PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys' stars hit the lanes for fun, worthy cause at 300 Dallas

onefrombills
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
By Gene J. Kanak
USBC Communications

ADDISON, Texas - Terrell Owens, Terence Newman and a cast of other Dallas Cowboys' stars traded their cleats for bowling shoes in order to have fun and show support for the Roy Williams Safety Net Foundation, which put on Round 4 of its Bowling with the Boys charity event at 300 Dallas on Nov. 6.

The event featured good food, hot music, a silent auction and a whole lot of celebrity bowling fun. All proceeds went to Williams' foundation, which assists low- to moderate-income single-mother households in their quest to become self-sufficient.

"There are so many single mothers working hard out there, and they need a hand up and a safety net before they hit the ground," Williams said. "We started here, but we're branching out and growing the foundation so that we can start helping mothers all across the country. That's what we want to do, and that's what we're going to do to make sure people get the help they need."

But while the purpose of the event was serious, the mood was all about fun, and it was clear that everyone in attendance appreciated Williams' decision to make bowling the featured activity of the night.

The choice was easy for Williams, who has enjoyed the sport since his childhood.

"My dad really has always enjoyed bowling, so this sport really takes me back to my days growing up," said Williams, who, when healthy, is a solid bowler in his own right. "I can't even tell you how many times I went to the bowling center with my dad when I was a kid, so this is fun for me, and a lot of the other guys really seem to enjoy it, too."

Strong safety Keith Davis, the self-proclaimed best bowler on the Cowboys, certainly seemed to enjoy himself, laughing and joking with his lane mates en route to an opening 193.

Newman didn't fare quite as well on the scoreboard, but that didn't temper his enjoyment or his desire to hit the lanes again.

"I don't bowl as often as I'd like to, but I do go to every event I can get to," Newman said. "Bowling is definitely a cool sport. I think we should organize a bowl-off between all 32 (NFL) teams. Each team can all get five players together, and we can compete to raise money for charity. I think that would be fun."

The likelihood of that event coming about is uncertain, but supporters can count on bowling being a part of future Roy Williams Safety Net Foundation events.

"Bowling is the thing," Williams said. "All of my teammates can come. It's competitive, and we all like it, so, why not bowling?"