PDA

View Full Version : Hell Raiser Terror

billf
09-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I went with a 44' THS pattern. I was going to lay down a sport shot but figured most that asked for this would be using house patterns for league. The quality of the bowling was also poor. I bowled too much this week, even for me.

http://youtu.be/IRgenf7yXkQ

billf
09-23-2012, 09:49 AM
I tried a few shots from all over the lane. As you can see, when you make a large move, it's sometimes difficult to decide on a new target. I also used several different releases hoping to hit the majority used on here.

striker12
09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
bill at 3:57 seconds when u where shooting at the 1-2-4-10 its was a nice try close u should of slowed the ball down alittle more and have the ball rev at about 4degrees i think thats what it is, its where the lkine your throwing u have the rev facing towards that 1pin and have it abit slower and it will hit brooklin and send that 1pin at the 10pin.

but if anything nice shots and u did try all over the lane but one thing you should of done was stick with 1 release thn u could compare where u could stand and what ind of target to to shoot at

75lockwood
09-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the great video, but you should have ended it with a strike :cool:

billf
09-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I bowled all day and finished with my league. I ended the day with a strike, 260 game

eugene02
09-23-2012, 12:53 PM
why did you wear guard in the first few throws? do they make you bowl better? my dad encourages me to use back the guard because it maintains my hand position and he thinks i'll be more consistent with it on.. right now.. im not really very consistent with my bowling skills though.. >_>

billf
09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I warmed up with it because I was sore before I even started. I already had close to 20 hours bowling this week plus coaching before the video. I haven't worn the brace in months. I don't like how it hurts my hand when I un-cup my wrist but they do a wonderful job of teaching a strong wrist position for the beginning of the release. Most braces are adjustable.

Striker, I did slow the ball down as you can obviously see. It's called missing your mark. As for the releases, if I used the same release on 5 as 25 how do you suppose the ball would have stayed on the lane? It was a THS and I was already using more rotation and revs than would normally be needed.

striker12
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
bill the way i sead it is the way i do out at the 5board decent revs and it moves in just enoph never over hooks once and awhile it will under hook but the way u released the ball it wont hook enoph but your shot was alittle slower then your normal shots but it was good best way i do it is i slow down on ym down swing and cup my wris tright to under the ball and release with abit of speed so it dose not go so slow.

but if anything nice job on the 260game

AngeloPD
09-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the great video Bill!

Davec13
09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm just wondering if you would recommend Elmer's towing?

Did you have tape or something by your finger holes? The ball looked nice going down the lane though. I'm just jealous of the space you have to get over to 40. My lanes have above ground returns so bowling on the right lane you usually end up kicking the return.

billf
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Dave, yes I would recommend Elmer's towing. I bought a house off of Elmer ten years ago before he passed away. He was a good man as is his son, Damon.

Yes, I eventually put tape from the right finger hole to the PAP so the rotation would show better. I edited out the many phone calls and thought how hard it would be to see the rotation with such a dark ball. The greasy ball returns turn it black quickly though. I will have to do another video on a less busy week.

Most of the phone calls were from the football games being postponed Friday due to lightning so all my appointments were running late. I'm not on the bowling alley payroll but I even covered for a little bit. The kid working had to leave for a college tournament and his replacement was stuck playing at one of the games so I filled in while the general manager drove in.

Hot_pocket
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Are you shooting on wood lanes? i only know of one house with them where im at.

billf
09-23-2012, 08:34 PM
yes, those are wood lanes. The first four lanes were from the original bowling alley in the county so they are about 60 years old. The topography is horrible on them. I prefer synthetic but it's already 15 miles to this place. It would be another 35 miles to get synthetic. Much harder to justify that kind of drive just to practice. Plus I have a lot of freedom at my home center. It doesn't have an on-site pro shop and I'm one of two certified coaches in the county. I'm also the only volunteer for the youth leagues. With over 200 local bowlers and so many kids in the youth programs you would think others would at least want to help. I gave a speech the first day aimed mainly at the parents and so far they are abiding by my rules, thankfully. So even though the place is old and slightly worn out, it has it's charm. Plus if I win enough money playing Powerball I will open a new place with the current owner.

eugene02
09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
bill how do you place tape over a ball again? would like to do that and take a video..

billf
09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Take about a 3-4" piece and place it from the top edge of ring finger hole towards the PAP. Any general area will work, it doesn't have to be exact.

martinezsam2495
09-23-2012, 11:16 PM
I bowled a little past 30 games this past week,

billf
09-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I bowled a little past 30 games this past week,

And? 30 a week isn't much. I bowl 3 leagues on a regular basis. I coach Saturdays and bowl in between sessions. I have scheduled practice sessions on Wed, Thur and Fri.
I bowled 3 games Mon, 5 Tues, practice Wed for 15 games, practice Thur for 12 games, practice Fri for 12 games then subbed in a league. Bowled 32 games of practice Sat (including this video) before 3 games of league. I try to avoid bowling on Sundays but usually fail at that. When I say I'm at the bowling alley 30 hours a week (after working) it's not to just say hi and socialize. I go to bowl or coach. I can watch tv at home. It's bigger and has the volume turned on too unlike at the alley lol

