PDA

View Full Version : Need spare shooting help

GoodGorilla
09-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Before I started using fingertip I use to be great at shooting spares, but I'm not that good now. I can do well shooting spares if I throw hooks at them, but I had to start shooting a strait spare ball at them now because I have to save my wrist for my strike shots. I usually bowl daily and if I throw hooks every shoot it totally kills my wrist. Up to this point I kind of just moved to a spot on the lane that looks good to me and make an attempt at the spare shots. I never really was discrete at what arrows to stand on or shoot at. This video looked interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acaHrhUHvx0
this video looks pretty good too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Bbt6_Flkw&feature=related

VampyreBowler
09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Well my first question is what is the most difficult spare for you to convert?

Second, here are some suggestions.

1. Get a wrist guard. Whether it's a just a wrap around or a an adjustable wrist guard that should help with the wrist.
2. Practice. Practice. Practice. When I used to go practicing with my ex-wife we would bowl and normal game on the first game. Second game would be nothing but "strike" shots whether it was first ball or second ball. Third game would be nothing but picking up 7 pins and 10 pins. Then i would do 3 more games for stamina purposes.
3. Biggest 10pin (rightie) spare shooting tip came from Parker Bohn III. He came and did an appearance at the house I used to bowl at and unknown to us bowlers, he had one lane completely stripped of oil and he started picking off 7 pins (since he is a leftie). It showed 2 things, the importance of a plastic spare ball and the "breaking" back of your wrist in order to throw the ball as straight as possible. He also liken the importance of having a plastic spare ball to that of going golfing and not having a putter. You use the putter to clean up the hole and you use the spare ball to clean up the frame. Unfortunately I have not been able to purchase a replacement plastic ball after having mine stolen.

billf
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Try the 3-6-9 spare shooting system with the middle arrow as your target. For each pin Right of the head pin you move your feel Left 3 boards. For each pin left of the head pin you move right 3 boards. So for the 10 pin you stand on 29 throw over center arrow to 10 pin. For the 7 pin you stand at 11, over center arrow to the 7 pin. It's a starting point anyway until you find exactly what works for you.

rab91787
09-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Thing I always use for spares is just keep everything relaxed and put no effort into speed because you don't need it (unless you need a kicker for a big split or something).

Tampabaybob
09-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Before I started using fingertip I use to be great at shooting spares, but I'm not that good now. I can do well shooting spares if I throw hooks at them, but I had to start shooting a strait spare ball at them now because I have to save my wrist for my strike shots. I usually bowl daily and if I throw hooks every shoot it totally kills my wrist. Up to this point I kind of just moved to a spot on the lane that looks good to me and make an attempt at the spare shots. I never really was discrete at what arrows to stand on or shoot at. This video looked interesting.

The first question I have is "Why is your wrist bothering you so much that you have to change your style shooting spares?" It sounds like you're really using too much muscle on the release. Yeah, it's good to have a quick power release, but if it's killing your wrist, your bowling days could be numbered and we don't want to see that. Something that you are doing during the release is excessive, and causing that much stress on your wrist. If there's a pro in your area that gives lessons, I'd encourage you to book him for at least one lesson and have him see what's going on.

As far as the spare shooting goes, except for the 6 & 10 pin, there's no reason you can't throw a hook for your spares. If you use either one of the third arrows or middle arrow, you shouldn't have to force the ball because of the heavier oil.

Bob

GoodGorilla
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I guess my wrist hurts from throwing to many hook shots because I've been bowling like 30 games a week. Ever since I have been using the spare ball, my wrist has not been hurting that much. Now it's my hip that's giving me problems. Hardest spare shot? I am generally not confident in my strait ball. For some reason I can't get the ball where I want to throw it. When the ball comes off my hand, it doesn't seem to take the same direction every time. I have been practicing alot latly, I am getting better. One thing that seems to help me is keeping my elbow locked strait. When I throw hook shots I keep my elbow relaxed. Something I am probably going to try is something I saw parker bohn III say in a video where he uses a weak wrist to throw at spares (bent backwards wrist). Overall I'm doing well at the lanes, I had a 700 and a 600 series in a span of a week. My biggest problem at the moment is throwing my spareball strait. Edit: Heh, I just read that stuff about your experience with parker bohn III. Cool stuff, I want to try not using a broken wrist just yet. I'm sure I will take it seriousloy pretty soon.

GoodGorilla
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Try the 3-6-9 spare shooting system with the middle arrow as your target. For each pin Right of the head pin you move your feel Left 3 boards. For each pin left of the head pin you move right 3 boards. So for the 10 pin you stand on 29 throw over center arrow to 10 pin. For the 7 pin you stand at 11, over center arrow to the 7 pin. It's a starting point anyway until you find exactly what works for you.

