PDA

View Full Version : Walter Ray Williams, Jr. Claims 45th Career Title At

onefrombills
11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
HAMMOND, IND. (November 9, 2008) — Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla. took home his 45th Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour title today at the Lake County Indiana Golden Anniversary Championship at Olympia Lanes in Hammond, Ind. Williams Jr. defeated Bill O’Neill of Levittown, Penn., 246-202, in the televised championship round.

“When I first joined the PBA Tour years ago, I thought I’d win four or five titles,” said Williams, Jr. “But now I’ve won 45 titles and I feel great. Anytime you can win, it’s great.”

With that 45th title, Williams Jr. continues his reign as the PBA’s winningest bowler. In addition to being the all-time titles leader, Williams Jr. is also the money leader; with this week’s win in Lake County, his career earnings total $4,030,116. He broke the $4 million dollar mark in career earnings at last week’s Pepsi Viper Championship in Omaha, Neb.

“Things have been going my way, the pins have been falling down,” said Williams, Jr. “I feel like I should be bowling with the seniors, my knee is sore, my wrist is sore, but it worked out okay.”

To advance to the final, Williams Jr. beat out Mike Scroggins of Amarillo, Texas, 258-222.

O’Neill advanced to the final by defeating friend and amateur bowler Anthony LaCaze of Glen Ellyn, Ill., 235-214. The two bowled together at Saginaw Valley State University and O’Neill served as LaCaze’s best man at his wedding to wife Alaya. LaCaze’s third-place finish is the highest for an amateur since the PBA switched formats to all all-exempt field during the 2004-05 season.

Senior bowler Timothy Kauble of Marion, Ohio claimed his first career senior title Sunday at the Lake County Indiana Golden Anniversary Championship; additionally, Sunday’s championship round marked his first career television appearance.

“It feels different than anything I’ve done before,” said Kauble. “I got some tips from (PBA Hall of Famer) Carmen Salvino about looking at the crowd and such.”

Kauble defeated Hugh Miller of Seattle, Wash., 235-185, for the win. Kauble barely made the cut for the senior tournament and was seeded eighth going into match play.

“It helped that Hugh didn’t have anything on the lanes today,” said Kauble of his win. “I was seeded eighth, I didn’t have anywhere to go but up.”

Sunday’s telecast marked the first time that a PBA Senior Tour event had been televised since 2001.

The 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour will air next Sunday at 1 p.m. EST with the Chameleon Championship, live from Taylor, Mich.

Media note: Photos from the event are available at http://www.pba.com/media/pressRoomCredentialsOnly/ and enter “pbamediacred” as the login and “presspass” as the password and upon request. All photos should be credited to PBA.

Lake County Indiana Golden Anniversary Championship Results (PBA and Senior PBA)

Semifinals
#9 Bill O'Neill ($13,000), Levittown, Pa., def. #21 Anthony LaCaze ($6,000), Glen Ellyn, Ill., 1-0 (235-214).

#22 Walter Ray Williams Jr. ($25,000), Ocala, Fla., def. #23 Mike Scroggins ($6,000), Amarillo, Texas, 1-0 (258-222).

Finals
#22 Walter Ray Williams Jr. ($25,000), Ocala, Fla., def. #9 Bill O'Neill ($13,000), Levittown, Pa., 1-0 (246-202).

Senior Finals

#8 Timothy Kauble ($10,000), Marion, Ohio, def. #2 Hugh Miller ($6,000), Seattle, Wash., 1-0 (235-185).

For full results, click here.

For complete senior results, click here.

About the PBA

The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) features the best bowlers in the world competing in National, Regional and Senior Tour events. The organization has more than 4,000 members spanning 13 countries, and nearly one million viewers tune-in to watch the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour every Sunday on ESPN throughout the season. PBA sponsors include Bayer, Brunswick, CLR, Denny's, Etonic, Flomax, GEICO, Go RVing, H&R Block, Lumber Liquidators, Motel 6, Pepsi-Cola and the USBC, among others. For more information on the PBA, log on to www.pba.com

The KingPin
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Walter Ray is a king in the bowling world. Do you think he can beat?

onefrombills
11-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I love this line by him ...

“When I first joined the PBA Tour years ago, I thought I’d win four or five titles,” said Williams, Jr. “But now I’ve won 45 titles and I feel great. Anytime you can win, it’s great.”

NoTapNorm
11-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Another win by the man from Morich!!!