PDA

View Full Version : Shoes do they really matter?

itstyler
08-25-2012, 01:34 AM
do the type of shoes you use actually make a difference? I am on the market for new shoes and to tell you the truth I don't keep mine in the best of conditions. And what shoe should I get?

snugbucco
08-25-2012, 02:31 AM
I just got a pair of dexter's - Jason III they were like 30 40 bucks and they look pretty stylish :) and are really comfortable.. I suggest because of the price and you said you dont keep em in the best condition..

Keithalw
08-25-2012, 07:15 AM
http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-shoes/Pyramid/10113/Men-s-Skull-Black-Green.html#!prettyPhoto

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-shoes/Etonic/8723/Mens-Sport-Smoking-Skull.html

I like these by looks lol...

snugbucco
08-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Oh my goodness those green ones are so loud! haha I kinda dig the looks of the black and white ones though.. :cool:

bowl1820
08-25-2012, 10:02 AM
do the type of shoes you use actually make a difference?
They can.
Shoes with a slide sole on one shoe and a traction sole on the other. The traction sole improves your power step (the next-to-last step) which adds to your body's momentum. Which gives your swing more impetus and thus improves leverage.

I am on the market for new shoes and to tell you the truth I don't keep mine in the best of conditions. And what shoe should I get?

Look for shoes that have a slide sole and a traction sole. (They don't have to be the ones with interchangable soles)

here's a example someone posted in another thread.
http://www.bowling.com/products/linds-mens-new-era-john-right-hand.htm

http://images.bowling.com/main/7055.jpg

Keithalw
08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
there loud but I likes them

serial bowl
08-25-2012, 11:20 PM
They are nice if you are right handed!

kurowah
08-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Or maybe it is time to change your style to right handed?? ;)

I've been looking to get shoes too. I have been just borrowing. Had no idea that there were left handed and right handed shoes.

itstyler
08-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you bowl1820 i will keep that in mind. any kind you really recommend. and what is the difference between 50 dollar and 100 dollar shoes?

bowl1820
08-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you bowl1820 i will keep that in mind. any kind you really recommend. and what is the difference between 50 dollar and 100 dollar shoes?

Dexters and Etonics are good, as for a particular model I cant say. I'm using Dexter SST 7's myself, if I had to replace them I think I'd go to the SST 8's.
I liked the Dexters back when I first got them, because they were a little wider and I felt more stable.

itstyler
08-28-2012, 03:32 AM
I have a pair of dexters. i just didnt know if it made a difference. i understand the sliding. i need to look more into it. i saw the sst'7s and they looked really nice. so i will have to see what i do with this.

J Anderson
08-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Not being a shoe manufacturer and not knowing what the prices are in your area I can only give a general answer.

The least expensive shoes are like the ones that you rent from the bowling center. Both shoes have slide soles. They are great for ambidextrous bowlers who can't make up their minds which hand to use, and fine for bowlers who just like to go and throw a few games now and then.
The next range is for pairs where one shoe has a slide sole and the other has a traction sole. These are good for the majority of league bowlers who bowl 95% of their games at the same center. The exceptions would be if the center is poorly maintained and you never know if the approaches will be sticky or slick.
The top of the lines are the shoes with interchangeable soles. Some only allow you to adjust the amount of friction on the slide shoe. Others, like Dexter SST8s, let you adjust the traction shoe as well. These are really useful for serious bowlers bowl at many different centers.
Personally, I use a cheap pair for practice and warm ups so I can alternate right-handed and left-handed. Then I switch to the SST8s for the games that count.

itstyler
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
thanks john. thats actually a good idea and i will look into it.

wdc1987
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I had a pair of the Dexter sst 5 and they were good shoes for a little while. I like the sst8!

tccstudent
12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
I would suggest interchangeable soles for two reasons one approaches are different from house to house if you are bowling somewhere with a tackier approach then you can just slap a different sole on and your good to go and 2 if you step in something wet you can just switch the soles out and clean the sole later
I wear Dexter SST 8's and have had these shoes for 5 years I just buy replacement soles and heels about once a year. The shoes have held up very well and look like they will last a lot longer.

Aslan
12-27-2013, 01:34 AM
if you are bowling somewhere with a tackier approach then you can just slap a different sole on and your good to go and 2 if you step in something wet you can just switch the soles out and clean the sole later

Or just powder the sole.

