PDA

View Full Version : HRR with cracked bridge

billf
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Both of my DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge's have a cracked bridge (see pics). Here is a copy of the email I just sent DV8. Let you all know how I make out.

I purchased two Hell Raiser Revenge the day after they were released. The first cracked bridge appeared after only 7 frames. I took it back to the pro shop where I purchased all four of my DV8 balls, The Bowlers Store in Huber Heights, OH (937-235-3221) and the operator, Matt, said he would contact DV8 concerning possible warranty claim. This was some time in March. I have called a few times since with today being the latest. In March Matt said I could still use the ball and did so during this past summer's PBA experience league in my area. Now, as you can see in the picture, the ball is also cracking above the middle finger in an arc towards the bridge. Now my other Revenge also has a cracked bridge. I informed Matt of this today and was given the same old speech, he will talk to his sales rep and get back to me. He also stated this is a common problem with the Revenge as he has had at least seven crack at the bridge. I'm not holding my breath.
I purchased a Misfit, Reckless and the two Revenges to replace my previous Storm arsenal. I left Storm due to issues with their lack of customer service and after all I've done to push the DV8 brand to fellow bowlers I hope this doesn't have to happen again. I consistently recommend your company on various bowling forums, the leagues I bowl in and even to the people I coach. I even suggest to the local high school bowlers to at least give Brunswick and DV8 a try. I was disappointed enough to learn the balls are made in China rather than the USA. One reason I went with what I thought was a new company was the two year warranty. Manufacturer defects happen and they are a part of life and business, I understand and accept this fact.
I realize I may be considered a picky customer. After this issue is settled, I will no longer be using that pro shop. I have no use for a pro shop that after over a $1,000 in balls can't return a call within six months. I have also given up on the pro shops in my area as none of them ever checked or asked for my PAP before drilling a ball. Turns out driving 50 miles wasn't enough to get a professional job with professional service. I know none of this concerns you but I am tired of wasting my money on bowling equipment and shops just to be dissatisfied. Will I be satisfied with DV8?

Thank you,
Bill Freitas
(937)xxx-xxxx

billf
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Keep in ind, these balls have less than thirty games on them with the pin down having less than ten!

bowl1820
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
those are some of the most common cracks. Most ball companies say to keep the pin at least 1 inch from the fingerholes and use a 1/4" bridge to help prevent this.

A lot won't warranty the ball if you don't.

You can fill the bridge yourself with super glue, if your careful and take your time. (helps if you have some quick set spray). it makes like a clear plug.

I've done the crack to the pin the same way, i pulled the insert and dripped super glue into the crack and filled it.

As long as the crack goes from hole to pin it should stop.

billf
08-23-2012, 08:41 PM
So shouldn't the driller know this?

bowl1820
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
So shouldn't the driller know this?

Well you would think.

Not that following those guidelines guaranties it won't crack.

1/4" bridges still crack and as for the pin being close to the fingers, sometimes you just can't help it unless you change the layout. I've seen pins near holes that never get a crack.

The thing with your pro shop is they should have gave you a answer a lot faster about if they would replace it.

billf
08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Well this is the same guy that when I asked what my PAP was said, "It's probably around", after drilling the four balls! I would have assumed that when somebody calls up, orders over a grand in balls and gives specifics on lane type, ball reaction wanted with each ball, etc that he would have taken the time to get an accurate PAP. I even brought in a low flare ball with a good oil track on it for him to see. Turned out he never even looked at it.

striker12
08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
my HHR has not cracked yet and i have not like 150+ games on it still have to go a get it clenaed out jsut have not had the time and the layout ihave is from the brunswick layouts for maxium hook/arc (you can look in the nexxus layout page and its the first one).

i have had a few of the other bowling balls crack but not fully near the brige abit higher and they have about 1-2inchs pin away from my fingers both eather above below or off to the side.

and then my plastic ballw as the first time throwing it down the lane brand new and it cracked about 1/2inch above my fingers but i did not care it was just a plastic ball.

serial bowl
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Sorry Bill, but could that be the result of a cold ball hitting the pins? You said it was in the winter, and if that ball was in your trunk.....

The German Shepherd
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Well, DV8 makes a great deal over their no nonsense warranty policy. Let us know howww well they follow through. As for the "Pro" shop, move on. That guy doesn't deserve your business....

