PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new pro shop?

RoccoRock
09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
So I took the Fire Road I won from this site, and had it drilled last night. I took it to my regular guy, who I've been going to for over 2 years. I debated on taking it to someone else. My current guy knows all my struggles, and all my flip flops. We had both beleived I was one the right track one handed. So I wanted the FR for two handing, and I didn't want to have to admit to him that I still wanted to play around with two handing. In the end, two things brought me him. Loyalty, he's done every ball I've had for two years. Also, I didn't want to pay full price somewhere else. Even though I don't bowl in a league at that house, he gives me the discount as if I did. Well that backfired, he charged me $60 to drill the ball. That's without a thumb slug, or a Switch Grip sleeve or anything. Just finger inserts. Not only does that not seem like he gave me a discount, but it seems like it's more exspensive than he normaly charges. I have a bad habit of not really paying attention to the price until it's too late. He also put in two yellow grip, that seems fine, that's the color I asked for. Problem is, they are two differnt shades of yellow. There was another issue last week, when I told him the used Virtual Gravity Nano he had waiting for me I didn't really want. I had not paid for it yet. He told me it was ready to go for me. I felt bad, and my boss gave me a bonus, so I said OK, I'll take it. When I got there, he just started drilling it. He made it sound like it was drilled already. If it was just plugged, he could have put it in the used section to sell it, and let me off the hook. There was also the issue during my lesson. I had an hour lesson with him two months ago. During the lesson, he walked away, twice. He missed at least 15 minutes of the lesson. Also, he has never once checked for my PAP, or calculated my rev rate, or anything really. Again, part my fault cause I either forget these things myself, or figure he knows better than me, and has this handled. I think at this point, he's tired of my crying, and flip flopping, and I'm tired of spending a lot of money, and not feeling like I'm getting my moneys worth. He's a nice guy, and we talk about our kids, and our passion for bowling, and I hate to go somewhere else, but it may be time. My big issue is, I would like to find a pro shop that's two handed friendly. Most of these guys who run the pro shop either have a smug "I'm better than you, and you do it wrong anyway" attitude, or they tell you what you do is ok then laugh behind your back. I thought about calling around the local shops, and seeing if there's a way I can ask a few questions and try to ge a reed on how they view two handers. See if any of them have ideas on how to lay out a ball for a two handed, and if they can help a two hander get better. My wife's cousin is close friends with a pro bowler, who has won a PBA event (he beat my man Belmo for that title, it was the first time I had ever seen two handed bowling) and he is considered one of, if not the best bowler in NY. My wife may ask her to see if he knows any two handed friendly pro shops. Other than that, I don't know how I can find a two handed friendly shop, it's not like you can google that.

Davec13
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Good luck finding a two handed coach. Honestly with as new of a bowling style as it is there are very few people with enough skill to consistently bowl that way, yet alone enough experience to teach another person.

Regarding all the other issues you have had with that shop I would go elsewhere.

billf
09-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Talk to him about it. Seriously. I had some of the same issues with the shop I was using. After the situation where DV8 got involved, we talked and seem to have worked things out. I even told him his fits were great (span, pitch, etc) but his layouts left something to be desired for me. That's when he said I could use his pro-sect and lay the ball out myself. I explained that he was a great guy and I enjoy talking to him but what I''m paying for is a great driller and after spending over a grand earlier this year and never having my PAP checked, I couldn't say he fit that category. I then started naming off all the people I've sent or brought down there (50 mile drive, one way). I made my point and we have been good since. He has even called twice to ask me questions about DV8 layouts for people I bowl with.

billf
09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
As for the coaching; Belmo is still working with the USBC to develop a two handed program. Contrary to how I interpreted Dave's post, a coach can teach the proper technique without being able to properly combine the steps themselves. I can two hand but wouldn't be able to walk the next day after a full series.

MICHAEL
09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
when did you win the Fire Road? Wow, I didn't know you won? Is that your second ball you have won?

MICHAEL
09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
We do have a X PBA bowler, that actually drilled for the Pro's at tournaments here at Strike/Spare! I would highly recomend him for a good fit! He studies your hand looks at the joints,,, wrist,,, ect. I am picking up 3 balls that we had plugged today for my wife! Will let all of you know how it turns out! I have discovered from him that there is a lot that goes into getting the right fit in a bowling ball!

RoccoRock
09-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I won the Fire Road like 3 weeks ago I think. No, it's the first ball I won. As far as talking to the guy like Bill has suggested, I though about that already. If it was just that he hasn't found my PAP or calculated my Rev rate, then we can talk, and fix it. It's the other issues, the money related issues that make me want to go somewhere else rather than talk it out. I would rather just take my money elsewhere. The good thing is I live on Long Island, and there's probably 20 pro shops within driving distance. There's at least 5 within about the same distance from my house. The other good thing for me is I don't bowl i have the bowling alley where this pro shop is. I may try the pro shop in the bowling alley that my league is in. The guy comes if like a douche, but from what I hear his prices are better, and he knows what he's talking about. Funny thing is it has the same name as the pro shop I've been going to, because it used to be owned by the same guy.

MICHAEL
09-20-2012, 01:58 PM
DAAAAAAA?#@% I thought it was Bill that won the fire Road!! My wife has one, and its her go 2 ball for strikes.... she has a Cyclone, Manic, and the Fire Road. In that order, is the amount of hook ,,,,, most hook Fire Road, then the Manic,,, and she uses her Cyclone for 10 pin's and some spares!! She loves her Fire Road!

Davec13
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM
As for the coaching; Belmo is still working with the USBC to develop a two handed program. Contrary to how I interpreted Dave's post, a coach can teach the proper technique without being able to properly combine the steps themselves. I can two hand but wouldn't be able to walk the next day after a full series.

It's so hard sometimes to express yourself online.

I was trying to say with two handed bowling being rather new it may be hard to get a knowledgeable coach. While you may be able to find a coach who can teach you the basics. Once you get to a certain plateau you could be stuck as the knowledge isn't there to diagnose and show you how to improve. Where as with one hand bowling there are years (heck even decades) of history and experience to rely upon and get answers once you plateau.

billf
09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
It's so hard sometimes to express yourself online.

I was trying to say with two handed bowling being rather new it may be hard to get a knowledgeable coach. While you may be able to find a coach who can teach you the basics. Once you get to a certain plateau you could be stuck as the knowledge isn't there to diagnose and show you how to improve. Where as with one hand bowling there are years (heck even decades) of history and experience to rely upon and get answers once you plateau.

I agree, it's harder to express properly at times on-line. Sometimes finding a "good" coach for one-handed is hard enough never mind a fairly new but rapidly growing style.

I say try the douche. You want a great driller and that doesn't mean he has to have a decent personality. Plus you never know, maybe after talking to him he will lighten up some.

RoccoRock
09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I am going to try the driller at the shop I bowl at. I don't like the grips in my Fire Road, so I'll have him order in the ones I like and put them in. I'll also order a new spare balk from him. That should be a good test. I use Semi Fingertip grips two handing, so I want to put semis in my spare ball, but I want a thumb hole in it if I want to throw my spares on handed. So he has to get the span correct for semi fingertip.