PDA

View Full Version : Need Ball Selection Help

KID A
08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Quick Background: I am a 168 average, right handed, lots of revs, slow speed (13-14mph average) bowler.

So here’s the scoop. I had a 13 pound Big Blue Pearl (pearl coverstock with a gasmask core) a few years ago and I loved it. It had a nice straight line through the early part of the lane, and then it had a very strong backend that went right into the pocket. It would just store up all the revs and then crush the pocket late, it was awesome. I could stand just to the left of center and throw the ball between the 3 and 2 arrows (I’m right handed) and the ball would hit the pocket. Unfortunately that ball got a huge crack in it and I had to get a new one.

The guys at a local pro shop steered me towards a Hammer Arson. This ball does not have the same motion through the lane that I was used to with the Big Blue, so now I am struggling to hit the pocket. If I throw the same as I used to with my Big Blue the ball ends up way left and usually misses the head pin altogether. To hit the pocket I have to stand way left, walking into the 2nd dot and throw the ball way way outside. This ball just plays way too much of the lane for me. I just don’t like throwing such an extreme angle towards the gutter as I feel I am less consistent when I throw this way.

So, I am looking at a new ball again trying to find something that has a similar line as the Big Blue with the same strong back end. I have been recommended the Hammer Nail, the Hammer Vibe, and a Storm Tropical Breeze. The pro at another shop is recommending the Breeze, but I am concerned that it will weaken my hook to the point where I am not getting the entry angle I want. The other pro I have talked to recommends the Hammers, but I am concerned with those as the Diff is the same on a 13lb ball as it is on the Arson I currently roll with.

I know this is a lot of information to go through, but can anyone give me some advice here? I don't know a ton about the Diff and how much impact that really has, so any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to buy another ball and end up regretting it.

Thanks!

J Anderson
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised they didn't suggest the Arson Pearl since you were replacing a pearl ball. Judging by the 'Perfect Score' numbers it would still be a little stronger than your old ball. None of the suggested balls look any where near as strong as the Big Blue Pearl.

KID A
08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
That's what I was sort of thinking too J. The guys at the pro shops seem to put a lot of value in the Diff number. My Arson has a Diff of .055 and the Nail and the Vibe have the same Diff, that seems to worry the guys at the shop. I am wondering if he is placing too much value on the Diff without thinking about the coverstock.

I do worry that the Arson Pearl would still be too much for my style of throw.

martinezsam2495
08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
why don't you look at other manufacturers like, DV8?

KID A
08-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I briefly looked at the DV8 balls and all of them seemed to be overly aggressive. On bowlingball.com all the DV8 balls have a "perfect scale" equal to or greater than the Arson that I am currently struggling with. That concerns me. I also just have a tendency towards Hammers for some reason. I like them generally.

billf
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
All the info I can find on the Hammer Blue Pearl says it was a urethane ball. If that's the case then all the reactive resin balls they are all suggesting would be much, much stronger.
I would suggest the Hammer Midnight Vibe. It's reactive resin but not nearly as strong as many others. It's also advertised as having "Deadly Backend Move". Symmetrical core, polished cover and a very reasonable price through bowlingball.com of $83.99

I'm a huge DV8 guy but would not suggest one for you at this point. As your research has shown, they are extremely aggressive but can be tamed ;)

bowl1820
08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
All the info I can find on the Hammer Blue Pearl says it was a urethane ball.

The Big Blue Pearl is Asymmetrical core Particle Pearl. Close to that in today's balls would be a Lane Master's High Standard though it has a symmetrical core.

KID A
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
bowl1820 is right, it had a particle pearl cover. Although I have been recommended the Grape Vibe by one of the pro shop guys.

I am definitely leaning towards the Hammer Nail right now, but I need to go and have the pro watch me throw to see if he would recommend it.

Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate it. If anyone has any more input, I'd be happy to hear it!