Jay

martinezsam2495
08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
good luck Bill,
but in reality it might take a bit longer than you expect, but since you put that you've purchased several of their products, that might put you on the fast seat to a reply. I've noticed this from several companies.

Stamps
08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
If my new ball cracked after just 7 frames I would lose my mind. Good luck Bill. I really hope they give you at the least a reply. This makes me think twice about DV8

Tokes
08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Good luck bill hopefully they have good customer service. You are the Dv8 guy, I know in real life when someone asked me about my Dv8 misfit I always said im not sure cause I am new but this guy bill on these forums I go to is all about them.

floridanative772
08-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Best of luck Bill, I hope that DV8 will go out of there way to rememdy the situation. I am keeping an eye on this to see how they take care of their customers as im about to pull the trigger on 3 of their balls.

martinezsam2495
08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Best of luck Bill, I hope that DV8 will go out of there way to rememdy the situation. I am keeping an eye on this to see how they take care of their customers as im about to pull the trigger on 3 of their balls.

which ball?
i'm going after the Reckless today :D

billf
08-24-2012, 08:32 PM
So I go out to my car during lunch today to check my phone and have a smoke (no cell phones allowed at work). Bill Orlikowski, product manager for Brunswick/DV8 left a voice mail. I called him back immediately. He answered on the second ring. Very nice man that gave me several options for handling the warranty including getting the pin position I want on the FREE replacements. One of the Revenge's is being replaced with a Revenge. The other is being replaced by a Terror. They offered me any combination of balls I wanted. He also asked me several questions about the pro shop and what others I have tried. Over all it was a great experience dealing with Bill Orlikowski/DV8. As far as DV8 goes; I AM TOTALLY SATISFIED!
Lo and behold, the pro shop called me at 3:15. According to his message he talked to his DV8 rep and gave me the same ball options as DV8 had earlier. Judging by the tone of his voice in the message, I assume someone from DV8 made sure they got a hold of Matt today.

So for this year we have DV8/Brunswick who is standing behind their product and Storm/Roto-Grip who never even replied to my e-mail. I know who will continue to get my business and who I willbe recommending to my clients, friends and fellow bowlers.

floridanative772
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
That is awesome to hear. The wife and I are going to the proshop tommorow to get my new balls and possibly one for her and feel even better about it now. Thank you Bill for sharing this.

striker12
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
thats good to hear bill im going to take my HHR up to the proshop in a week or soo to get checked i also talked to a few people and they sead even with the HHR or any ball with about 100+ games on it it should still hook decently and they sead from mine they have never seen a ball going from a big hook to small hook before soo im going to take the ball up and get it checked.

some people did say because i have alot of power that i could of maby cracked the core or the core has come loose i use to beable to throw it on fresh heavy oil and know i cna barly get it to hook on medium oil.

serial bowl
08-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Bill, I am happy for you. Don't forget to tell your clients, friends and fellow bowlers that it only took five months to find out that your balls will be covered under warranty. Don't you think you should give Storm/Rotogrip five months to get back to you also, before you sign off on them.

chrono00
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Bill, I am happy for you. Don't forget to tell your clients, friends and fellow bowlers that it only took five months to find out that your balls will be covered under warranty. Don't you think you should give Storm/Rotogrip five months to get back to you also, before you sign off on them.

from the story, it seems like it only took 5 months because he left it in the hands of the incompetant pro shop guy, who obviously never actually contacted dv8. i mean you sent them that email yourself, and got a call back in what, a day? and with the way they handled the situation i'd say they did a dam good job.

billf
08-24-2012, 11:18 PM

DV8 answered in less than 12 hours. The pro shop took all the time. Storm/Roto-Grip still hasn't answered 8 months later.

billf
08-24-2012, 11:25 PM
The Brunswick/DV8 area ball rep visits that pro shop once a week. The pro shop owner/operator obviously couldn't be bothered. He is actually an Ebonite international pro shop, not that it matters. The point is, he didn't care enough about my business (8 balls this year alone) or the business I WAS sending him (another 31 balls this year). I'm fairly certain I can find a pro shop that wants to sell and drill over forty balls a year never mind the bags, tape and other accessories the people I bring down there buy.