I think I will try this, this week.

bayedup84
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
a wrist wrap or anything won't help realive a lil pain?

AngeloPD
10-04-2012, 01:10 AM
take pain killers before bowling maybe?

the 3-6-9 spare system is what i use all the time and its working perfectly.

bayedup84
10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
do ya'll think plastic balls are better for picking up spares too?

Greenday
10-04-2012, 08:37 PM
do ya'll think plastic balls are better for picking up spares too?

Well, when shooting for ten pins (I'm a righty), nine pines, or six pins, I always use my plastic ball. Most lanes aren't oiled enough that it's too hard to throw a straight ball with my strike ball. With my spare ball, I can just throw it straight every time and it won't over hook.

billf
10-04-2012, 08:58 PM
When I'm bowling for money all I use for spares is plastic. Lately for league I have been using my strike ball and throwing it straight (or trying anyway).

Tampabaybob
10-06-2012, 05:20 AM
My spare ball only comes off the rack for 6, and 10 pins. I've tried using my spare ball on every shot and ended up missing shots on the right I always made. It's just more comfortable to do that for me.

When my Daughter went to college, one of the first things the bowling team coaches told her was "spare balls for 'every' second ball shot and to go straight down the boards at every shot except the right hand corner. Kinda screwed her up, because like me she threw a hook at everything except the right hand side. She's not bowling with the team anymore ($$$$$) and back to converting spares (good) the way she used to. Not every person fits the same mold and whatever works the best for you...DO IT. Regardless of what someone says.

I use a spare shooting system I developed myself as a teenager many years ago and I've taught this system to hundreds of bowlers, with HUGE success. Basically, if you throw a 'down and in ball' (and this is not for you crankers), without looking at your feet, VISUALLY line up your ball, the middle arrow, and your object pin (say for instance the 4 pin), and shoot the arrow to the right of the arrow you lined up with. You walk towards your target. Most people I've showed this to, have greatly increased their spare shooting ability and think this is a no brainer. I convert spares, around a 98% average and anyone else can also achieve that once you get used to it. SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE.

Bob

GoodGorilla
10-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I use a spare shooting system I developed myself as a teenager many years ago and I've taught this system to hundreds of bowlers, with HUGE success. Basically, if you throw a 'down and in ball' (and this is not for you crankers), without looking at your feet, VISUALLY line up your ball, the middle arrow, and your object pin (say for instance the 4 pin), and shoot the arrow to the right of the arrow you lined up with. You walk towards your target. Most people I've showed this to, have greatly increased their spare shooting ability and think this is a no brainer. I convert spares, around a 98% average and anyone else can also achieve that once you get used to it. SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE.

Bob

That sounds lilke another system I should try out. This week I have been focusing mostly on keeping my elbow locked on spare balls, and it has increased my percentage alot. Once I am confortable throwing the ball where I want, I'll start to worry about where to aim. This week my scores were pretty low but I'm not that concerened because the first few days there was no oil on the lane, and it took me a few games to figure out there were no lines to play, then I started to hook my spare balls on that surface to get a few 200+ games. The next day I went to another bowling ally, and they had just layed down the pro tour oil pattern without telling me, and it took me 4 games to believe that there were no dry parts on the sides. I dropped my speed by 4 mph and revd the ball like crazy to get the ball to strike, and after I was done the person at the front desk was like, oh I forgot to tell you we have the pro shot pattern down today. It was a good experience though, it gave me more spare practice, and I am definitly getting better by locking my elbow on the spare shot.

billf
10-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Do you lock it on your strike shot?

Keithalw
10-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Reading this i know myself I am going to try some of the spare systems talked bout here.

Tampabaybob
10-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Reading this i know myself I am going to try some of the spare systems talked bout here.

Keith, give my system a try. It's really so simple you'll be amazed. I've actually had people ask me if I had it patented and I've laughed about it.
Let me know if it works. All visual except maybe for the ten pin.

Bob

Keithalw
10-10-2012, 04:46 AM
TampaBayBob I will give your system a try... I just got to get a plastic spare ball still though... I have the biggest trouble with the 10 pin

bowl1820
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I use what I call the "Walter Ray" system, A guy was talking about it in another forum one time so I gave it a try.
Basically it was once you have your starting position, pick one spot on the left to shoot all right side spares, one on the right to shoot all left side spares.

Heres what WRW said

Walter Ray-
"I have my own method for shooting spares. I like to shoot my right side spares from the same starting spot on the left side of the lane and adjusting my target depending on the spare. Likewise I shoot my left side spares from the same starting spot on the right side of the lane and adjust my target accordingly. I will adjust my target for 10 pins depending on the approaches."

