PDA

View Full Version : New Lady Bowler - Need Help with Shoes Please

jperks
10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm Jackie. I am a brand new, right-handed female bowler and brand new to this forum. Before I develop bad habits with lousy equipment, I need to make some purchases as I just joined a league. I have a brand new bowling ball, which has already helped. However, the rental shoes have gotta go! I am researching shoes and a little confused. The cheaper pairs have slides on both feet and I'm not sure I want that. For some reason, I am already developing some pain in my left hip with my sticky rentals. I have flat feet and a narrow heel, too so I need to be careful if I purchase online. I tried on some cheaper pairs at the store by Dexter and the Lori was the only thing that was deep enough to really lace up well for a snug fit (and came the closest to being a good fit overall). Can anyone help suggest a brand and type suitable for someone like me and beginning this at almost 50 years old! Is it best to have just one sliding foot? Comfort, support, and good form are very important to me.

Thanks!

Jackie

Zothen
10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the boards!

I personally have a pair of Dexter shoes. I prefer to wear the slide shoe and a tennis shoe as it helps me be more controlled. I would suggest going to your local pro shop and trying some on their and they can look up in their catalog for shoes that might have a better fit. I would also suggest bring foot inserts if you wear any and try them. I put insert in my shoes and find they fit better and are more comfortable to wear. You dont need to spend a lot of money on shoes if you can a decent pair for $40-$80. Also you might want to try on some mens shoes and see if they fit better.

Only 2 brands I know of Dexter & Linds,thogh your pro shop will have a catalog of other companies.

Zothen

jperks
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Thank you, Zothen. My husband mentioned inquiring about men's shoes, too. To your comment about the tennis shoe, I thought street shoes were not allowed?

Thanks again.

Jackie

J Anderson
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Thank you, Zothen. My husband mentioned inquiring about men's shoes, too. To your comment about the tennis shoe, I thought street shoes were not allowed?

Thanks again.

Jackie

As long as the shoe or sneaker is only worn for bowling it is fine. Just carry it from your car and change shoes when you get your lane.

Even the cheapest shoes will slide better than the rentals. Rentals get all sorts of abuse, like people walking partway down the lane into the oil, picking up moisture from wet floors in the restrooms and near the snack bar. The main down side of the cheap shoes is having the right shoe slip as you make your approach.

Demoman
10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
As long as the shoe or sneaker is only worn for bowling it is fine. Just carry it from your car and change shoes when you get your lane.

Even the cheapest shoes will slide better than the rentals. Rentals get all sorts of abuse, like people walking partway down the lane into the oil, picking up moisture from wet floors in the restrooms and near the snack bar. The main down side of the cheap shoes is having the right shoe slip as you make your approach.

Any tennis shoe is not allowed at both the lanes I bowl at - strictly for bowling with receipt in hand or not. Make sure you check with the alley before going that route. With that said you can find many shoes with your needs -

75lockwood
10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the boards!

The idea with the slides on the shoes is that you want to be able to slide on your final step before release, so being right handed you will want the slide on the left shoe. From what i understand the reason the shoes with slide's on both feet are cheaper is due to them being generic and compatible with a left or right handed bowler. I personally use a pair of bowling shoes with slides on both feet (yes it was because they were cheaper) as a beginner having the slide on both feet shouldn't affect you, when you plant your right foot the rubber on the back half of the shoe stops all sliding. like zothan said going with a tennis shoe on your non dominant foot is an option you can explore, but as beginner bowler there are more significant things to worry about.

as for where to buy your shoes, i recommend going to a local proshop and trying on different shoes to find the best fit. once you find the shoes that are most comfortable you can compare the proshop price to online to see which is the best buy.

Good luck!

PS, may i ask which bowling ball you bought?

billf
10-02-2012, 09:51 PM
welcome to the forum. I concur with visiting the local pro shop(s) too ensure correct fit and comfort.

Zothen
10-02-2012, 10:36 PM
In regards to tennis shoes,most alleys will let you wear it as long as the soles don't leave a mark. Take front toe and scrape it on lane and if it leaves a black mark don't wear it. Now Dexter makes the SST 8 which has universal sole,which means you can take the slide part off and switch it with the opposite shoe. This way you will have 1 shoe with a slide and the other will be like a tennis shoe. I just bought a pair for around $150. That is an option!

Zothen