striker12
08-25-2012, 08:19 AM
yeah bill that sucks that happened here they closed the proshop here soo i had to look all over the internet for another proshop and it was a 1hr away i did not care new bowling ball i dont mind the hr drive and when i went i was the first person from my area to go there soo he gave me alot of business cards and i handed them out at both of the bowling allies and he has had alot of people from kingston know more then i can say he told me he has never had soo many people come to his proshop before.

and thats why i started to help out he was getting abit behind like 1 dya someone would bring in 3 bowling balls to get clened and want a new one too soo he sends out the order for the new one and in that little time period that hes waiting for that ball to come in a few other people want to get a new ball or there bowling balls cleaned up, he could barly do his job streght cause of alot of peoplejsut coming in and he dose not do it fast he takes his time to make it perfect,
soo know im there to help out soo when hes drilling a bowling ball im getting everything and everyone orders down on paper to rememebr whos gose to who helps him out cause its hard to be drilling a bowling ball and almost done and a ew people have just came in but thats wher ei come in i help them out by talking to them and finding out witch ball they should get most of the time im looki9ng in a book, they tell me something i look in the book its like the thing on rotgrip and storms website for picking a ball, but this with every brand sometimes we dont need the book cause we could sujest the freeze or something to them.

i go with this book makes it much easyer then aving to get the guy at the pro shop to help me out.

dgz924s
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Bill...I am curious about the coverstock thickness in your case. First the reason why. I have a Fast Pearl that had a crack across the bridge also then due to temperature change the thing just cracked in a massive way, looks more like a spiderweb than a ball. Now what gets me curious is once the ball shattered I could see the coverstock thickness was only about 1/4" or less. So I looked at all my other balls and noticed the thickness was much more, in the range of a 1/2" or better. This made me wonder if the lack of a good thick coverstock played a role in the ball shattering.

So I ask if the coverstocks on these two balls perhaps have a thin cover?

billf
08-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Sorry Bill, but could that be the result of a cold ball hitting the pins? You said it was in the winter, and if that ball was in your trunk.....
I purchased the balls, put them in their own bag, drove them 50 miles to my home center where they stayed only coming out for tournaments. Other than travel time these balls did NOT stay in my car. I did a tourny in March where I left balls (not these) in the trunk during the day but it was 60+ degrees out.

martinezsam2495
08-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I purchased the balls, put them in their own bag, drove them 50 miles to my home center where they stayed only coming out for tournaments. Other than travel time these balls did NOT stay in my car. I did a tourny in March where I left balls (not these) in the trunk during the day but it was 60+ degrees out.

Bill you didn't tell us that information, leaving your bowling balls in a trunk isn't a good thing because even it's only for a couple of hours, it gets hot in that enclosed space. Heat has been known to damage bowling balls and other products. That could be the reason of the damage, but the pins or the ball return must of finished it off with a crack.

billf
08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Sam, even when it was 100 degrees this summer my trunk never got above 70 which is well below the above 130 degrees needed to damage a ball. Yes, l keep a thermometer in my trunk lol

billf
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Now if I could only get the rest of the interior to stay that cool then I would have it made.

MICHAEL
08-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow,,, Storm still has not given you a reply!!! I was getting ready to get another new ball for my birthday! A ball that maybe would LOOK GREAT for any company! Look great in that I am going to bowl that first 300 game with their product! I have been sooooooo close!

I would have gone Storm, but since they have poor customer service, I will not go that way! Too bad, I always like to go American when I can! Always choose American Made when products when given a choice!

Since they, DV8, took Good care of your situation, I will now go with their product! What brand will Iceman bowl his first 300, 800 series with! I have had a 752… non sanctioned league! But then I just started bowling at 62, and will be 64 next month!

Bill thanks for the advice,,, looking forward to your impression of the dv8 terror!!

dgz924s
08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder if the drill bit used was dull which would create more heat. Coolant used to keep the boring from getting too hot. Either could cause a hairline fracture. The fracture is impossible to detect with the naked eye. And any temperature change or hitting something hard/metallic in the pit could have brought the fracture to expand.

I have actually entertained the idea of taking my ball to the automotive machine shop to run it through a magnaflow test to look for a fracture!

billf
08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I wonder if the drill bit used was dull which would create more heat. Coolant used to keep the boring from getting too hot. Either could cause a hairline fracture. The fracture is impossible to detect with the naked eye. And any temperature change or hitting something hard/metallic in the pit could have brought the fracture to expand.

