PDA

View Full Version : Pluhowsky and Eoff ready to represent United States at World Cup

onefrombills
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
During her tenure on Team USA, Shannon Pluhowsky of Phoenix has been a familiar face at the QubicaAMF World Cup. This week, she'll make her fourth appearance at the event and looks to become the first bowler to capture the coveted title three times.

The tournament will be contested for the 44th year and returns to Hermosillo, Mexico, where it was held in 1994. Beginning Saturday, players from more than 90 countries will take to the lanes at the brand new, 32-lane Bol 300.

"I'm excited to go back to the World Cup, and I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends," said Pluhowsky, who won the event in 2002 and 2004 and finished second in 2003. "It's always a well-run tournament, and everyone is very friendly, so it's not as stressful as some events. Having experience always helps, but it's a different location and a different format, so anything can happen. Either way, I'm excited about the opportunity."

The American women have won the event four times in the last six years (Lynda Barnes in 2005 and Diandra Asbaty in 2006), but defending champion Ann-Maree Putney of Australia will be on hand for her seventh career appearance and will have her sights set on becoming the second repeat winner in tournament history.

Pluhowsky, an eight-time Team USA member, is ready for the challenge after testing her skills last week at the first Professional Bowlers Association Women's Series event of the season, where she led qualifying and finished fourth.

"It always helps to bowl on challenging conditions to stay sharp, and I'll bowl some more over the next couple of days to continue getting ready," Pluhowsky said. "There's always pressure to do well, but you can't think about that too much. I just want to bowl my best while representing my country. I also want to have fun."

The 26-year-old left-hander will be joined in Hermosillo by 2008 USBC Team Trials champion and two-time Team USA member Derek Eoff of Greenfield, Wis., who hopes to bring the men's title home to the United States for the second consecutive year. Last year, nine-time Team USA member Bill Hoffman of Columbus, Ohio, became the first American man to win the World Cup since 1995.

"My first event with Team USA helped me learn about the atmosphere, the travel and what to expect at tournaments like this," said Eoff, a 28-year-old right-hander who won five medals (three gold, one silver and one bronze) at the 2007 Men's American Zone Championships. "I'm not putting any extra pressure on myself, but there's obviously already some there because Bill won last year, and, technically, I'm there to defend the title. I've been looking forward to this since they announced who was going. Being selected definitely means a lot, and there's no better feeling than bowling for your country."

World Cup action starts with practice and opening ceremonies on Saturday. Competitors then will bowl 24 games of qualifying over four days before the field is cut to the top 24 in each division Wednesday. Advancing players will bowl an additional eight games Thursday before the field is cut to the top eight in each division. After eight more games Thursday, the top three in each division will move on to Friday's best-of-three stepladder finals.