PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to try learning how to bowl with 3 fingers again,

martinezsam2495
09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I have one question, I heard you can feel the thumb coming off the ball, applying the revs, and speed.
Yet when I tried this I felt none of the three other than insecurity.

billf
09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
The thumb shouldn't feel anything. The thumb exits then you rotate and let the ball come off the ends of your fingers.

eugene02
09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
good choice! hope you can upload a video soon!

kurowah
09-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Yup, the thumb shouldn't be doing anything but holding the ball until release, where it should then exit smoothly. Practice hard and have fun. Good luck!

Tampabaybob
09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Sam, take a look at this video in slo mo and you'll see how the best of the best release the ball. Pay particular attention to the thumb coming out of the ball first as the wrist/hand is beginning to rotate.........Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N5nnDbV0znE

billf
09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Bob, are you getting royalties for every post of this video? Just kidding. It's a good video.

Tampabaybob
09-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Bill........If I were......I wouldn't need to try and win a free bowling ball here !! Lets see I'm up to 5....or is it 6? LOL

AngeloPD
09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Bob, you have not yet won a ball here? I thought you have.

Tampabaybob
09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Not that I'm aware, unless my post office lady has a new ball ! Would love to have one, finances are tight, like everyones, and no room in the budget for one for quite a while. Just keep trying to use my 30+ years of coaching experience to help all of these bowlers and keep my fingers crossed. Love the game and love to see others improve. I donate a lot of time helping kids and adults with their game. Love to do it.

Bob

martinezsam2495
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Not that I'm aware, unless my post office lady has a new ball ! Would love to have one, finances are tight, like everyones, and no room in the budget for one for quite a while. Just keep trying to use my 30+ years of coaching experience to help all of these bowlers and keep my fingers crossed. Love the game and love to see others improve. I donate a lot of time helping kids and adults with their game. Love to do it.

Bob

I am sorry for not getting back to you, wow This is a great video, I have only been able to watch half of it so far, because I have school in 30 minutes.
But this video is amazing. I found out my problem of the reason I can't hook it right or have little to no hook is because,
1.I can't cup the ball ( I know this can be done in the end or doesn't have to be done but still )
2. My thumb is coming out too late.
3. Due to thumb coming out late, it usually means the ball is coming out of my ring and middle finger the same time as my thumb.

I am going to go talk to the guy at the pro shop where I got it drilled and see what from there.
One thing I put into consideration is since this whole time I have been using 2 fingers doesn't really require using a part of my hand that 3 finger does, I built up those muscles to withstand 15 pounds, but what if the muscles with 3 fingers can't withstand the ball yet?....

jimlc2001
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM
If you need to build up your wrist, practice the release at home in slow motion. I would definitely see a coach to see if the proper correction is simply practicing the release or correcting your thumb hole pitch.

Tampabaybob
10-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Cupping your wrist and then quickly uncap at the release point takes a lot of practice to get right. Because you're used to throwing without your thumb, it shouldn't take too long to get it
right. Just many games of practice. One thing I did notice that you said was about your thumb and fingers coming out at the same time. That's very important to overcome and get the thumb out early. Practice and send us a video if you can so we can see your release.

Bob

bowl1820
10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
martinezsam2495 there is no need to bump this thread, you had just posted yesterday to it. It will show as a new post to those who haven't read it.