PDA

View Full Version : rough buff

MICHAEL
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I have 2 Brunswick dv8 balls, It states 3 steps on almost all their ball! 500/rough buff/high polish!
I was told yesterday by a pro-shop guy, lets call him, hummmm ,,, how about JAMES, that you MUST follow their instructions to have the out of box great movement of ball. Can other things be used as a substitute? For instance, could just plain sand paper at appx 500, be used, then a polish with grit , and then a high polish,,,, what is a high polish! Two coats? Can you put too much polish on a ball as Bill mentioned. (( If you don’t have a lot of rev’s, can you leave off the HIGH POLISH?)) Does the polish need to be on in order to reduce the amount of oil absorbed by the ball, and make it save energy through the oil!
Do I need to use Brunswick items on the DV8 to get what I am looking for, that out of box movement I had but lost with polish!

1. 500 Siaair micro pad

2. rough buff

3. high polish

any sub's for the above?

MICHAEL
10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Why the 500 Siaair micro pad?? Whats wrong with just 500 sand paper, or the abralon pan,,, is it just a gmmick!

Zothen
10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Abralon!

Zothen

bowl1820
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Why the 500 Siaair micro pad?? Whats wrong with just 500 sand paper, or the abralon pan,,, is it just a gmmick!

I believe main things with the pads and papers are longevity and accuracy.

Papers use grading systems like ANSI &CAMI and have a wide tolerance range for the grit size. So say a 320 ansi grit paper can as much as 25 percent of the graded particles that aren’t the same size.

Now Abralon uses the FEPA "P" scale which has a tighter tolerance range and has more of the particles that are the same and uniform in size. So gives a more accurate cut thats closer to the that size.

Abralon uses silicon carbide particles as its abrasive and Siaair uses aluminum oxide as the abrasive.

As for longevity when they started using the new coverstock materials. The papers tended to wear out faster, so companies started using different and newer products, like trizact paper, abralon etc. They lasted longer etc.

and since thats what the companies used, thats what the bowlers want to use too.

Thats not say you can't use something else, just make sure to switch it for the proper one. Like if you want to use paper instead of a 500 abralon you'd have to go to about 320 paper.

bowl1820
10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I have 2 Brunswick dv8 balls, It states 3 steps on almost all their ball! 500/rough buff/high polish!
I was told yesterday by a pro-shop guy, lets call him, hummmm ,,, how about JAMES, that you MUST follow their instructions to have the out of box great movement of ball.
If you want the O.O.B. surface, then yes you should follow that.

Can other things be used as a substitute?
You could sub. something else for those, but unless you know exactly what to substitute you could be off.

For instance, could just plain sand paper at appx 500, be used, then a polish with grit ,
500 Abralon and 500 paper are not the same grit!
Abralon uses the FEPA "P" scale
Paper uses the CAMI/ANSI scale

A ABralon P500 is about 320 in CAMI/ANSI paper.

and then a high polish,,,, what is a high polish! Two coats? Can you put too much polish on a ball as Bill mentioned. (( If you don’t have a lot of rev’s, can you leave off the HIGH POLISH?))
When it comes to Brunswick products "High Polish" is usually referring to Brunswick’s Factory Finish High Gloss Polish and Rough buff is Brunswick’s Factory Finish Rough Buff.

Can you put on too much sure you can.

Can you leave it off? sure you can adjust the cover any way you want , to get the reaction need.

Does the polish need to be on in order to reduce the amount of oil absorbed by the ball, and make it save energy through the oil!
Do I need to use Brunswick items on the DV8 to get what I am looking for, that out of box movement I had but lost with polish!

1. 500 Siaair micro pad

2. rough buff

3. high polish

any sub's for the above?

MICHAEL
10-02-2012, 05:54 PM
When it comes to Brunswick products "High Polish" is usually referring to Brunswick’s Factory Finish High Gloss Polish and Rough buff is Brunswick’s Factory Finish Rough Buff.

