PDA

View Full Version : A Surprise On My Way To the Pro-shop

The German Shepherd
09-14-2012, 08:29 AM
The last time I used my Vivid, it seemed to me that it would benefit from being scuffed down a tad. I have less than 15 games on it and I have always loved the heavy roll this gets. Nothing in my arsenal will carry the "low-flush" hit like this ball. Nevertheless, I was in the mood to tweek it a little and set it in the front seat of my old Saturn as we set out on a bright and sunny day. I had to make a quick stop on the way to the pro-shop and when I came back out, what do you think I found? I found an oily sheen covering the surface of the Vivid!

Now, mind you, I am an OCD fanatic about keeping my bowling balls clean. I wipe them down every time I throw them, I use Simple Green/91% ISO cleaner after every series (and even DURING a series at times) and use a heavy duty cleaner every 6 games. Even with all of this fanatical attention to cleaning, the ball still absorbed some oil! I came home and gave the ball the Dawn Dishwashing liquid bath...

What else can a poor guy do to keep the oil out????

Jay

MICHAEL
09-14-2012, 10:38 AM
What else can a poor guy do to keep the oil out????

Don't bowl with it! LOL..... I know,,,, no one like a ..... LOL.... its just a fact of life, its going to happen! The ball is doing what it is suppose to do! lol

Fatal
09-14-2012, 10:59 AM
It's inevitable. Oil will be soaked.

striker12
09-14-2012, 12:23 PM
jay another thing you could do so you dont have to alway clean the oil out of the ball is get someone else to do it for you then u cna sit back and watch some tv

billf
09-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Jay, I have the same issue with my Nexxus.

AngeloPD
09-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Everytime i bowl i clean my balls with clean n' dull by power house, it says that it will remove oil tracks on that ball but it doesnt. is that normal?

edpup316
09-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Big hooking balls, like the nexxxus and your vivid, are just going to do it theres no stopping it. But if you didnt clean it as well as you do then there would be even more oil in it so keep up the excellent maintenance!

The German Shepherd
09-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Everytime i bowl i clean my balls with clean n' dull by power house, it says that it will remove oil tracks on that ball but it doesnt. is that normal?

Hook It removes those tracks as does Motiv Power Gel SCUFF....

Jay

75lockwood
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Ha! This is how i remove a lot of the oil from my ball after bowling when its hot out, i run into the store after bowling to get a few grocery's and i leave my bowling bag open in the sun and when i get out i give the ball a good cleaning. works great :)

billf
09-15-2012, 08:34 PM
^^^I use to do this with my truck. The back seat always got warm enough to draw oil out but NEVER above 130 degrees.

eugene02
09-15-2012, 09:42 PM
heard from my pro shop that ESPECIALLY Storm Vivid's absorb more oil than other balls.. no idea why also..

billf
09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Why? These new(er) high oil balls have a more porous cover than their predecessors. This is/was needed to increase the co-efficient of friction. Basically, the more oil it picks up, the better it can read the dry and make a hard turn to the pocket. Balls hook more now due to the ability to absorb that oil. A pain? Yes. Worth it? Hell yeah! Ooops, sorry Jay. Heck yeah!