GoodGorilla
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Do you lock it on your strike shot?

No I don't, I kinda let my arm go limp like a noodle after the pushaway. Off this subject, I just had my spare ball finger holes altered abit which made me miss more spares. The alteration was to fix an odd shape which was in one of the finger tips, now all the holes are shaped good and the ball comes off my hand correctly now. But since the fingertip was altered it did chage the way it would come off my hand so I am not use to it yet. Off subject abit, but I am getting much better at cupping the ball. I think the reason why I wasn't as good in the past is because I wasn't able to uncup it gently.

GoodGorilla
10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Just an update. I am making slow progress on getting better at the spare shots. I am being more consistant at throwing the ball where I want to even if it was a bad judgment. I am still trying to keep my elbow strait, but latly I am accelereating my swing after it has passed my right knee and it is making the ball go straiter. I still have alot of aspects I am still experimenting with but it's getting better. Having my wrist back really screws me up, so should I get that worked out before anything else?

Tampabaybob
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
The question is, how's your wrist feeling? Are you using a wrist brace to alleviate the pain you had? Your back of your wrist should be lined up with your arm so it's a flat surface.
That means you would be keeping your wrist straight. Is that what you're doing? You say having your wrist back; are you breaking your wrist back ?

The acceleration on your down swing shouldn't really be happening. You want gravity only on your swing, with a little bit of power at the point of release. That's your explosion point where you'll turn the ball with your wrist and fingers only (no thumb - it comes out straight and up towards the ceiling).

Bob

GoodGorilla
10-18-2012, 07:59 AM
My wrist feels alot better now. If anything my fingers get sore, and my thigh. I'm not accelerating on the down swing, I accelerate after the ball passes my leg just before teh release. I have been keeping my wrist straight.

GoodGorilla
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I have not been breaking my wrist backwards for the spare shooting, but parker bohn III says to do it, and another book that I am reading. When I try to do it I just suck and the ball goes some random place. No, I have not got a wrist device. However I am alot more gental with the ball when I am rotating it on the strikes, I kinda just let go of the ball while focusing on the angle of the release point. I have not been rotating the ball on the spare shot. Just tring to throw it as strait as possib le.

GoodGorilla
10-18-2012, 08:11 AM
For some reason this forum will give me errors trying to edit my posts. Anyhow, On my strike release I do not accelerate or hit up on the ball anymore. I just rely on the uncupping process to generate the revs, and getting under the ball. When my wrist was hurting I was hitting up on the ball at the end and accelerating at the end.

Tampabaybob
10-18-2012, 09:45 AM
On your 6 and 10 pin shots, when you break your wrist backwards, have your thumb on top of the ball (as you would for a straight ball) and on release let your thumb come straight up. This is how I throw my plastic ball at the corner shots and get no hook at all. Also every couple of nights I also put a coat of polish on the plastic ball to make sure "it won't hook."

Bob

GoodGorilla
10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I think getting my spares down is going to take some time, and isn't going to happen quickly. Today I did have a few games where I hit all my spares without breaking my wrist. Last night I was really trying to break my wrist on the release, and it went pretty well. So far it seems my biggest problem is keeping the weight of my body straight forward while having the momentum of my body strait forward - is it supose to be like this even for strike shots? I don't really pay attention to my body momentum for strikes, they just seem to happen when I'm lined up right.

noeymc
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
i use a low hook ball for spares and i kinda just go up there and throw the ball i dont miss alot of spares unless its a spare i use the arrows and i know how much the ball hooks the hardest spare for me to pick up is the ones where u got like 2/8 or 3/9 i have a med rev rate

75lockwood
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
When i shoot spares i spread my index and pinky fingers further and full roll the ball, making cup irrelevant

J Anderson
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
The main thing is to figure out a system that works rfor you gust lost power

GoodGorilla
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
The spare ball I am currently using is a polar ice ball by storm. I just recently discovered it is actually a urathane ball with a 3 piece core. There have been many times where the ball was rolling strait then just hook down the lane enough to get away from the spare. The ball also seems like it has a good ability to grip the lanes, which I use to hook on dry lanes. I just ordered a path spare ball which doesn't have a 3 piece core, and is strictly polyester. Any insight on this?

