PDA

View Full Version : Changing balls during the night

mynamesbill
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had some advice for me. I bowl on a THS (wet middle and long/dry outside of 2). I average 205. I just had 2 balls drilled for me that I've wanted for specific reasons. I was already throwing a Columbia300 Pure Physics, usually 17 to 8. I got a Roto Grip Critial Theory drilled that can play in the oil a little more and still have a strong finish. I'm throwing that ball anywhere from 20-25 to 15-5 depending on the shot that night. Everyone in my house throws the same stroker/tweener shot between 5 and 10 so it breaks down very quickly. That ball is awesome by the way. I then had a Storm Tropical Breeze Pink/Purple drilled for when the lanes break down and I don't have the strength to go deeper. The issue I have is I don't know where to go back to and start throwing the Storm. What line should I pick up? Obviously I don't have practice between games 2 and 3 which is when I'd like to go to the weaker ball. The Storm won't play the line I start the night with the Critical Theory. Do you guys have any rules you use? I'm thinking something like 15 to 10 or 5 (to play in the breakdown) would work but I wanted some other opinions. So far the Storm hasn't left the bag except for during practice. I've just been moving closer to 25 an playing close to 3.

Thanks for your help. It's awesome that sites like this exist. There's not many coaches around and barely any alleys left to seek advice.

jimlc2001
10-02-2012, 12:46 AM
The best advice I can give is practice outside of league to see the best line for each ball during different lane conditions. However, if you are positive that you will use the TBreeze, throw it during your fill shot in the 10th frame. That way you can adjust for your first shot in the 3rd game.

My recommendation is to learn the difference between the 3 balls. For example, on a fresh shot the Crit Theory might be 20-8, the Pure Physics is 15-7, and the TBreeze is 7-7. So, on most situations you want to move 5 boards right (from your current position) when switching from the Theory to Physics. And move 8 boards right when going to the TBreeze from the Physics.