A rough Buff is polish with grit, or fine sand mixed in the polish? My ball spinner came with dull polish, which is a polish with grit in it! ( Is that the same a rough buff)?
I notice that the time you do the finishing touches is much less! So how much time, on a spinner, you do each of the 3 steps is IMPORTANT!

bowl1820
10-02-2012, 10:24 PM
A rough Buff is polish with grit, or fine sand mixed in the polish?
I don't know what is in Rough Buff, Brunswick describes it as a semi-gloss or matte finish or rubbing compound.

A product that's was the same or vary similar to it is Tracks Clean'N Sheen which would take a ball from 320 to 1000 grit. (This use to be APP's Reaction heavy duty cleaner). Rough buff does the same.

These are not strictly a "Polishes" they are what were called a fill in glaze. (according to a old BTM article about polishes and such. I try and go back and find it.)

My ball spinner came with dull polish, which is a polish with grit in it! ( Is that the same a rough buff)?
I don't know, what was the brand name for it?

I notice that the time you do the finishing touches is much less! So how much time, on a spinner, you do each of the 3 steps is IMPORTANT!
How long to do each step? Some companies tell you times.(about 15-30 sec. a side) But in practice, you just got to try it and see what works for you.

Here's another thread about this same thing.
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10597-Rough-Buff

billf
10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
As long as the topic isn't Mike in the buff. That would really be rough!

billf
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I use what the manufacturer calls for to ensure I get the exact OOB finish. When time permits, like summer leagues, I play around with other companies stuff to try and duplicate the same. Storm has some very good polishes also, in my opinion.

MICHAEL
10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Bowel1820... WOULD YOU GET rid of the damn bug!!! ITS DRIVING ME Crazier!!! lol,,,, PLEASE in Gods name spray it, swat it, do something!!!

MICHAEL
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
As long as the topic isn't Mike in the buff. That would really be rough!

NOt to worry Wild Bill!!! I woulden't want to drive the women insane!!! lol (I like the way that sound,,, Wild Buff Bill!!) lol

MICHAEL
10-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I know this has been covered before, but is there a differance between just using Rubbing Compound, and Rough Buff on bowling balls! Rough Buff is MUCH more expensive!!

bowl1820
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I know this has been covered before, but is there a differance between just using Rubbing Compound, and Rough Buff on bowling balls! Rough Buff is MUCH more expensive!!

Yes it has been.

Since Rough Buff is a type of rubbing compound , you could substitute something else.

One that comes to mind is Turtle Wax's Rubbing Compound Heavy duty Cleaner (will it be exactly the same? No close) and if you get it. Then you should get the Polishing compound also.

These two have been used for years as low cost alternative to the other polishes.

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/turtle_wax__polishing_rubbing_compound_T230A_T241A _.jpg

billf
10-07-2012, 12:54 PM
When I mentioned months ago about trying car wax (polish) I was laughed at. The strange thing was the Meguiars polish I used smelled just like the bottle of Storm reacta polish I had.

bowl1820
10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
When I mentioned months ago about trying car wax (polish) I was laughed at. The strange thing was the Meguiars polish I used smelled just like the bottle of Storm reacta polish I had.

The thing with car products is you have to watch and don't get one's with silicone in them.

bowl1820
10-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Here's a old post I made:
Most Ball polishes started life out as car polishes, that had been re-purposed and relabeled. The thing to watch out for is not to use ones with Silicone or Wax in them.
Because it plugs the pores up.

Some auto ones that are typically used on bowling balls are:
Turtle Wax's Rubbing compound (red tub) & Polishing compound (green tub) red is coarse, green finer.
3M Finesse It, 3M Microfinishing Rubbing Compound, 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound ( these three range from fine,medium and coarse grit)

Another thing to have is
Soft scrub (no bleach) it can make some nice sheen surfaces, depending on Underlaying grit update: and depending on coverstock material.

It was great on proactive coverstocks
Example:
(I did a guys Tombstone (thats a ball it was a big flop) with it, that ball was dead as dead could get He said I wouldn't be able to get it to hook again . I resurfaced it finished it off with soft scrub, it looked brand new which was saying a lot if you know the tombstones, you couldn't see a one sanding line on that ball.

First time he threw that ball down the lane, he threw it like he had been trying to make it hook. That thing hooked right off the lane before it hit the pins.)