PDA

View Full Version : bowling ball suggestions for the wife

floridanative772
08-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Im sure this is probably been posted before but my wife has taken interest in bowling as im rekindling my love for the sport. She has a older plastic ball and is probably a 120 average bowler. She never bowled on leagues or anything competitive but was a regular bowler. Whats some good balls out there to start her off with, she throws a 10 pound but is wanting to go up to 12.

eugene02
08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
first of all, is she into hook or still continuing throwing straight? any specific brands she's looking for? for me, when i first bought a bowling ball its because of the color itself.. not really into how much it hooks blah blah.. but i got a rather high end ball which wasn't really what i would recommend now.. would rather start on a lower hook rating ball to build up the foundation :)

floridanative772
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
She throws straight but would like to learn to hook. Shes not really looking at any brands, mainly colors lol. I was looking at the storm polar ice. It is urethane and was thinking it may be a good ball to start with.

eugene02
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
urethane balls would be like house balls.. which I personally don't really like to be used as a first ball to learn to hook as it hooks little in medium to heavy oil lanes.. i would recommend at least the DV8 Misft or even the DV8 Reckless/Too Reckless.

floridanative772
08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
That is a good point, i guess i was under the impression that starting her off with a ball like a misfit may be too much for her.

Zothen
08-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Start her off with a Slingshot! The Misfit from what i've been told will hook! Urethane balls are made for dry-very dry lanes. I would suggest talking to your local pro shop,but,I think he'll recommend the Slingshot or possibly the Cyclone.

Good luck with whatever ball you get!

Zothen

floridanative772
08-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I didnt even think about the Slingshot, that looks perfect. I actually seen one at the proshop when I was getting my Defiant. I figured they were plastic. Well im gonna see if they got a 12 pounder tommorow when im up there. Thanks Zothen

bayedup84
10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
yes sir, go with the slingshot she will be happy with that, especially if you get it for her

75lockwood
10-05-2012, 09:21 PM
The one thing to remember here when going for a hook ball is at 12lb the core is no longer what is shown for the 13-16lb balls, it is more generic to compensate for the weight difference, so any 12lb ball you get will hook differently (normally less) than the same ball of a higher weight, so looking at a ball like the misfit, you make think that it would hook to much but in the 12lb verity it may be perfect.

Question: are you planning on setting her up with finger grips or just drill the ball to fit her hand?

Greenday
10-06-2012, 12:08 AM
urethane balls would be like house balls.. which I personally don't really like to be used as a first ball to learn to hook as it hooks little in medium to heavy oil lanes.. i would recommend at least the DV8 Misft or even the DV8 Reckless/Too Reckless.

Is she going to be bowling a lot on heavy oil though? My first non-plastic ball was polyurethane and is what I learned to hook with. It worked on most lanes that I bowled on.

Davec13
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
The one thing to remember here when going for a hook ball is at 12lb the core is no longer what is shown for the 13-16lb balls, it is more generic to compensate for the weight difference, so any 12lb ball you get will hook differently (normally less) than the same ball of a higher weight, so looking at a ball like the misfit, you make think that it would hook to much but in the 12lb verity it may be perfect.

There are a few companies that offer full size cores in their 12lb balls. I'm pretty sure lane #1, MoRich, Track, and even Storm have full size cores. There may be others.

MICHAEL
10-07-2012, 02:36 PM
My wife started out with a Cyclone!!! worked great for a start,,, then Manic,,,, and now Fire Road,,,, she has went from a 145 bowler,,,, to a 164/180 bowler,,,, she also went to the VISE Thumb twist in!! She is now bowling GREAT!! I think she will have her first 600 series soon! She had a 578 just last week!!! The right equipment, can make a big differance!!! She now has 4 balls she takes to league!! ( And knows how to use each)!