PDA

View Full Version : Newbie talks Layout

drsamraza
09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Hello Guys.

I reside in a country where bowling is in budding stages of life. People Bowl without having a clue as to what Bowling is all about. Let me paint the picture. Biggest city of the country, population 18 million, Bowling Alleys = 3, Combined number of Bowling Lanes = 28 (Yes 28 lanes spread over 3 Bowling centers). Lane Conditions. What lane conditions? Pro-Shop = 0 (Yep. That's right, NO PROSHOP, we buy balls from a "guy who sells balls"), and so on and so forth.

So I live there. (Horrified yet?) and I used to go to alley once or twice a week for fun, pick up any ball (Weight? What weight?) throw it down the lane, end up usually in gutter, but when lucky, I even knocked all 8 pins out of 10 once. But that is not true, I have thrown A strike also (Yep. That's right).

So that was me. "Was Me" because I decided that people who stink this much should be arrested if seen with a bowling ball. I didn't want to get arrested, so, I started learning from books (downloaded Bowling for Dummies, and Ultimate Bowling Guide, couldn't find one at the book store). That is kinda funny. I asked the man to get me a good book on Bowling and he gave me a guide for Cricket Players. I smiled and tried to explain bowling to him, and at the end of half hour, I came out screaming and pulling my hair.

So I read the books. Then I got onto Internet and YouTube and searched for Bowling Tips. Luckily, I found a lot. From Richard Shockley, Norm Duke, Dick Webber, Borden and Jerry Edward, Parker Bohn III, WRW Jr. and so many more. I watched them over and over and finally the bowling started to become understandable to me. I knew the lanes, the patterns, the cover-stocks, the Core and so on.

I applied the knowledge I gained to my bowling, but the problem was that all the House Balls were Polyester (as they all are), so none hooked too much or even slight some times. I did not have a clue as to what my style would do to Resen or Urethane balls (I still don't know), but I know this (now get a load of this from a guy who used to score 89-90 and was happy) I stand at 22, lay down around 16, target ove 11-9, and my intended break point is from 7 out to 5. I believe I should practice this for a while until my Urethane ball (Most lanes are dry to medium oil, how many units of oil? even the owner doesn't know. Ha) arrives.

My quest for balls (Bowling Balls that is) started and I finally selected 3 Balls for myself and ordered on the internet. Hopefully, by the end of this month, they'll arrive (Oh! How I am longing for that day to come, fingers are crossed, and people are even hired to "Knock on Wood" LoL).

OK, all kidding aside, here are my chosen balls.

1: Blue Hammer Remake by Hammer (for dryer lanes)
2: Chainsaw S.O.S. from Lane # 1 (for a little more oilier lanes), and
3: Hammer AXE for 7 and 10 pins

Here is the problem I am facing though. Since there are no serious Bowlers here, there is no Professional Ball Driller. I want to Drill Blue Hammer with Plastic Ball Layout, but how do I do that or explain it to someone else is beyond me for now.

Can someone explain in simple terms (Not in terms of PAP, GC, Axis Tilt or Rotation etc. The guy who drills balls, was carpenter 2 years ago, he doesn't have a clue) how the ball should be drilled, if at all, with little margin of error?

Can someone help?

By the way, my average with even a Polyester ball (may be because the lanes are mostly dry) is now 150-158 (Hip Hip Hooray)

bowl1820
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Can someone explain in simple terms (Not in terms of PAP, GC, Axis Tilt or Rotation etc. The guy who drills balls, was carpenter 2 years ago, he doesn't have a clue) how the ball should be drilled, if at all, with little margin of error?

Given the restriction's the simplest thing would be to take the drill sheet (The sheet with suggested layouts) that comes with the ball. Pick out one and say copy or do that.
You can go to the company websites and down load the drill sheet for those ball if you want to get a start.

Baroncad
09-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Can someone help?

I am thinking your going to want the ball drill for your hand? If so the "driller" is going to need to measure your hand, then will need to "accurately" put those measurements on to the ball. Find a manual on how to drill a bowling ball, if there is one out in cyber-land. From watching my driller there was a few things he took into consideration before he drilled, (top weight, side weight of the ball) then to a drill sheet, and other things. Hopefully, you can get some input and get your "new" ball drilled well.

billf
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
What country are you in?
Hand/finger flexibility are factors experienced drillers take into consideration. Without pitch gauges, thumb/finger size or a pro sect to do the actual layout, I'm not sure how well it will turn out for you. Maybe there's a way we can get a cast of your hand and get the specs for you? I know that's too time consuming for now but maybe for future balls?

drsamraza
09-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys a lot. All these suggestions are worthy of giving a try, but I like Biff's more, as it has potential and future ease also. Yes, it will be cumbersome to get my hand cast to you buddy, but it will solve a lot of problem now and may be in future.

Now the question is, how? How am I going to get my hand cast from point A (me) to point B (you)?

Can I scan my hand with Scanner and send you the image? I can keep the resolution to 1:1 so it will tell you exact measurement of my hand from scanned image.

Any suggestion will be grately appreciated.

Thanks again guys. Bowlers Rock.

bowl1820
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
A cast of the hand? A scan of it? That's not going to work.

