PDA

View Full Version : Lucid ball review by Storm staffer Scott Widmer

SWidmer
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
The Lucid uses the M.A.D. (Maximum Accelerating Disc) core, the same core used in the Vivid.

The new ERG™ coverstock utilizes similar technology from the NRG™ coverstock (used in the Virtual Gravity Nano and Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl) but without the Nano additive. Evolution Reactive Genesis, ERG for short, is closer to a pure reactive which creates a later break point, putting more emphasis on the backend.

Storm also states that bowler's will see up to a 10% increase in entry angle from the new cover.

When I first read about the Lucid I was immediately excited to see what the ball would do and if it would live up to the hype. As a medium rev player (~370 RPM) I can always use a ball or two in my bag that will help me create more entry angle from deeper on the lane.

After spending a couple of weeks rolling the Lucid I’m definitely of the opinion that it’s worth all the hype and then some.

Out of the box the cover is matte finish 4000 abralon which provides great midlane control while maintaining the down lane reaction and hitting power. Adding polish allows the ball to glide through beat up heads with increased entry angle without becoming “squirty”. The surface prior to polishing will be an important factor in matching the ball to your game or desired reaction.

I liked the strong roll of the Vivid but the smooth backend reaction made it difficult for me to throw it on anything but fresh backends. The Lucid retains the strong roll the Vivid had but with much more down lane reaction.

Watch the Lucid compared to the Vivid at the 2:30 mark of this video. The ball hits the lane 2 boards left of the Vivid and comes back to flush the pocket from 3-4 boards farther right at the breakpoint. Same layout on both balls, the ERG cover makes all the difference here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_BpJ5JU8fk&feature=plcp

My Lucid layout is 60 degrees by 4 7/8 inches (pin to PAP) by 2 inches (pin buffer)

The Lucid is a ball that will clearly make a difference in your arsenal, it’s that good and that different.