PDA

View Full Version : How do players hook it over 4th, 5th arrow?

Ball99999
09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Especially the wide to the right hooks. I mean where do they stand exactly?

Also why is it that sometimes I'll see their bowl go mostly straight then all of a sudden jump to the right before hooking at the end?

jimlc2001
09-30-2012, 12:36 PM
They are standing behind the gutter. The jump you are describing is the coverstock's reaction--the change from skidding on the oil to the coverstock reacting on the drier boards and then the core provides the hook.

Ball99999
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
They are standing behind the gutter. The jump you are describing is the coverstock's reaction--the change from skidding on the oil to the coverstock reacting on the drier boards and then the core provides the hook.

But why does it move right?

bowl1820
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Just what is this "move right" your saying you see the ball makes? is there a example youtube video you could post a link too?

I'm getting the feeling what your seeing is just the ball transitioning through the phases of the ball motion (skid, hook and roll) and the precession of the track.

Tampabaybob
09-30-2012, 11:01 PM

The ball is actually heading straight toward the transition point (where it begins to hook), and then towards the breakpoint (where it will head straighter into the pocket. The guy's that can shoot those line rotate the hell out of the ball as well as usually having aggressive balls. I've been a stroker and then a twiner for years and can't even come close to swing a ball that much unless the lanes are completely fried. If they are fried it's still a very tough shot to play.

Bob

Ball99999
10-01-2012, 03:43 AM
My main question is about how they can hook it wide enough with the gutter right next to them, but about the thing about the ball moving right, this is more what I meant

http://i.imgur.com/lILDn.png

hard to find an example on youtube again tho

Big Nick
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
My guess (albeit one of a relative noob) would be that it just looks to be doing what you're describing. I'm not sure how you would go about rolling a ball that would even begin to have a double move like that.

billf
10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm no newb and I'm clueless too. Might be losing something in the translation.

bowl1820
10-05-2012, 10:17 PM
The closest thing I've seen was a ball make a S or snake like move about 3/4's of the way down the lane. The ball would skid then start to hook, then stop and slide right a little then hook again.

There was a old thread in another forum that I've been trying to find that mentioned it. I believe it had to do with a spotty type condition, but it wasn't something the bowler was trying to do.

Until I can see a example, I'll say it was just a optical illusion of some type.

Ball99999
10-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Funny thing is, it happened to me the other night. I have no idea how I did it either.
Next time I see it on youtube I'll remember to post it.

AngeloPD
10-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Funny thing is, it happened to me the other night. I have no idea how I did it either.
Next time I see it on youtube I'll remember to post it.

if you have a youtube account and you were logged in when you watched the video and now looking for that video again, there's a history section where you can see all the videos you watched.

Tampabaybob
10-06-2012, 04:27 AM
If an oil pattern that has started to dry up in certain place on the lanes, and if someone is throwing deep inside and were to hit those dry spots JUST RIGHT, it's conceivable you might see something like that reaction.

As Bowl1820 put it, your ball would start off on the heads by sliding, hit a really dry area in the midland area and start to hook early, then hit another wet area and skid again, then dry on the back end for a final hook/roll phase. Not really that uncommon in some THS shots but it's a very hard shot to score well on because that first area where the ball hooks and then slides again is going to lose some of the energy the ball has tried to store up early. Not the kind of shot that's conducive to high scoring.

I don't know of any examples, off hand, to even post either, so we have to make assumptions as to what you're actually seeing.

Bob