I have actually entertained the idea of taking my ball to the automotive machine shop to run it through a magnaflow test to look for a fracture!

I could just see the look on my boss' face if I flow tested my bowling balls. I like the idea though.

martinezsam2495
08-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Sam, even when it was 100 degrees this summer my trunk never got above 70 which is well below the above 130 degrees needed to damage a ball. Yes, l keep a thermometer in my trunk lol

haha why do you have a thermometer in your trunk?
Then if it wasn't the weather, there is high possibility it was defective.

billf
08-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I actually put the thermometer in there after I went in the trunk one day and noticed how cool it was in there. After monitoring it for several weeks I felt comfortable leaving my extra balls in there during tournaments.
Plus, if it was weather, what would the chances be that both balls would crack in the same place even with different pin positions? DV8 never questioned it but said I was the first they know of to have two crack the bridge. The way it was stated gave me the impression that there is/was a known issue with some of the cover stocks on the Revenge.

billf
08-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Had an e-mail today with my tracking number. Expected delivery date is Wednesday! That means that in less than a week I e-mailed DV8 and will have new balls in hand with the pin distance and top weight of my choosing.

Stormed1
08-27-2012, 11:55 PM
It could also be from lateral pitches in the fingers. If the meet at the bottom of the hole it weakens the bridge and also to the best of my knowledge voids the warranty. Since your pro shop is not getting you answers send an email to customer service at DV8 along with your pics. Thwy should get back to you pretty quickly

chrono00
08-28-2012, 02:10 AM
It could also be from lateral pitches in the fingers. If the meet at the bottom of the hole it weakens the bridge and also to the best of my knowledge voids the warranty. Since your pro shop is not getting you answers send an email to customer service at DV8 along with your pics. Thwy should get back to you pretty quickly

....this whole thread was started with his email to DV8...and soon updated about the response he got that seemed to be very good customer service.

but back to the pitch of the fingers. I had my virtual energy drilled by my friend. his dad has a drill, with a bit of his assistance, my ball was the first one he drilled. well he accidentally drilled the two finger wholes so that at the bottom the had a slight collapse. I sort of expected there could be a problem from it with cracking ect. but thankfully I haven't had any problems with the ball because of it. and this is after about 200 games on the ball. so I guess i've lucked out to some degree.

Cuda K5
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I just purchased a new revenge on saturday. Hopefully I don't have any problems. maybe i should stop leaving my balls in the trunk when it's 120* here lol

striker12
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
i msged lane#1 on sunday night and they msg me back on monday it is about my lane#1 g-force evoution cause something si wrong with it know all i have to do is record a video on me throwing it with another ball and my plstic bal cause i can get my plastic ball to hook more then my lane#1 ball and ocne i send in the video they are going to try to figure out what is wrong with it.

billf
08-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Received both of my NEW, FREE under WARRANTY balls via UPS today just as Brunswick/DV8 promised. Terror with a 5" pin and a Revenge with a 4" pin. Plus the towels and stickers ;)
Being a consumer would be wonderful if all companies had customer service as great as this experience has been with Brunswick/DV8! If Storm/Roto-Grip had given me a fraction of this service I would still be using their stuff today. Storm's loss has been my gain as I love my Brunswick and DV8 equipment!!!!!!!

striker12
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM
thats good to hear bill tell us how the terror works out

serial bowl
08-30-2012, 12:44 AM
That's great news Bill. Good luck with the new equipment !!

AngeloPD
08-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Great to hear Bill, how about a video of you throwing the terror? :)

eugene02
08-30-2012, 04:32 AM
woot woot bill! never regretted having my revenge! hope it doesn't crack too.. or else.. gonna have to talk to them.. wew!! means you have ur revenge replaced with a terror.. SAVE YOU THE MONEY ON THE TERROR!

billf
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Had the new Revenge and Terror drilled today. The pro shop driller let me lay out the balls myself and he checked them. I even used an Armadillo and checked my PAP with a ball I resurfaced and used last night with the oil track marked. These balls were done specifically for the new release I've been working on. I did the lay out to the point of marking the thumb and grips. Too important so I left that to him. I bowled 12 games with them afterwards and am very pleased. The Revenge is, of course, a beast in oil. With the Terror I now have my new favorite ball. I played from the 5 board to the 35 with it and absolutely loved the reaction. Having these balls layed out based on my real PAP has made a huge difference in versatility. I went to record it but didn't have the memory card in the camcorder. Turns out it was in the car but I forgot. Maybe tomorrow. After 9 hours at the bowling alley today I don't know how the wife will react to me going again tomorrow.

