PDA

View Full Version : First night of our first league was a total blast!

Big Nick
09-04-2012, 11:45 PM
My wife and I bowled in the opening week of our first league earlier tonight, and it was easily the most fun I've had bowling. We met our team members for the first time last week, and they were great. The team we bowled against was awesome, as well. Everyone was having a great time, and I can only hope that the rest of the season is as fun as tonight was. To top off the night, after setting our averages, we wound up beating the other team which was a bit unexpected. I can't wait until next week!

got_a_300
09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
That is what bowling is supposed to be "fun" but so many teams now
days like to take it too seriously especially if it is a high dollar money
league. I'd say as long as it is more or less just a fun type league you
should be able to have fun and enjoy it all season long.

floridanative772
09-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Glad you enjoyed it and had fun. Theres many more fun nights ahead , enjoy!

AngeloPD
09-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Glad you had fun, i missed my first day of league yesterday due to unexpected reasons.

Tampabaybob
09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Enjoy your nite out with the wife. I've been married twice and tried to get both wives to bowl in a league for a nite out. My current wife bowled one summer league and unfortunately hurt her back and ended up at a chiropractors office for 3 months, so that about shot that. Have a great time, it's something you both can enjoy for many years together.

Bob

billf
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
BigNick, glad you and your wife had such a good time.

Bill, that's why I bowl 3 leagues. 1 mixed social league, one mens handicap and the other mens scratch. Different levels of seriousness lol

Bob, first wife thought she could bowl and wanted to always tell everyone how good she was (too bad she never bowled that well). Real glad wife #2 doesn't bowl in that it gives me a place away all to myself. She visits lol

MisterSinister
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
That was us last year. My friends and I bowled over the summer before, and joined the league because we wanted to try it. We had a blast, week one and the whole season. We especially enjoyed the beer specials! Eventually we cut back out intake, because we wanted to actually still be able to see the pins by the end of game 3. This year I'm not going to drink at all during games, see how that works for me. Worked ok week one. 163, 192, 177, on a 141 average.

Big Nick
09-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, we had the opening night of our Sunday night league last night, and it wasn't as much fun as the Tuesday night league. On top of bowling terribly all night (set an average of 119 when my true average is close to 165), our self-appointed "team captain" is a bit of a jerk and he's constantly telling me what to do. I guess that's the luck of the draw when you join a league without having enough people to make a full team. I've decided to be nice about it and let him talk, but I'll just continue to bowl my game and not let him get to me. All-in-all it was quite a let down after all the fun that we had last Tuesday... maybe it'll get better otherwise I'll be counting down the weeks; 1 down, 33 to go.

panbanger
09-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Constantly telling you what to do, you mean like how to bowl? You could try telling him that you don't like to make adjustments during league, only during practice. Something like that maybe? I guess try to imagine that in his head he's trying to help you, maybe that will make it easier to take all his talking.

billf
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Do what I did. "I appreciate you wanting to help me. When I'm in the frame of mind to listen to what you're saying, I will come to you." That didn't work so I went with, "Shut the f@ck up and worry about yourself before I shove this ball up your a$$." That worked. He didn't say anything about bowling after that and asks for my help now.

Big Nick
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Constantly telling you what to do, you mean like how to bowl? You could try telling him that you don't like to make adjustments during league, only during practice. Something like that maybe? I guess try to imagine that in his head he's trying to help you, maybe that will make it easier to take all his talking.

Yeah, where to aim, how far to move, etc... you name it, he's got something to say. He set up the lineup and had me bowling first. I took my turn on the left lane and when it was my turn on the right lane, I went ahead and took it before the rest of the team had finished on the left. He didn't like that and told me to wait until we were all done on the left before moving to the right and vice versa. Not wanting to cause a stir, I did what he said, but we were the last team finished bowling... it took over three hours to bowl our three games. Its a wonder the other team didn't get upset.

I'll definitely take billf's advice and tell him that I don't like to make adjustments during the games, and maybe that'll get him to shut up. I also intend to pick the pace back up, as well. I hate bowling slow.