PDA

View Full Version : P.j. Haggerty leads tqr field in ultimate scoring championship

onefrombills
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM
P.J. Haggerty of Clovis, Calif. said Sunday was the best he has bowled so far this season and he certainly backed up that statement with his performance. Haggerty led Sunday’s Tournament Qualifying Round (TQR) with a 1,771 pinfall to easily earn a spot in the Ultimate Scoring Championship at Taylor Lanes. He bested the field by at least 54 pins and averaged 253 over the seven game block.

For Haggerty, it was a bit of personal retribution after not advancing past the TQR last week at the Lake County Indiana Golden Anniversary Championship in Hammond, Ind.

“I worked on my game last week after not making it out of TQR,” Haggerty said. “I worked with (PBA exempt player) Jeff Carter who helped me out with my timing and swing, and it all came together today. He definitely had a big part to my success today. It’s nice to bowl well. I haven’t bowled well the last three weeks but I felt good today.”

Advancing out of the TQRs is nothing new to the 23-year-old. Haggerty advanced into the main field seven times last season. He led the TQR field last year in Taylor in the Motor City Classic where he eventually finished 48th. His career best finish is 18th which he achieved at the Bayer Classic in El Paso, Texas, Feb. 6-10, 2008. So far this season, he advanced past the TQR at the Pepsi Viper Championship where he finished 44th.

Haggerty is confident that he can continue his success into Monday’s Round of 64 qualifying.

“The lanes always play differently from TQR to qualifying, but I’m just going to attack it like I usually do and try to stay with the (high-scoring) pace,” he said.

Also earning spots in Monday’s Round of 64 were Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y. with a score of 1,717, Gilbert Sanchez of Milvane, Kan. with 1,672 pins, Gregg Zicha of Glen Ellyn, Ill. with a score of 1,645, Johnathan Bower of Middletown, Pa. with 1,639 pins, John Slavich IV of Schaumburg, Ill. with a score of 1,638, Bill Rowe of Hamilton, Ontario with 1,635 pins and Corey Young of Steeleville, Ill. with a score of 1,633.

Monday’s competition continues with the qualifying round of 64, cutting down the field to the top 32 players.

PBA Single Elimination Match Play Format:
The field will bowl two 7-game blocks for a total of 14 games on Monday, Nov. 10 in which the top 32 players will advance. Bowlers making the cut will return on Tuesday morning, Nov. 11, competing in a single-elimination best 4-out-of-seven match play format in the Round of 32, Round of 16 and Round of 8. The final four will advance to Sunday’s finals which will be taped and air on ESPN on Sunday, Nov. 23.