I also met a young lady that is taking bowling as an elective in college. It doesn't count towards GPA but does count towards credit hours to qualify as full time. Another prospective client :)

striker12
09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
nice job bill im thinking of getting the hell raiser terror on the 20th of sept i will have enoph money on me to buy like the hole DV8 lineup 3 times maby more soo i will get one of those the frantic and maby another ball.

also i had a nice offer for my ebonite nitro blue/gold i took it too the guy is colection the ebonite balls and he ahs been looking for the ebonite nitro blue/gold not drilled for awhile and when i sead i had one he offered me $200 for it deal there i only payed $50 for it $150 profit in my pocket and money to go towards getting my stuff fixed.

floridanative772
09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
That is awesome that this whole situation has turned out that you got another revenge and a ball that you are in love with. Enjoy the terror and hope it works out for you

got_a_300
09-05-2012, 07:26 AM
I noticed last night my original Hellraiser is cracking across the pin and
I can feel a little ridge on one side between the ball and the pin but I'm
not sure if it is anything to worry about just yet or not. I didn't have my
camera or phone with me last night so I wasn't able to take any pics of
it maybe this evening or tomorrow I'll get a pic or two to post and get a
few opinions on it before I contact DV8 about it.

Davec13
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I can throw in a DV8 story of my own. Towards the end of last season I was thinking about getting a DV8 ball, I decided to go around to the local pro shops and see what they had in stock. I was met with a lot of negative comments about DV8, everything from you don't want a POS brunswick ball to we wouldn't waste shelf space on those balls. These shops didn't have a problem offering me roto,storm, ebonite balls though and they told about about how much better of a product these balls were. I emailed DV8 asking if they had a pro shop recommendation that was local and explain the situation I was encountering. They really didn't have anything local to me and recommended ordering online. The best part though they send me out a little goodie bag for all my troubles trying to buy their product. Just like the OP though all email responses were very fast, friendly, and professional. Way above and beyond anything I expected.

The only problem I have now is trying to justify to the wife why I "need" another new ball. Halloween seems like a good idea to pitch for that sweet looking zombie spare ball.

billf
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I always go with, "but today ends in 'Y', that's why I need it. The wife gets just about anything she wants so she doesn't question me too much about work or bowling. Thankfully.

Davec13
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Mine gets whatever she wants too. A happy wife = a happy life. Supposedly though I have to many hobbies, or so I've been told. Besides bowling (3 nights a week), I have a huge collection of 80's toys (not enough to be on that syfy show),Vintage video game consoles, and a working arcade in the house (still working on getting a shuffle bowler). So my fun money gets spread kind of thin this time of year.

AngeloPD
09-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Wow Dave you must be earning a Ton of money to buy all those stuff.

Davec13
09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
You would think so, but it all comes down to budgeting and waiting for deals. Almost all of my arcade has been purchased broken and then I get them back into working order. I think I enjoy fixing them more than playing them. For example I had a virtual fighter game given to me for free non working, after some playing around I found out the power supply was shot. I bought a replacement power supply online for $25 and now the game is fully functional. I bought a zaxxon non working for $25 and it needed a $.50 fuse. My Mortal Kombat II was bought at a local auction for $40 non working and the only thing wrong was the three way kill switch was off. I was given a skeeball machine because the owner just didn't have room for it. I have a foose ball and pool table that were picked up off the side of the road on trash day. Some elbow grease to clean them up and they are good as new.

My vintage video game console and toy collection is the same way. Most of the systems/toys were mine growing up that were saved, the others were picked up and random garage sales, flea markets, auctions, ect. It all comes down to finding the deals. I'm not saying I haven't splurged on some items I really wanted, but I try and keep a strict budget for all my fun stuff. That is the reason buying a few new balls each season always earns me that look.