75lockwood
11-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I Actually had a question about spare shooting... currently when shooting 10 pins i use my reactive ball and throw a full roller cross lane, if i were to get a spare ball would i still need to do this? or can i throw how i would a normal ball and just not get the hook? (still shooting cross lane)

AZBowla
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm usually pretty spot on with my spare shooting (unless it's that damned 7 pin... grrrr - I still need to work on that one, and I might try the 3-6-9 system on those). As for a system, well I don't really have one. I stand where I think I'll have a good shot at it, then I just stare down the pin I'm aiming at as I throw and most of the time if it's anything but that stupid 7, I'll hit it. I dunno why that works, even my GF thinks it's crazy but that's how I do it. I don't recommend it unless you feel lucky. :)

J Anderson
11-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I Actually had a question about spare shooting... currently when shooting 10 pins i use my reactive ball and throw a full roller cross lane, if i were to get a spare ball would i still need to do this? or can i throw how i would a normal ball and just not get the hook? (still shooting cross lane)

unless you use an awful lot of revs and or axis rotation you can probably just use your normal release. The ball may hook a few boards but not enough to matter.

GoodGorilla
11-06-2012, 07:44 AM
unless you use an awful lot of revs and or axis rotation you can probably just use your normal release. The ball may hook a few boards but not enough to matter.

It depends on how oily the lane is, and the lane transition. My Polar Ice ball will hook if I throw a normal release on it. It will even hook if I throw it end over end sometimes. If I hook the polar Ice it will hook anywhere between 10-20 boards if I am playing the right side. I'm not so sure about throwing it at the 10 or 7 pin.

J Anderson
11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
It depends on how oily the lane is, and the lane transition. My Polar Ice ball will hook if I throw a normal release on it. It will even hook if I throw it end over end sometimes. If I hook the polar Ice it will hook anywhere between 10-20 boards if I am playing the right side. I'm not so sure about throwing it at the 10 or 7 pin.

I think Lockwood is talking about a polyester ball with a pancake weight block, like a T-Zone or a White Dot.

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 09:31 PM
The spare ball I am currently using is a polar ice ball by storm. I just recently discovered it is actually a urathane ball with a 3 piece core. There have been many times where the ball was rolling strait then just hook down the lane enough to get away from the spare. The ball also seems like it has a good ability to grip the lanes, which I use to hook on dry lanes. I just ordered a path spare ball which doesn't have a 3 piece core, and is strictly polyester. Any insight on this?

Gorrilla......The poly ball should definitely help, especially with the 6 & 10 pin shots. Keep it polished so it will slide further. You don't want it to hook when you shoot the right corner. Personally I thought the polar ice would be a good spare ball. Glad I didn't buy one.

It looks as though, you're getting the hang of releasing the ball so it won't impact your wrist and that's great. Nothing worse than having to bowl in pain. Keep up the good work.

Bob

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM

Lockwood....A polyester ball will definitely slide more heading to the corners especially when you're shooting cross alley. I also can use my regular balls to shoot the corners by "killing" the roll, but when the heat is on in the league I'll always go to the ball with less possibility of hook.
If cost is a concern, check with your pro shops and look for a used polyester. I bought my Roto Grip world polyester for 20 bucks at our pro shop. If you were to encounter really dry lanes, you'd be happy that you had a polyester ball for your spares.

Bob

75lockwood
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Lockwood....A polyester ball will definitely slide more heading to the corners especially when you're shooting cross alley. I also can use my regular balls to shoot the corners by "killing" the roll, but when the heat is on in the league I'll always go to the ball with less possibility of hook.
If cost is a concern, check with your pro shops and look for a used polyester. I bought my Roto Grip world polyester for 20 bucks at our pro shop. If you were to encounter really dry lanes, you'd be happy that you had a polyester ball for your spares.

Bob

Alright thanks guys, i have actually gotten quite good at hitting 10 pins with my normal ball (6/7 today) i will look into finding a cheap spareball, but if i can't get one cheap i doubt i will bother, i would rather get a new reactive ball.

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I felt the same, and that's why I waited. I was lucky to catch that Roto for 20 bucks. Couldn't say no to that one.

Bob

billf
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I just looked. What happened to the regular plain jane, polyester Storm Ice?

GoodGorilla
11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
It's a polar ice. I thought it was polyester, but it's actually urathane. I was not aware there was much difference between the Ice and the Polar Ice balls which the Ice is polyester. I got a Path ball over the Ice because the Ice is pearl, I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good for spares. Anyway, I am going to get the path drilled today after work.

GoodGorilla
11-08-2012, 06:17 AM
The path ball works waaaaay better as a spare ball than the Polar Ice. I wouldn't even call the Polar Ice a spare ball, I would call it a dry lane hook ball. The Path rolled towards it's target, never gripping on to anything, with no un predictable ball movement. What I mean by that is, the Polar Ice ball will grip if it hits dry oil, and sometimes it will hook even when the ball is rolling end over end, probably because of the three piece core.

madhav1A
11-08-2012, 07:22 AM

3-6-9 system works very well u can make few adjustments according to your shoulder size and any plastic ball should do well