead of 3.

jimlc2001
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
No experience with that kind of layout. I'm worried about your track running over the possible index finger hole. If you do have a high right hand track, then I would not recommend it.

serial bowl
08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I was told to let the weight of the ball rest mainly on my fingers, and that would be easier for me if my index finger was bent. What is your definition of "grabbing the ball with your fingers"? If you don't apply some sort of pressure to the ball, how do you swing it? *

serial bowl
08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
I am left handed , and still working on my release mechanics, so my ball track is inconsistant at best, but I am working on it.

J Anderson
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
We used to have a guy in our league who had index and pinky holes. Basically he had injured his hand so many times in his 50+ years as a carpenter / builder that he needed to use all five fingers to pick up any thing heavier than a cup of coffee. This was back in the eighties and he was just throwing a straight ball at the pocket.

serial bowl
08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I can relate to that. I guess it's whatever works for you.

got_a_300
08-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Back years ago in the early 90's I tried the pinky hole but
it didn't really help anything not sure about the index hole
like jimlc2001 said it is possible that you would track right
over the hole.

Tampabaybob
08-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I am thinking about adding an index finger hole to my ball, due to the fact that I have pretty bad arthritis in my hand. Are there any members out there who use this type of grip?

A couple of seasons ago I shot a summer league and must have pulled a tendon in my ring finger. It hurt like hell and of course, not bowling, is not an option. I had seen the ads for steel fingers for years and never gave it much of a thought. Finally decided to try it. For 20 bucks, it's one of the best remedies you can find. Within 2-3 weeks, the pain was gone. I continued wearing it for a few months then finally put it in my bag. I have loaned it to others in my league and they've all bought them after trying it. I can't recommend it more highly....here's the link to their web site. http://www.steelfingers.com/

By the way I'm a senior that's been bowling for over 50 years and the arthritis is creeping into my body as well, so I know what you're feeling. It's worth a try and cheap at that. Try one and let me know if it helps.

Bob

billf
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm going to try these. Thanks Bob!

serial bowl
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you for the suggestion Bob. I was looking at the Mongoose Lifter, but the Steelfingers Plus might be just what I am looking for.

serial bowl
08-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Bill, You are going to need steel fingers, a steel wrist, a steel elbow, steel knees, and a steel back, for your Guinness record attempt. Good luck to you.

Fetus
08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I have a buddy that has used one for years. It doesn't change much other than the ball definitely feels lighter in your hand.

wdc1987
08-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I have seen one person do this before for the same reason. he ended doing away with the idea because it put more pressue on his hand and made the pain worse.