That's a good start Sam but did you go for score or have a plan to improve specific areas?

martinezsam2495
09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
And? 30 a week isn't much. I bowl 3 leagues on a regular basis. I coach Saturdays and bowl in between sessions. I have scheduled practice sessions on Wed, Thur and Fri.
I bowled 3 games Mon, 5 Tues, practice Wed for 15 games, practice Thur for 12 games, practice Fri for 12 games then subbed in a league. Bowled 32 games of practice Sat (including this video) before 3 games of league. I try to avoid bowling on Sundays but usually fail at that. When I say I'm at the bowling alley 30 hours a week (after working) it's not to just say hi and socialize. I go to bowl or coach. I can watch tv at home. It's bigger and has the volume turned on too unlike at the alley lol

That's a good start Sam but did you go for score or have a plan to improve specific areas?

I think it's starting to affect me, lol
I'm not used to bowling that much, I've noticed yesterday in league that my ball speed dropped from 15 mph to 12~13. So I'm planning on not going bowling this week until league, my thumb started to blister today when I started working on 3 fingers, I started yesterday, and today had 4 hours of practice. I was with family so it wasn't like I bowled continuously for 4 hours. I really need some coaching because I feel my 3 finger approach isn't right. That's sometime I'll see myself doing haha, I go and say hi sometimes when Jerry or Ismael is working, because the other guy that works at the alley, is an asshole.
I went for practicing using my thumb, bowled a 140, first game, 120 2nd game, 165 (I had to switch to 2 fingers midway through the game because my thumb started to blister) I been trying to learn how to throw with revs but to no avail yet. Maybe it'll come soon in one of these practices.

75lockwood
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
I only bowled 6 games last week :( 3 in league, 3 in practice. once i get my league set up i hope to start bowling at least 20-30 games a week. I got that itch that bowling and bowling alone can scratch lol

eugene02
09-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Take about a 3-4" piece and place it from the top edge of ring finger hole towards the PAP. Any general area will work, it doesn't have to be exact.

mind to show a pic? I assume PAP = the track lines that my ball have?

AngeloPD
09-25-2012, 01:10 AM
mind to show a pic? I assume PAP = the track lines that my ball have?

Here is a screenshot i took in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicFPNb0YHw
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/3782/screenshot20120924at101.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/screenshot20120924at101.png/)

martinezsam2495
09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Bill,
is it true, since my lanes are dry to medium, does that mean the reason my ball stops hooking(reckless) is because it has no oil to hook on?
I was averaging a 170 with my dad's ball,
I'm confused... Just noticed this after watching Earl Anthony's instructional videos. It helped me a lot, and now I think I will be able to hook the ball, I have to fix my approach first.

billf
09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey Bill,
is it true, since my lanes are dry to medium, does that mean the reason my ball stops hooking(reckless) is because it has no oil to hook on?
I was averaging a 170 with my dad's ball,
I'm confused... Just noticed this after watching Earl Anthony's instructional videos. It helped me a lot, and now I think I will be able to hook the ball, I have to fix my approach first.

The Reckless is for medium-heavy oil conditions. For the most part, reactive-resin balls prefer to slide through the oil (thickest in the middle) then grab and turn at the end of the pattern. Revs allow the ball to skid further before grabbing. A THS is 32-44' in length with the oil between the 10 boards (some even more narrow than that). That's how and why so many bowlers cover a ton of boards during league. The throw it a an angle through the oil to maximize the skid phase. The longer the skid the longer the ball stores it's energy. So as the lanes dry the ball encounters more friction which uses more of the energy. That will cause a weak pocket hit. Once is gets even drier, it may just not grab at all due to losing too much energy to make the turn.

The solution: screw conventional wisdom. You can only move so deep before you're beyond the ball's capabilities. Plus dry is dry so why force the issue? I move ball side, play straight up the 5 board or will lay down at 10 out to 5 with revs. The straighter line seems to help retain the energy while the revs let the ball go long enough to create a nice entry angle. Or you can go to a weaker ball.

The above was the line I use to play with my plastic ball for the third game of league. I tried it one day with a reactive ball and was pleasantly surprised. It's a great line, takes practice to get use to but worth the time and effort. Basically, I discovered this by messing around just to see what would happen.

balance
12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know how to refinish the Terror to it's new condition. I have a spinner and various pads. However, when I looked at the information at bowlingballs.com they were not too precise. It says "sand to 500", "rough buff", "high gloss polish". The first item I understand but the other two are not precise. Can anyone help? Is there somewhere I might find the answer?

AngeloPD
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Sand it with 500 abralon pad
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7610/63941485.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/63941485.jpg/)

Then apply rough buff
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/619/78354989.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/78354989.jpg/)

Then polish
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/772/factoryfinishhighglossp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/factoryfinishhighglossp.jpg/)

m92680
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the great video! I have this balk along with a nano and almost threw this ball away, but after adjusting my hand angle for more revs this ballad is moving like I thought it would