PDA

View Full Version : First league play using new ball

Peri
08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Well I bowled my first league game using my new ball (Hammer Nail Smoke and Fire). It is a no-tap league and very fun. My no-tap average is 140, and I bowled a 165, a 144 and a 203. I was a bit worried as I did just horrible after picking it up and bowled some practice games. Part of the problem I think was the hubby and son each giving me directions and usually they were totally opposite of the other. Anyway, I blocked out their well meaning voices and concentrated on something I read here on the forums, can't remember which one, but it really stressed paying attention to where you stood and it standing on the same board each time. When I found where to stand to hit my mark for the lane conditions I did pretty good - of course I still miss my mark at times - but paying attention to where I was standing really did seem to help. Thanks to all who take the time to post tips like this for beginners like me to read :)

billf
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Congratulations, very good day!

Zothen
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Heres a tip to improve hitting your mark. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a roll of blue painters tape. When you go to practice,put a piece of painters tape on the lanes where your mark is(Example I put tape on 8 board) and try to throw your ball over the tape. This method worked for me and I believe it can work for you as well.

Good luck & good scoring!

Zothen

J Anderson
08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Heres a tip to improve hitting your mark. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a roll of blue painters tape. When you go to practice,put a piece of painters tape on the lanes where your mark is(Example I put tape on 8 board) and try to throw your ball over the tape. This method worked for me and I believe it can work for you as well.

Good luck & good scoring!

Zothen

You should probably ask the manager for permission before sticking anything to the lane, unless you have a high tolerance for being yelled at. Most of the people working the counter are trained to yell at anyone who is not a fellow employee walking past the foul line.

They don't yell at me. I'm not sure if its because I look like I know what I'm doing, or they figure I wouldn't hear them anyway.

Baroncad
08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Instead of putting down ANYTHING that could leave a sticky residue (even painter's tape) find the "dot" on the approach,closest to your "mark" board and follow it up the lane. Example 2nd dot on the right and two boards left of that "dot".

billf
08-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Instead of putting down ANYTHING that could leave a sticky residue (even painter's tape) find the "dot" on the approach,closest to your "mark" board and follow it up the lane. Example 2nd dot on the right and two boards left of that "dot".

Only one problem with that...anybody who has or will use the 3-point targeting system will need to hit marks from the foul line to the pin deck. Low residue products have been a staple of coaches for years. I like using a laser pointer myself but my arm gets tired lol

Tampabaybob
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Well I bowled my first league game using my new ball (Hammer Nail Smoke and Fire). It is a no-tap league and very fun. My no-tap average is 140, and I bowled a 165, a 144 and a 203. I was a bit worried as I did just horrible after picking it up and bowled some practice games. Part of the problem I think was the hubby and son each giving me directions and usually they were totally opposite of the other. Anyway, I blocked out their well meaning voices and concentrated on something I read here on the forums, can't remember which one, but it really stressed paying attention to where you stood and it standing on the same board each time. When I found where to stand to hit my mark for the lane conditions I did pretty good - of course I still miss my mark at times - but paying attention to where I was standing really did seem to help. Thanks to all who take the time to post tips like this for beginners like me to read :)

Peri, good that you were able to block out the conflicting advice. It's bad enough when you're trying to learn or figure something out, but to have two different views on what you should do is terrible. A couple pieces of advice that may help you....before you start, focus on your target (an arrow, dot, or a board you're trying to hit) and from the second you start your first step "do not blink your eyes" until after you release the ball. This will improve your accuracy dramatically. Also, when you swing your arm, let your arm point straight down the boards. Use them as an alignment tool to help keep you arm in alignment. If you notice your ball is going to the left of your intended target (assuming you are right handed, opposite if you're a lefty) you're probably lifting your eyes off of your target a split second "before" you release your ball. Your hand will ALWAYS follow your eyes, so make doubly sure that you watch your ball roll over you spot.

When you start beating your "coaches" don't tell them about these tips. (LOL) Let'em figure it out for themselves and enjoy beating them !!

Bob