I bought 3 pairs of shoes on Ebay. My Brunswick Hawks were very comfortable. The Dexters (white, Ricky II) I'm wearing now are a little tight…but are fine. And I have another pair of Ricky IIs in my closet that are black but I haven't tried them yet. The white Ricky IIs I have right now are a 9.5 2W and seem tight. So I bought a pair of size 10…but they are 10M (medium). So we'll see if the width is okay.

I can get barely worn bowling shoes on Ebay for like $17-$29 shipped…I can't see spending $75-$200 for a pair of bowling shoes. I haven't noticed much difference in "performance" from shoe to shoe…just fit/comfort. The Ricky/Ricky II/Ricky III shoes are sort of an industry standard and fairly inexpensive even new. But I liked the Brunswick Hawks a little better…just seemed higher quality and more comfortable.

Aslan
12-27-2013, 01:36 AM
But I do recommend to every bowler at the beginner to early intermediate level to get shoes. Whether on Ebay or whatever…you can save SO much CASH if you have your own shoes. They pay for themselves almost immediately.

tccstudent
12-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Or just powder the sole.

Doing this gets powder on the approach and affects the other bowlers and this is not legal to do. What you can do is use cigarette ashes (old skool) this works as good as powder but does not affect the other bowlers or soapstone

bowl1820
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Doing this gets powder on the approach and affects the other bowlers and this is not legal to do. What you can do is use cigarette ashes (old skool) this works as good as powder but does not affect the other bowlers or soapstone

Cigarette ashes are a "foreign substance" and not necessarily legal either. (Plus with so many places banning smoking inside having a ready supply would be difficult)

The Rule:
Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced
The application of any foreign substance on any part of the approach that detracts from the possibility
of other players having normal conditions is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, talcum
powder, pumice and resin on shoes, and/or soft rubber soles or heels that rub off on the approach.

Now Powder if used properly can be used and not get on the approach.

(Put the powder on the sole, rub around. Then brush it off with a wire brush, then tap sole on the floor to shake of any remaining residue.)

a safe legal option is a bowlers sock.

tccstudent
12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
We had a guy in one of my league who would just pour powder on the floor and step in it right before he got up on the approach. He got chewed out and was forced to quit doing that after someone got hurt after slipping on the approach.
While cigarette ashes are a foreign substance I have been told they do not alter the approaches.
In my experience most people don't brush the powder into their soles and are therefore using the powder illegally
About the only time I use powder is if I step in something wet to quickly dry them out

bowl1820
12-27-2013, 06:31 PM
We had a guy in one of my league who would just pour powder on the floor and step in it right before he got up on the approach. He got chewed out and was forced to quit doing that after someone got hurt after slipping on the approach.
Yes, that would be a example of someone using it improperly And why they really started enforcing the rule.

While cigarette ashes are a foreign substance I have been told they do not alter the approaches.
Even cigarette ashes, if you get enough of them built up on the approach can affect someones slide.

In my experience most people don't brush the powder into their soles and are therefore using the powder illegally
Yes most people overuse and/or don't use slide powders properly. That's what causes problems.

One thing to note using easy slide is not technically illegal, it's the getting it on the approach that is illegal. (Unless you have a league/tournament rule banning it all together.)

About the only time I use powder is if I step in something wet to quickly dry them out

That's why every one needs shoe covers, they are cheap and save on a whole lot of headaches.

tccstudent
12-27-2013, 07:46 PM
That's why every one needs shoe covers, they are cheap and save on a whole lot of headaches.

I wear size 16 so most dont fit and I really dont like them Yes my shoes came with a pair but that was over 6 years ago and I dont have a clue where they are

Aslan
12-28-2013, 12:42 AM

I meant what Bowl1820 described. You get a wet spot…you slap some ultra glide powder on the sole and rub it in. rub you shoe a bit. Then you're golden. Pouring anything on the approach I would think, if not completely illegal, would be greatly frowned upon.

josh83
12-17-2014, 09:20 PM
I have these there very comfortable and about $50

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-shoes/dexter/9472/mens-pro-am-ii-right-handed.html

MICHAEL
12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
I bowled my first two years in sandals! (open toed sandals), had some great games, and series,,, 298, 290 even a 700 plus. I have a doctors excuse, neuropathy. Iceman did alright without shoes! I can now wear them, a little uncomfortable, but I wear them just to keep everyone happy, and not looking at my fricken feet!

ARE SHOES IMPORTANT,,, to mere mortals I imagine so!

Aslan
12-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Oooo...the great IceGod got sucked into a zombie thread!