For a finger tip ball:
On bowlingchat.net they have what they call the wiki fit system which is meant to give you a good base fit. It's a system of instructions that will let you measure your span and finger/thumb pitches yourself.

All you basically would need is a houseball, a flexible ruler (a pro-sect/quarter scale would be better), a grease pencil and a soda can.

Of course you would need someone who knows how to put the measurements on the ball and drill it. A possible option would also be a online drilling service.

There is a do it yourself option for drilling if you can afford it. The KMT personal ball jig
See here
http://kmtballjig.com/

If you would tell us the city and country your in, we may be able to direct you a place you could have it done. We have several members from the Asian area.

drsamraza
09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
If you would tell us the city and country your in, we may be able to direct you a place you could have it done. We have several members from the Asian area.

I am from Karachi, Pakistan. I would be surprised if you could find me someone here, but, what do I know, being new to this. I will also be thankful for this advice.

There is a do it yourself option for drilling if you can afford it. The KMT personal ball jig
See here
http://kmtballjig.com/

I have seen that, and also some videos about DIY drilling, but the main problem is PAP, which I believe is very important, Axis Tilt and Axis rotation. No one understands this, let alone measure. And also get a load of this, There is no Armadillo anywhere to be found, and there is no a pro-sect seller either.

I can order them from say bowlingball.com or other sites, but shipping to my place from there is just so much. I tried ghost shopping and my cart turned out to be $ 1000.00 plus.

I am trying a friend of mine to build me something like "KMT personal ball jig", if not exactly the same but may be closer.

I will also try "wiki fit system" and see how it goes.

You can see that I am desperate, and, extremely obliged for the help you guys providing me with.

Thanks. (Don't let the dream die. I believe, I can fly)

bowl1820
09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Okay Karachi, Pakistan:
The sindh tenpin bowling association which is located in Karachi, Pakistan and appears to have a pro shop also.
www.stba.org.pk

Also check with the Pakistan Tenpin Bowling Federation
http://www.ptbf.org.pk/

Also in regards to PAP since you don't have a fitted ball to get it from in the first place.

For layout purposes you can use a generic PAP of 5in. over and 3/4 in. up.

drsamraza
09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I am a member of STBA. the pro shop mentioned is a private office of one Mr. Agha, ( if you go on STBA.org.pk, you'll find his name and he is called "Bowling Legend of Pakistan" with an average of 185, O yeah, a Legend, really) who imports few balls, shoes etc. once, I went to him asking for finger inserts, he had few, I chose my fit, then he took it back from me, told me that this is for fitting purpose only, he will have to order it from China, which will arrive in 3 weeks time. Can you believe it? You better, as I am living a Bowler's Nightmare.

Here is another one for the road, so to speak. They sell Chinese House Balls mainly, (costs $ 100 to $ 150) few Columbia 300 WDs(cost $ 250 to $ 300), and they had one Hammer Clear Dice on shelf for One whole year before the "Pro shop Operator" which BTW is his office clerk, sold it to some guy who wanted a Hook Ball, for equvevalent of $ 250.00. I am not joking man. This is all true.

STBA holds tournament where game of 185 wins a trophy. Can you even imagine. The "HIGHEST GAME EVER PLAYED BY ANY BOWLER HERE IS 289, and that record is not broken in last 5 years" and people are playing for years here.

As far as drilling is concerned, there is a guy, he used to be carpenter, who drills or should I say @&$)(;:/- up the balls. I went to him and he asked me the thumb size and gave me a thumb fitter. I tried one size that fit, told him, just to be told back that that he doesn't have the Bit for that size. "He could drill the nearest size and then file it to fit mine. And get this. He took out a Stainless Steel, 12" school ruler, put it on the ball, bent it by force and marked my span from center of thumb hole to center of finger grip. Man, you should have seen the look on my face when I experienced that. And also get a load of this. He is the only person in whole of Pakistan, who drills or should I say again #{%}*}%_}]~ the balls.

So that is the story of Ten Pin Bowling in Pakistan. And silly me is trying to Have a bowl drilled according to Layout patterns and breathing and balance holes and what not.

Don't think I am trying to let my country down. It's great, just not in bowling. And Mr. Agha is the person who started Bowling Game in Pakistan. May be not a legend as far as Score is concerned, but as far as whole Bowling scene is concerned, he is the most sincere guy, a Pioneer, a Legend, in that sense.

drsamraza
09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
And I forgot to thank you for PAP advice. I didn't know there was a generic value. Thanks again. That will at least help to get me started and then, I can calculate for future bowl drillings. Seems like I have to spend a fortune to get a ball that is laid out and fitted for me.

I'm not giving up any time soon though.

I'll try, till I die. I believe I can fly.

billf
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
The reason I asked where you were from is I know a guy in Turkey. I will email him and see if he plans on being near your area any time soon. He won't be able to drill the ball but he will be able to get all your specs.

Tampabaybob
09-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Great determination to become a good bowler. I wish there was a way we could get you to someone that had the right equipment and experience to help you out. We'll put the word out here and see if we can get any takers from the ball companies or pro shops. If you have some approximate measurements, thumb size, finger sizes and span ( which you may be able to measure yourself) maybe we can make something happen. Keep the faith and keep practicing; you're heading in the right direction.

Bowl1820....any ideas?

Bob