PDA

View Full Version : Sadly I have lost side rotation!

Zothen
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Back in the late 80's till I left in 2000,I bowled with a reverse pitch and coming over top. I have spent the last 2yrs relearning to bowl the proper way and was doing quite well that is until 2 weeks ago. I went to a bowling seminar and bowl the equivelant of about 20 games. Learned a lot and went to put what I learned to use in my Wed league. Unfortunately I could'nt put any lift on the ball. so I tried everything from slowing my approach to slowing my armswing to trying to put lift on the ball and all my ball wanted to do was roll end over end instead of side roll. Even during practice I still can't get any lift on the ball and it's getting frustrating. I have tried the football technique,but,still can't get the ball to roll the way it's suppose to. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies!

Zothen

kurowah
09-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Just gotta keep practicing. Sounds like you already know how things should work but just can't get your body to do it. When I have trouble I just try to exaggerate all my movements. Sometimes I even try to come around the side of the ball. What's most important to me though, is that I need to record myself to see what I am really doing because what I think I feel I am doing is usually not what I am actually doing. So now, I always record my sessions and try to make adjustments from there.

Hope I am somewhat a help! :p Happy bowling.

Tampabaybob
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Back in the late 80's till I left in 2000,I bowled with a reverse pitch and coming over top. I have spent the last 2yrs relearning to bowl the proper way and was doing quite well that is until 2 weeks ago. I went to a bowling seminar and bowl the equivelant of about 20 games. Learned a lot and went to put what I learned to use in my Wed league. Unfortunately I could'nt put any lift on the ball. so I tried everything from slowing my approach to slowing my armswing to trying to put lift on the ball and all my ball wanted to do was roll end over end instead of side roll. Even during practice I still can't get any lift on the ball and it's getting frustrating. I have tried the football technique,but,still can't get the ball to roll the way it's suppose to. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies!

Zothen

First question is, where is you thumb ending up after you release the ball ? Is it pointing up towards the ceiling or at 9:00 o'clock ? I'm wondering if you may be suitcasing the ball instead of lifting and turning with your fingers.

When you were practicing, after the seminar, how was the ball rolling and how did it feel differently from what you were doing during the league. Go back and review the points you were shown in the seminar and maybe something will ring a bell. It's hard to say without seeing a video, but your comment about "not getting any lift on the ball" has me wondering what's going on at the point of release. How about trying the foul line drill, kneeling down and swinging the ball and then releasing. If you 'watch' your arm and see your hand position maybe you can pick up something from that. Let us know whats happening and get a video if you can and up load about 4 or 5 frames and a couple with a side view.

Bob

Zothen
09-21-2012, 09:59 PM
From what I was told by those who watched me during leagues,my thumb was around 2 o'clock and I was not following thru even though I felt I was. I practice today going back to basics. My main goal was to put lift on ball and after a couple flat balls,I started to make sure I extended my arm and bring my index finger to my ear in a 12 o' clock position,seemed to get the side roll I was looking for. Will see if I have it on Monday & wednsday.

Thanks for all your help!

Zothen

Tampabaybob
09-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Until we all develop "muscle memory" each move we make needs to be a conscious move. Now I know we all say once you're on the approach don't think about anything except hitting your spot, but until you feel you can 'automatically' rotate your wrist and lift with your fingers, you'll probably need to focus on Just that part of your delivery. Feeling the correct rotation on each delivery is tough and does take some getting used to. Especially when you start changing hand positions for different conditions. You almost want to try and see your hand in your own mind, by feeling what position it's in throughout your backswing. Again, it's not the easiest thing to do, and will take some practice, but I think from what I've seen you write you are a committed bowler and this is something you can do. Of course it always helps to have a second pair of eyes behind you to help. Let them know 'exactly' what you're trying to accomplish, so they know what to look for.

Also something that you may want to check. Make sure your elbow is in very close to your side during your swing. If I feel my swing getting a little funky, I always try to feel my arm burs against my side on the way down AND back. That way I know I'm coming through straight. Just something else to check.

As you are finding out, bowling, can be a difficult sport to master. It's always made me laugh when someone would joke about what an easy sport it is. That shows you the person is; a) not a bowler and b) a complete idiot !!

Good luck, let me know how you're doing. Here's the foul line drill I told you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NhM3tights

Bob